• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #33 on Heritage

108 posts in this topic

The best Cap cover from # 26 onward IMHO...I sold my # 33 CGC 5.0 ow a year ago for $1,700...so yah, this price is a little more than I expected for a 4.0

It's good but it ain't no 32 or 38. :baiting:

never liked those too much...26, 28, 33 my favs in that run...32 is a Shores cover and I'm baised to Schomburg.

#74 trumps all, thread closed. :sumo:
:sumo: 46

:whatev: Time for a poll? hm

Sure. 74 will probably finish out of the top five.

Only because people will focus on value, significance of the issue(s) instead of just judging the cover [sorry Rick but issue #46 is a perfect example of this :baiting: ] Its odd but its really the only decent Red Skull cover in the whole run. You'd think they would have done a better job of showcasing him especially given all the killer splash pages that proceeded this issue. Also, I'd take #33 or #46. :whistle:

Only because people will focus on value, significance of the issue(s) instead of just judging the cover [sorry Rick but issue #46 is a perfect example of this :baiting: ] Its odd but its really the only decent Red Skull cover in the whole run. You'd think they would have done a better job of showcasing him especially given all the killer splash pages that proceeded this issue. Also, I'd take #33 or #46. :whistle:

might be a nice red skull, but the cover is "boring" to me (shrug)

46 has not only value, but great schomburg cover, and a great (and important) theme... 74 is, imo, not even in the same ball park cover or content wise (thumbs u

3 and 16 are pretty darn good Red Skull covers. And other than 46 and 74 none of the other choices brought up so far are significantly more desirable than others, other than the cover. But let's start at the beginning. Obviously #1 is an iconic cover, but for my money #7 has the best cover of the S&K era. 13 is also iconic but none of the covers in the teens stand out to me. They are all very good but none are outstanding. 22 is a classic, I love it. With 26 the great Schomburg covers start. Each cover through 29 is wonderful. 32, while not Schomburg, is still one of my two or three favorites. I dislike 36, the Hitler cover, to the point that I actully broke up my run by selling it to Gator a few years back. 37 is my absolute favorite cover. All of the war covers through 47 are very good. Then we get to the post-war covers. Most are fairly derivative but there are a few that stand out. I love 57. 59 is also a cool change of pace. And something about the giant Fly on 60 always appealed to me. Maybe because it is so similar to the silver age Marvel covers, two decades early. 74 has a really cool rendition of the Red Skull, but the cover overall is a little tame. And I'd also drop in an honorable mention for Cap 76.

3 and 16 are pretty darn good Red Skull covers. And other than 46 and 74 none of the other choices brought up so far are significantly more desirable than others, other than the cover. But let's start at the beginning. Obviously #1 is an iconic cover, but for my money #7 has the best cover of the S&K era. 13 is also iconic but none of the covers in the teens stand out to me. They are all very good but none are outstanding. 22 is a classic, I love it. With 26 the great Schomburg covers start. Each cover through 29 is wonderful. 32, while not Schomburg, is still one of my two or three favorites. I dislike 36, the Hitler cover, to the point that I actully broke up my run by selling it to Gator a few years back. 37 is my absolute favorite cover. All of the war covers through 47 are very good. Then we get to the post-war covers. Most are fairly derivative but there are a few that stand out. I love 57. 59 is also a cool change of pace. And something about the giant Fly on 60 always appealed to me. Maybe because it is so similar to the silver age Marvel covers, two decades early. 74 has a really cool rendition of the Red Skull, but the cover overall is a little tame. And I'd also drop in an honorable mention for Cap 76.

hm My personal faves:

Jack Kirby's only GA Cap cover depicting the Red Skull:

img_CaptAmerica5_036.jpg

You're absolutely right about #7, I'd also add #8 (nazis and mummies), #9 (the mad artist cover) and #10 (Horror Hotel) as all are killer S&K covers. More visual reference...

img_CaptAm7_189-1.jpg

img_CaptAm8_188-1.jpg

img_CaptainAmerica9FC_170.jpg

img_CaptAmer10_084-1.jpg

The teen issue Caps (actually #11-20) are an acquired taste, some much more impressive than others. Avison's biggest contribution following on the heels of S&K seems to have been bringing Cap & Bucky more into the foreground, which works well on some issues, less so on others. Shore's earliest solo work on Cap lacks the maturity of his later work, but some covers are quite impressive.

By and large, Schomburg's war issue Caps are beautiful, but hit and miss. I like them all, but putting on my artist's smock for a minute, some of his Cap covers strike me as being too busy and a bit too slick or polished to create just the right visceral feel for Cap. Whereas virtually all Schomburg covers are well rendered, his Human Torch covers are more iconic by virtue of the unique way he depicted the HT's torso and flame trail combined with molten images of Torch and Toro burning through everything they touch (including the cover!). Other artist's tried to emulate it, none succeeded.

IMHO, this is one of Schomburg's better Cap covers:

img_CapAmerica49_145-1.jpg

Now Shores managed to get Cap right later on (love this Human Fly cover)...

img_CapAmerica60_148-1.jpg

and this later Avison is the most modern looking Cap you're likely to see...

img_CapAmerica71_147-1.jpg

:cloud9: This cover is da bomb though and I've heard tell of an ungraded copy that's flawless...

img_CapAmerica74_150-1.jpg

My apologies for doing the banana dance, but I'm lovin' this thread...

smiley-dance001.gifsmiley-dance001.gifsmiley-dance001.gifsmiley-dance001.gifsmiley-dance001.gif

22, 33 and 37 are definte classics but I can't get past terrible art work on #16, the Skull looks good but the anatomy looks awkward and goof ball Bucky kind of ruins it with a typical useless pose in the back ground [looks like he is hanging from his pants because they are nailed to the wall]. I'm partial to issue #70 as well, simple but cool cover. #3 is cool but a bit too busy.

Obviously #1 is an iconic cover

I've never been a fan of #1 :sorry:

22, 33 and 37 are definte classics but I can't get past terrible art work on #16, the Skull looks good but the anatomy looks awkward and goof ball Bucky kind of ruins it with a typical useless pose in the back ground [looks like he is hanging from his pants because they are nailed to the wall]. I'm partial to issue #70 as well, simple but cool cover. #3 is cool but a bit too busy.

Agreed, but if we're talking "Bad Buckys", issue #61 wins that contest. In an otherwise good cover, Bucky completely ruins it.

221342-1628-116383-1-captain-america-comi_super.jpg

My only issue with #3 is the To The War Zone arrow.

I'm not sure whether attaching a descriptive arrow was the artist's decision or came from the front office, but as I see it labeling is an unnecessary distraction from the art that presumes the audience isn't smart enough to figure out what is going on.