• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NM/M Prices all over the map?

59 posts in this topic

Most of the books I want, I can't afford in NM anyways - so at least I'm not affected. However, on some modern books - I think there is a definite 9.8 obsession out there right now, and I think that sellers are cashing in on buyers who are mislead to think all NM raw books are going to come back 9.8s.

I don't think I will ever take someone's word that a book is a 9.8 and pay a premium for a raw. I'll pay a NM price for a NM book, but not interested in a premium just because some guy *thinks* it will be a 9.8.

:screwy:

Just because one person can't do something, doesn't mean it can't be done. :gossip:

I'm not saying that it can't be done, I'm just saying I'm not wanting to pay a premium for a complete stranger's opinion on Ebay that a book is a 9.8. If that makes me "screwy" so be it. I can live with that designation. Just as long as it's not :facepalm:

Agreed, but there are several people that sell on these boards that can do it.

There's a difference between a 9.4, 9.6, and 9.8. It's visible.

That I do believe, and I've seen it (the 9.8 Night Nurse sale thread). I wrote later on in this thread that I was originally talking about Ebay. I've had some great experience with people here buying books - I haven't had the opportunity to buy a high grade book yet from here and submit it.

The price guide lists Tales to Astonish 49 at 9.4 (Near Mint) $320.00 RAW & $640.00 CGC. On Ebay someone has it listed for $2,599.99 CGC. Link I come across this all the time.

You need a GPA subscription if you are going to seriously price this sort of book. The Overstreet guide is not relevant to the market prices on this sort of material.

GPA tracks actual sales. That's what matters.

I'm using. http://www.comicspriceguide.com/

I think the internet has changed the way things are graded. If a someone over pays it now raises the price for everyone instantly.

Which means that you're basically plucking prices out of thin air :doh:

When it comes to CGC'ed books, the only accurate way to gauge pricing is to look at GPA.

GPA seems to be very handy. However, I have such a hard time paying $11 a month for a subscription. I suppose at some point, I'll cave. But everyone seems to have the opinion that it's the coolest pricing method in town.

It's invaluable if you buy/sell CGC'ed books :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more.. It cuts through all the BS and gives ACTUAL SALES. Not listing prices which are ridiculous to say the least sometimes

Stating the obvious here, but if you’re on the lookout for high-grade CGC SA-BA-CA books on eBay that are 9.4 or higher, especially top-census books, you will find them listed as BIN, often well beyond any listed guide. Lot of overreachers are testing the outer limits of the market, and most do not sell. Sometimes I wonder if they’re really serious about selling, or if they are trying to drive the market up, or if they just don’t know the true value of what they’re trying to sell. It can be frustrating for buyers who would search for a book and expect to pay, say, $100 for it, and then see it listed for $500 (when other comparable books sell for $100). It will cycle though an eBay store for months, years, held hostage until some buyer agrees to fork over the dough. Occasionally it happens, but not often.

If you are like me and don't sell or buy enough graded books to buy a subscription to GPA then search ComicLink, Heritage and Ebay. You will get a more accurate price range then comicpriceguide. Just my 2c

+1. Look at more than one place for previous sales and what other "guides" have the prices listed at.

If you are like me and don't sell or buy enough graded books to buy a subscription to GPA then search ComicLink, Heritage and Ebay. You will get a more accurate price range then comicpriceguide. Just my 2c

If you buy one CGC book a month and gpa saves you $8.00, the service has paid for itself. I've come to realize it is more valuable than not having it (and I do research pricing from a number of locations.)

The price guide lists Tales to Astonish 49 at 9.4 (Near Mint) $320.00 RAW & $640.00 CGC. On Ebay someone has it listed for $2,599.99 CGC. Link I come across this all the time.

What guide?

My 2010 OS has TTA 49 at over $500 in 9.2.

Is it imagination or are some people & dealers listing their mint & near mint books at ridiculously high prices? In some cases the book value is way below the selling price. Its almost like anarchy when it comes to some of these bloated nm/m prices.

Why not? Some dealers NM/M grades are all over the map too. :grin:

Last GPA Sale (2010) in 9.4 was last year - $3038

West Penn sold in 2009 for $2500

Twin Cities (9.6) sold in 2011 for $3585

Ding

I had a feeling two grand wasn't out of this world for SA semi-key 9.4.

I think the internet has changed the way things are graded. If a someone over pays it now raises the price for everyone instantly.

When it comes to CGC'ed books, the only accurate way to gauge pricing is to look at GPA.

GPA and past auction results like Heritage's extensive auction history

GPA and past auction results like Heritage's extensive auction history

Aren't all Heritage's CGC'd books in GPA? Or might there be some from the beginning?

Dan