• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lowest CGC Serial Number Thread

46 posts in this topic

I believe this is the first slabbed book.

WALT DISNEY'S COMICS AND STORIES #1 CGC 8.5

Ahh, the ol' start-numbering-at-1000-trick to make it look like you've been around for awhile! I used to do this when I opened up a checking account. That's very cool, I was surprised the listing made no mention of it being the first slabbed book...

No, the invoice number is the first 7 digits. The last 3 are it's position on the invoice.

Yep...

Invoice: 0000001

Book: 001

Which is odd why they have three digits for the book number when you can only put 30 books on a single invoice.

You can put 100 copies of X-Force #1 as a single line item on a submission form and each one would require its own distinct serial number; therefore, requiring three digits.

They would be broken into 4 different invoices in that case.

All three digits are sometimes used. I just checked my inventory and I have a book with serial number 0048541212.

Nice detective work! :golfclap:

132-11.JPG

Kind of ironic that its the first graded book and it says "Opening Number" on the book itself hm

Nice detective work! :golfclap:

132-11.JPG

Kind of ironic that its the first graded book and it says "Opening Number" on the book itself hm

I thought I read that the earliest books graded didn't have the page quality designation? Or did they stop after a little while and then go back to designating PQ?

Ahh, the ol' start-numbering-at-1000-trick to make it look like you've been around for awhile! I used to do this when I opened up a checking account. That's very cool, I was surprised the listing made no mention of it being the first slabbed book...

No, the invoice number is the first 7 digits. The last 3 are it's position on the invoice.

Yep...

Which is odd why they have three digits for the book number when you can only put 30 books on a single invoice.

You can put 100 copies of X-Force #1 as a single line item on a submission form and each one would require its own distinct serial number; therefore, requiring three digits.

Wouldn't that submission be rejected, just on principle alone?

;)

Metropolis' press release, February, 2000:

"Since it's inception CGC has been the topic for much debate and now that the company has opened its doors to the public I can happily say that their graded product has been met with a very positive response from the comic book community. I anticipate that CGC will have a very positive effect on the future of the hobby. I have already put my money where my mouth is by purchasing the first CGC graded book sold on Ebay- an FF#1 in VG/FN condition"

This is not my book, but it was the 3rd book to be graded. It has since become a 9.6 White. GOD BLESS..

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FantasticFour-1-96.jpg

Technically, it's the first book of the third invoice to be processed and there could have been multiple books on previous invoices. However, it's hard to pinpoint or even talk about early, low serial numbers since that would be the luck of the draw once the invoices were printed and do not mean that a book was graded earlier than another.

Unless there were multiple copies of the same book, the first books to be graded appear to have been:

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 1

Daredevil 1 (1964)

Fantastic Four 1

Detective Comics 27

Mystery Men Comics 3

All Select Comics 1

Adventure Comics 247

Amazing Spider-Man 1

Crypt of Terror 17

Crypt of Terror 18

Crypt of Terror 19

Tales from the Crypt 20 (#1)

Showcase 24

Fantastic Four 5

Fantastic Four 48

Incredible Hulk 181

X-Men 3

Tales of Suspense 39

Giant-Size X-Men 1

Strange Tales 110

...in that order. I don't have the grades or the serial numbers, but CGC uses a "ComicID" that is sequential. ComicID #1 is the Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 1.

ComicID #2 is Daredevil 1 (1964), etc.

Detective Comics #27 is #4, as you can see, and if anyone's interested... Action Comics #1 is ComicID #1995.

Unless there were multiple copies of the same book, the first books to be graded appear to have been:

Daredevil 1 (1964)

Fantastic Four 1

Detective Comics 27

Mystery Men Comics 3

All Select Comics 1

Adventure Comics 247

Amazing Spider-Man 1

Crypt of Terror 17

Crypt of Terror 18

Crypt of Terror 19

Showcase 24

Fantastic Four 5

Fantastic Four 48

Incredible Hulk 181

X-Men 3

Tales of Suspense 39

Giant-Size X-Men 1

Strange Tales 110

...in that order. I don't have the grades or the serial numbers, but CGC uses a "ComicID" that is sequential. ComicID #1 is the Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 1.

Detective Comics #27 is #4, as you can see, and if anyone's interested... Action Comics #1 is ComicID #1995.

Heavy on the keys.

Daredevil 1 (1964)

Fantastic Four 1

Detective Comics 27

Mystery Men Comics 3

All Select Comics 1

Adventure Comics 247

Amazing Spider-Man 1

Crypt of Terror 17

Crypt of Terror 18

Crypt of Terror 19

Showcase 24

Fantastic Four 5

Fantastic Four 48

Incredible Hulk 181

X-Men 3

Tales of Suspense 39

Giant-Size X-Men 1

Strange Tales 110

Heavy on the keys.

No kidding. :cloud9:

. . . the invoice number is the first 7 digits. The last 3 are it's position on the invoice.

Yep...

I get it now, thank you!!

hm

Is the invoice numbering system segmented into different ages?

Or, is the invoice numbering strictly chronological?

. . . the invoice number is the first 7 digits. The last 3 are it's position on the invoice.

Yep...

I get it now, thank you!!

hm

Is the invoice numbering system segmented into different ages?

Or, is the invoice numbering strictly chronological?

Invoice numbering doesn't mean much about chronology beyond the first few.

CGC pre-printed numbered invoices and distributed them...

when an invoice is eventually used is up to the submitters/dealers.

I still have some blank invoices for whenever my next submission will be,

but they've been in my hands for 5+ years.

They're "old" invoice numbers, but the submission will be in the future..