• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb Heritage Auction

612 posts in this topic

You know, one thing I will say for Heritage is they have a really nice set-up with their website for the live auction. This was the first time in a while that I have watched it live. A few things I think are really nice:

1. How I can track items

2. How my tracked items are highlighted in the items coming to the floor.

3. The cut button for when I know I should stop bidding but have no self control.

4. Image popping up so I can see the item

5. Audio, worked great for me.

I'm bummed. The only item I really wanted in this auction was the Doonesbury OA, and ended up being the underbidder. Unfortunately Heritage holds its live auctions during my sleeping hours so all I can do is put in my internet bid before I go to sleep and let it ride.

I agreee Im surprised that the Absolute cover went for 1/2 the price of the interior splash. But I think thats mostly due to the level of detail in the pieces comparatively. The interior splash does have a more detailed line at times vs the very very sketchy version of the slipcase cover. I would have thought $30k would have been more in line....

This is not accurate. The reason they went for less is because the art was done 10 years later. With DKR art, the only OA that truly matters is the art done for the original books - anything done by Frank Miller afterwards, like for the Absolute edition pieces, are not considered part of the canon, and therefore go for much less.

for a great piece however, that distinction will erode away like prices between Silver and Golden age comics which are only 20 years apart.

I highly doubt it.

I agree...with you both. As a collector who got DKR as it was released, it's all about the original material for me. Given the choice between a B page from the series or an A pinup from a later edition, it's a no-brainer...I go for the page. As it turns out both will run about the same amount right now.

(I'm really only concerned with the 10th Anniversary art and not the Absolute cover.)

But hard to say what future collectors will value more. I can definitely see the later pinups gaining traction, for a lot of reasons. For one, the 10th Anniversary pinups are included in the TPB. The majority of DKR readers read it in a TPB, and not in individual issues. For them, there is no difference. Also, and perhaps more importantly, an argument could be made that, artwise, the 10th Anniversary art is "better". Much of DKR was drawn with Klaus Janson, which was problematic. Even the pages that Miller inked himself was done with Lynn Varley's coloring in mind. The 10th Anniversary pieces, on the other hand, are fully realized, uncompromised Frank Miller DKR art. Anyhow, time will tell.

my prediction for final total is 8,501,500.00 a world record

"World record"?

For what? Certainly not for an art or collectibles auction. In fact, probably not even for a Heritage Auction -- as I think coins generate more cash. The hype here erodes credibility. No one awards a "world record" for most cash raked in by Heritage per comic auction. If they did, it's probably a record that gets broken on average every year or so given inflation. Why not just say that "this was Heritage's most successful auction to date"?

Here is one, I decided not get....SLEEPER......

not listed in overstreet...too rare

ONly cgc copy graded

1937 and similar to Det comics 1 BUT RARER

Picture Crimes #1 1937 david macay

and here is good part...$375 current bid

Also check out 100 pages of comics at 9.0 1937 dell giant IF the price is right and right now its less than 1/2 overstreet at 700.

Never sell, trade, I did last year sell some comic art and was happy with the results, two wins, a bunch of losses, but that is ok, if book is great, the price has to be right also, that is my rule on secondary issues.

I do like the picture crimes #1 super rare and at 375 the best buy in the whole auction at this point. was gonna buy it, but got a lead on something else outside of the auction.

Was anyone surprised that some of the very early Curator FF's didn't do better than they did? Some of the prices (#4 and #12 for example) were bascially at already established GPA high's. Having said that some of the books that looked like they could have been under graded went for stupid prices.

Serious bidding wars on some of those GA Subbys, which sent prices to multiples of GPA. Subby 14 in 6.5 went for $4.2K (a 9.0 last year went for $3.3K), whilst Subby 17, also in 6.5, went for nearly $5.7K, which is insane. Astounding prices for non-key Sub-Mariners with good, but not great covers that are not all that uncommon.