• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windy City Pedigrees- What Did They Sell For?

125 posts in this topic

Looking around I found some more background info on the Windy City collection.

Here's an article in the July 7, 1955 edition of the Uniontown (PA) Evening Standard on Andy Wallace. I love his perspective that collecting first issues is a means of passing the time pleasantly...

Andy was born in 1903 and passed away in 1972. Anna died in 1984 and the bank eventually disposed of her estate. In the house they found another thousand books that were not a part of the collection I purchased. They disposed of the comics through an auction in December 1987. Dave Anderson was at the auction and sent me a list.

After double-checking this list, somebody please tell Billy Parker that there was a Yankee 1 in this auction. If Anderson bought it and subsequently had it graded and CGC designated it the WC because of this provenance, then his Yankee is a bona WC - at least it came from the same collector.

With all this added information, I'm not sure if the Windy City collection should be the Windy City collection any longer. I believe Andy Wallace belongs in the pantheon of collectors that includes Edgar Church and Lamont Larson. I may start referring to the books as WALLACES.

lol

It's funny how much stuff I'm finding that I never knew I had...

YAY!

omgosh, I can't believe you are going to accept this as legitimizing your second hand, wanna be pedigree notation...geesh, maybe I can convince you Florida really did beat Nebraska :baiting:

Maybe CGC could designate it as the "He said so" pedigree. :wishluck:

Here's an article in the July 7, 1955 edition of the Uniontown (PA) Evening Standard on Andy Wallace. I love his perspective that collecting first issues is a means of passing the time pleasantly...

Andy was born in 1903 and passed away in 1972. Anna died in 1984 and the bank eventually disposed of her estate. In the house they found another thousand books that were not a part of the collection I purchased. They disposed of the comics through an auction in December 1987. Dave Anderson was at the auction and sent me a list.

After double-checking this list, somebody please tell Billy Parker that there was a Yankee 1 in this auction. If Anderson bought it and subsequently had it graded and CGC designated it the WC because of this provenance, then his Yankee is a bona WC - at least it came from the same collector.

With all this added information, I'm not sure if the Windy City collection should be the Windy City collection any longer. I believe Andy Wallace belongs in the pantheon of collectors that includes Edgar Church and Lamont Larson. I may start referring to the books as WALLACES.

lol

It's funny how much stuff I'm finding that I never knew I had...

YAY!

omgosh, I can't believe you are going to accept this as legitimizing your second hand, wanna be pedigree notation...geesh, maybe I can convince you Florida really did beat Nebraska :baiting:

Maybe CGC could designate it as the "He said so" pedigree. :wishluck:

I thought it was only CGC and Heritage that designated every accumulation of many books a new pedigree....The input of us mere mortals is no longer needed nor wanted...........jb

Hey Gary,

I am keeping my fingers crossed that you come across an Action 1 that you didn't remember tucking away.

Every time that the seller would stop in my shop with a new batch of books, I would ask him, "Did you get the Action this time?"

Never happened... :sorry:

Gary, any other Centaurs in the Windy City collection besides Super Spy #1, Star Ranger #1 & Wham #1.

What about Arrow, Fantoman, or Amazing Adv.Funnies #1. hm

and dare I say it??? Detective Picture Stories #1. :o

Here are all the Centaurs on the list. I apologize if some of the photos are not horizontal - I tried to rotate them in Photobucket and only some worked.

Arrow 1 (graded as VF - beautiful) traded for $800.

Amazing Adventure Funnies 1 (graded as VG -covers soiled, worn) traded as a FINE for $700.

Amazing Mystery Funnies 2 (graded as GOOD - cover soiled by book OK) traded for $300.

Comics Magazine 1 - (graded as VF - solid, but shadow on cover) sold as a VG for $300 :o (Overstreet mint was $350 - so $300 was 5 times VG guide...).

Comics Magazine 2, 3, 4 - all had no covers brittle - no sales info

Detective Picture Stories 1 (graded as FINE - brown) traded for $600.

Detective Picture Stories 5 (graded as VG - splash page has stain) no sales info.

Detective Eye 1 (graded as GOOD - cover damaged - scuffed - shadow - browning) traded as a VG for $300.

Fantoman 2 (graded as VF- shadow on cover - nice) no sales info

Funny Picture Stories 1 (FINE - browning throughout) $700 in trade.

Masked Marvel 1 (FINE - shadows on cover) $650 in trade.

Star Comics 1 (FINE - solid, cover glossy) sold as a FINE for $200.

Star Ranger 1 (VG - solid, cover glossy) sold as a Fine for $175.

Stars and Stripes 2 (VF - nice, interior slight browning) no sales info.

Western Picture Stories 1 (VF - very nice!) sold for $500 (mint guide was $180)

Western Picture Stories 2 (GOOD - browning, bottom staple loose) sold for $125.

Western Picture Stories 3 (FAIR - spine split, brown) sold for $125.

Gary104.jpg

Gary106.jpg

Gary105.jpg

Gary100.jpg

Gary093.jpg

Gary088.jpg

Gary057.jpg

After double-checking this list, somebody please tell Billy Parker that there was a Yankee 1 in this auction. If Anderson bought it and subsequently had it graded and CGC designated it the WC because of this provenance, then his Yankee is a bona WC - at least it came from the same collector.I believe Andy Wallace belongs in the pantheon of collectors that includes Edgar Church and Lamont Larson. I may start referring to the books as WALLACES.

Gary- You and I are on the same page. It just "humanizes" a slice of americana.

I did not find the Larson collection, but I found the PERSON and the history of the books. There was the rush for me. It was an itch that had to be scratched, and I used a little ingenuity and found him.

So may I be the first to say to you: "Great collection of Wallaces" you had!!!!

The books become less a commodity, but a piece of history by attaching real people to the books......each with their different story.

Brightly colored booklets intended to separate a kid from his dime. (To me the picture of Lamont as a nine year old in my article says it all.)

Too bad you do not have the alternate list of the other Wallace books. As you know, I came up with six "Lost Larsons" (not in the original Larson find) when my article on Larson appeared in the Warsau Gazette.

Happy New Year.....jb

Well, after poking around I did find the list of the "Lost Wallaces". Apparently all the books on this list were found three years after Anna died. They were stored in an out building on the property and the guy who I bought the books from (who was convinced that he got them all - otherwise he never would have left these) was not aware of them. The bank disposed of them with the remainder of her estate. Some very interesting books here: Yankee 1 :o, Young Allies 1, Pogo 1, Powerhouse Pepper 1, Punch 1, Scoop 1, Remember Pearl Harbor, Doll Man 1, a second copy of New Comics 1 and many others.

The ad states that there were 1,000 issues, so the bulk of this auction were in the lots on page 3.

Lot number 223 is listed as Price Guides. hm

A local PA collector was at this sale and he purchased as many as he could. The auction was not well attended since the ad that the auction house ran in CBG ran after the auction! He sent them to me and I sent them back after inspecting them. They were not as nice as the books that were kept in the main house.

EstateSale.jpg

Estate1.jpg

Estate2.jpg

Estate3.jpg

Gary, any other Centaurs in the Windy City collection besides Super Spy #1, Star Ranger #1 & Wham #1.

Here are all the Centaurs on the list. I apologize if some of the photos are not horizontal - I tried to rotate them in Photobucket and only some worked.

Amazing Adventure Funnies 1 (graded as VG -covers soiled, worn) traded as a FINE for $700.

Amazing Mystery Funnies 2 (graded as GOOD - cover soiled by book OK) traded for $300.

Comics Magazine 1 - (graded as VF - solid, but shadow on cover) sold as a VG for $300 :o (Overstreet mint was $350 - so $300 was 5 times VG guide...).

Detective Picture Stories 5 (graded as VG - splash page has stain) no sales info.

Detective Eye 1 (graded as GOOD - cover damaged - scuffed - shadow - browning) traded as a VG for $300.

Gary104.jpg

Gary106.jpg

Gary105.jpg

Gary100.jpg

Gary093.jpg

Gary088.jpg

Gary057.jpg

Thanks for the Centaur info Gary!!!! (thumbs u

I didn't realize the collection went all the way back to Comics Magazine #1. I figured around Jan 1937 or so and was hoping for Nov. Dec 1936. Didn't know there was a Star #1 either.

You must have (excuse my french) your pants when you saw what was sitting there before your eyes. :o

Great story and insight.

Been loving this thread, but seeing this reminded me I was not a good caretaker of this book.

I sliced the top of the cover about 2-3" with a particularly sharp mylar and had to send it off to Susan to fix while I was collecting Centaurs back then. :cry:

I thought it was only CGC and Heritage and Metropolis and Comiclink and Doug Schmell that designated every accumulation of many books a new pedigree....The input of us mere mortals is no longer needed nor wanted...........jb

Fixed that for ya!

Been loving this thread, but seeing this reminded me I was not a good caretaker of this book.

I sliced the top of the cover about 2-3" with a particularly sharp mylar and had to send it off to Susan to fix while I was collecting Centaurs back then. :cry:

:makepoint:

:makepoint:

Dean Mullaney of Eclipse called me to see if I had a Teen-Age Dope Slaves. Evidently it was in the public domain and he was going to publish a reprint of it. I sent him my Windy City copy with the caveat to please be careful opening it since the interior was so fragile after not be opened for 30+ years.

When I got it back it was literally in pieces! The guy they had shooting negatives smooshed it flat and it all just crumbled apart. :makepoint:

And it took me almost a year to collect $300 for their destroying it. :frustrated:

At least I got credit in the reprint... meh

Gary104.jpg

Gary106.jpg

Gary105.jpg

Gary100.jpg

Gary093.jpg

Gary088.jpg

Gary057.jpg

Thanks for the Centaur info Gary!!!! (thumbs u

I didn't realize the collection went all the way back to Comics Magazine #1. I figured around Jan 1937 or so and was hoping for Nov. Dec 1936. Didn't know there was a Star #1 either.

You must have (excuse my french) your pants when you saw what was sitting there before your eyes. :o

Great story and insight.

Seeing this raised my core temperature about 5 degrees!

Gary106.jpg

Who has this I wonder?

There was an Ace King in one of the earlier photos, which means this collection goes back to at least 1933, maybe even predating Funnies on Parade. That must make this the oldest pedigree right? I know there is a Lost Valley Famous Funnies 2---does any one know of any earlier pedigree books? Are there sencond-hand Church books that old?

I thought it was only CGC and Heritage and Metropolis and Comiclink and Doug Schmell that designated every accumulation of many books a new pedigree....The input of us mere mortals is no longer needed nor wanted...........jb

Fixed that for ya!

And don't forget Dave Anderson for Mile High/Church copies! lol

Fixed that for ya!

I am sure it was all in good fun, but please do not amend the language of my posts by adding your language even if bolded. I said what I said. I do not want to generate unnecessary misunderstandings. Thank you. jb

I would be interested in any notes on the Great 3. I was surprised to see it in there as it's obviously not a #1.

Gary100.jpg

Interesting that 26 kilroys and Giggle 1 were in the later auction. I'll scan and post my cow puncher 1 when I get home. I'll trace back who I purchased the Kilroys 1 Giggle 1 and Cow Puncher 1 from. I purchased them with a friend and he purchased others at the time around 1990-1992.