• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT? A boys dream

48 posts in this topic

I sold those personalized Christmas cards that were advertised in comic books. I went door-to-door for months. Turns out, I was a pretty good salesman. I ended up with enough points for the telescope I wanted. The body turned out to be a large diameter cardboard tube, but it actually worked fairly well. My customers were happy too; the cards were good quality and nicely printed with their names.

This was in addition to my paper route and my lawn mowing business. I wonder how many kids these days actually work to get their Xboxes, iPhones, iPads, etc.?

I doubt many parents would allow their kids to go door to door selling stuff like we did as kids. I also sold those cards one year. I must have knocked on hundreds if not thousands of doors and in the end sold 98% to friends and relatives. I took the money( perhaps a dollar a box) instead of the prizes.

I sold those personalized Christmas cards that were advertised in comic books. I went door-to-door for months. Turns out, I was a pretty good salesman. I ended up with enough points for the telescope I wanted. The body turned out to be a large diameter cardboard tube, but it actually worked fairly well. My customers were happy too; the cards were good quality and nicely printed with their names.

This was in addition to my paper route and my lawn mowing business. I wonder how many kids these days actually work to get their Xboxes, iPhones, iPads, etc.?

I doubt many parents would allow their kids to go door to door selling stuff like we did as kids. I also sold those cards one year. I must have knocked on hundreds if not thousands of doors and in the end sold 98% to friends and relatives. I took the money( perhaps a dollar a box) instead of the prizes.

Haha. That's pretty awesome. I remember doing that - with seeds, I think - trying to get one of those treasured items on the back of a comic book. I don't even recall how it turned out. I went door-to-door, too.

It's a shame that there are fewer children in this age have little motivation or ingenuity. My friends kids, as well as my stepchildren seem more content to sit on the couch and do nothing, rather than chores or small jobs for money. :mad:

Not that I want to sound like :preach:

But when I ran low on allowance money, and I needed my comic book fix - my @ss was knocking on doors asking people if I could mow their lawns.

I still can't believe that someone didn't throw her out of the con. Beachbum took the photo at the 2010 WW Austin show on Friday.

IMG_20101112_151613.jpg

...and every guy in the background is more interested in the comic books in their hands. Yep, she's at a comic convention.

I still can't believe that someone didn't throw her out of the con. Beachbum took the photo at the 2010 WW Austin show on Friday.

IMG_20101112_151613.jpg

...and every guy in the background is more interested in the comic books in their hands. Yep, she's at a comic convention.

So true :roflmao:

Haha. That's pretty awesome. I remember doing that - with seeds, I think - trying to get one of those treasured items on the back of a comic book. I don't even recall how it turned out. I went door-to-door, too.

It's a shame that there are fewer children in this age have little motivation or ingenuity. My friends kids, as well as my stepchildren seem more content to sit on the couch and do nothing, rather than chores or small jobs for money. :mad:

Not that I want to sound like :preach:

But when I ran low on allowance money, and I needed my comic book fix - my @ss was knocking on doors asking people if I could mow their lawns.

I doubt many parents would allow their kids to go door to door selling stuff like we did as kids.

Yeah...but I think it has more to do with making sure the kids are entertained every waking minute than with protection.

IMG_20101112_151613.jpg

Sheesh...and what was she wearing in the front!!!!???

lol Makes me want to shout out" NERDS!" as in Ogre's battle cry in Revenge of the Nerds

IMG_20101112_151613.jpg

Sheesh...and what was she wearing in the front!!!!???

lol Makes me want to shout out" NERDS!" as in Ogre's battle cry in Revenge of the Nerds

I can't believe no one has made a "I'd sure like to deflower her" joke.

By the way-I'd sure like to deflower her. Seriously, I would do things to her that would make her mother weep and her father punch whoever he happens to be standing next to.

Poison ivy, red Sonja, hairless camels... :takeit:

Concerning kids being lazy these days, I agree. Most of them sit on the couch in front of their t.v.s with the Xbox or ps3 plugged in. I'm only 25 and I already see a difference in kids these days compared to when I was a kid. I was on my bike everyday all day after school or during weekends. I see the occasional group of kids still outside (and its usually in the poorer communities) but if you drive through a rich neighborhood, you will not see one kid outside on a bike. They're all inside riding a virtual bike. Technology is definately making kids these days fatter and dumber. When I have kids, they definately won't be given any kind of box that will encourage sitting on their all day shooting people.

Poison ivy, red Sonja, hairless camels... :takeit:

Concerning kids being lazy these days, I agree. Most of them sit on the couch in front of their t.v.s with the Xbox or ps3 plugged in. I'm only 25 and I already see a difference in kids these days compared to when I was a kid. I was on my bike everyday all day after school or during weekends. I see the occasional group of kids still outside (and its usually in the poorer communities) but if you drive through a rich neighborhood, you will not see one kid outside on a bike. They're all inside riding a virtual bike. Technology is definately making kids these days fatter and dumber. When I have kids, they definately won't be given any kind of box that will encourage sitting on their all day shooting people.

There are times when I get sad at the realization that I can't have kids. But most of the time, I am thankful that I don't have to A) have children that act like the rest of the pinheads on planet Earth or B) have children that have to deal with the rest of the pinheads on planet Earth.

IMG_20101112_151613.jpg

The guy nearest to her, is the boyfriend. She has a user id here. I believe her last post was a pic of both of them giving us the finger.