• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upon further review...Batman movie..

62 posts in this topic

Does anyone else feel this movie...well....kind of SUCKED!?!?!

Had a chance to re-watch it for the first time in about 10 years or so on the Sci Fi network the other day...

First thoughts:

Michael Keaton.....Bruce Wayne.....NOT A CHANCE...we're supposed to believe this guy has dedicated himself to a lifetime of physical training? The majority of his scenes were some of the worst acted ever...such as his first interaction with Alexander Knox and Vickie Vale...and no way could Batman move around in that 'tank' of a costume...

Alex Knox....hated him. He added absolutely nothing to the movie. Comically, or otherwise.

Commisioner Gordon..basically an overweight version of the TV show's Gordon. He should have been someone around the same age as BW.

Harvey Dent...Billy Dee Williams the token Black Guy. confused-smiley-013.gif

Vickie Vale...Kim Bassinger is one hot lady, but she just wasn't convincing.

Jack Nicholson as the Joker...what seemed like a major coup by Tim Burton to get Jack to sign on, turned the whole movie into Nicholson fun fest...Way over the top and very distracting from the film. Plus, a majority of the stuff that was meant to be funny just died.....I hated it all. The whole Smilex in the hair products, the Joker's 'first date' with Vickie Vale in the art museum, his killing of BW's parents (die TIM BURTON DIE!!!!), and then at the end he shoots the Bat Plane down with a gun?

I suppose when I was in high school, it was just so cool to see Batman on the big screen..I bought into the hype...now I want to go back in time and slap some sense into that kid I was....

For god's sake DC make them get it right the next time around!

When I saw the "Batman" movie at the theaters, I liked it a lot. I actually thought Jack N. made the movie IMO. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I bought the DVD for 5 bucks.

I'll watch it again and see if I still feel the same way.

Michael Keaton made a good Bruce, terrible Batman.

Val Kilmer made a terrible Bruce, but a pretty good Batman.

George Clooney was a good Bruce and a good Batman, but by then the writing/directing was so terrible it made no difference.

I saw it again too and found it rather uncomfortable to watch. The movie has aged terribly, particularly thanks to some end-of-'80s stylistic choices (did you notice how friggin' HIGH Keaton's hair was on his head?) and that nauseating Prince soundtrack. It also had some of the most nonsensical, awkward dialogue I've heard in many years. I wonder how I ever thought this was a comic book movie masterpiece. But we were younger then. smile.gif

Arnold

I always liked the second movie better in that it felt more like a comic book to me.

I haven't seen either of these since they first came out, so I could easily loathe them now.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I saw it again too and found it rather uncomfortable to watch. The movie has aged terribly, particularly thanks to some end-of-'80s stylistic choices (did you notice how friggin' HIGH Keaton's hair was on his head?) and that nauseating Prince soundtrack. It also had some of the most nonsensical, awkward dialogue I've heard in many years. I wonder how I ever thought this was a comic book movie masterpiece. But we were younger then. smile.gif

Arnold

I'm with Arnold. I watched it again earlier this year and found myself hitting the fast forward button a lot.

Tim Burton did a masterful job with the gothic look of Gotham City. Tremendous soundtrack designed by the same person that did the Simpson's cartoon music. Retold the origin of the Batman & Joker for the big screen. 1 of my comic addict buddies paid full admission to see it 8 times over 1 month. Everyone of us still has cards/buttons or t-shirts /toys from that Batman 1 film. popcorn.gif

Unbelievable!!

Why doesn't his surprise me on these threads? I've had people dog out The Shining and Spartacus (both were 5-star classics in my book)

Oh well, I guess I stand alone! I thought that this was a nice stepping stone for Comic Book Movie in general. I admit it got a little goofy at times - but it is a COMIC BOOK MOVIE!!

Aren't they suppose to do that?

(remember this was a huge gamble too!!, comicbook movies were gurgling in the toilet

after Stuper-Man3)

Being a designer as my job profession,

I tell you, this movies direction was ridiculously good - on many levels!!

Oh well, an opinion is like an azz... everybodys got one.

Here is how I ranked the top comic book movies so far:

Super Man the movie = 8.5/10

Super Man 2 = 8.5/10

Bat Man the movie = 9.5/10

Spider Man the movie = 8/10

X Men = 7.5/10

X2 = 9/10

HellBoy = 7.5/10

Punisher (2004)= 6/10

Dare Devil 5/10

Hulk = 5.5/10

Spawn = 3/10

Punisher (1990)= 2/10

SO TELL ME WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE COMIC MOVIES?

Or are any of the good enough? confused-smiley-013.gif

I always thought it had alot of what made batman pretty cool. It was campy and cool at the same time and embarrassing and funny too. I cringe at some of the lines when i watch it now-a-days but it's still a good movie and here is why: Tim Burton. Once he left the franchise, the other directors were still mimicing his set design and lighting. He created a good mood for Gotham.

It comes down to whether you can appreciate a movie for what it is or thinking it has to be true to the comic. Batman, IMO, was an actual GOOD movie regardless of whether is was based around some dude who wears a cape and gets published by DC or not.

Unbelievable!!

Why doesn't his surprise me on these threads? I've had people dog out The Shining and Spartacus (both were 5-star classics in my book)

Oh well, I guess I stand alone! I thought that this was a nice stepping stone for Comic Book Movie in general. I admit it got a little goofy at times - but it is a COMIC BOOK MOVIE!!

(remember this was a huge gamble too!!, comicbook movies were gurgling in the toilet

after Stuper-Man3)

Super Man 2 = 8.5/10

X Men = 7.5/10

X2 = 9/10

HellBoy = 7.5/10

Punisher (2004)= 6/10

Dare Devil 5/10

Hulk = 5.5/10

Spawn = 3/10

Punisher (1990)= 2/10

Batman was a better movie then Spider-Man??!??!?!?!

Right now, Spidey tops my list, folllowed a close second by Superman.....

Even though the effects are grossly outdated Supes I and II are much better movies then Batman 1......and I'm a bigger fan of Bats than I am of the Boy Scout!

The reasons the two are better?

No Prince soundtrack

No rubber costumes

No Jack Nicholson (although Jack is one of my favorite actors..and for the record I did like the Shining. Liked the book better though). Supes had Gene Hackman who played a great Luthor...and one of the most menacing villians ever in Gen. Zod.

No goofy criminal underlings (like Bob for instance, or the Puerto Rican/Black Samurai Swordsman)

No Clown Balloons...

I could go on and on.....

Unbelievable!!

after Stuper-Man3)

Super Man 2 = 8.5/10

X Men = 7.5/10

X2 = 9/10

HellBoy = 7.5/10

Punisher (2004)= 6/10

Dare Devil 5/10

Hulk = 5.5/10

Spawn = 3/10

Punisher (1990)= 2/10

Batman was a better movie then Spider-Man??!??!?!?!

Right now, Spidey tops my list, folllowed a close second by Superman.....

Even though the effects are grossly outdated Supes I and II are much better movies then Batman 1......and I'm a bigger fan of Bats than I am of the Boy Scout!

The reasons the two are better?

No Prince soundtrack

No rubber costumes

No Jack Nicholson (although Jack is one of my favorite actors..and for the record I did like the Shining. Liked the book better though). Supes had Gene Hackman who played a great Luthor...and one of the most menacing villians ever in Gen. Zod.

No goofy criminal underlings (like Bob for instance, or the Puerto Rican/Black Samurai Swordsman)

No Clown Balloons...

I could go on and on.....

Go figure and I'm a HUGE and I mean HUGE Spider-Man Fan!

The Goblin's mask is what I didn't particularly care for, you couldn't identify witht the character

witht the zoolu type mask he was wearin'. The Goblin is one of my all time favorite villians to do this to him was just tragic IMHO. Also the join me scene on the roof and the public throwing garbage at him seemed to corny for such a serious terriorist threat as he.

But man I could go on for days about the possitive points of BatMan and you could do so with Spider-Man. The reason now is obvious... We are Fan Boys and the film didn't measure up to our standards, I'm a big enough man to admit that, but I at least gave my boy a 8/10 in ranking

and that isn't too bad.

So. are you going to answer my question?

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE COMIC MOVIES? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I liked both the Batman and Spider-man movies personally. I really thought it would be hard to challenge the rubberized Batman outfit for 'worst costume' to grace the big screen.

Then came the Green Goblin's.... metallic helmet?

If Doc Ock were the villian in Spidey 1 (costume and cgi look terrific on trailers so far), I don't believe the effort on the Goblin's costume would have been considered acceptable for future movies. However, the fanboy in me still enjoyed both movies, and saw them multiple times.

Superman the movie = 6/10

Superman 2 = 8/10

Superman 3 = 7/10

Superman 4 = 5/10

Batman = 7/10

Batman Returns = 8/10

Batman Forever = 7/10

Batman and Robin = 7/10

Spider-man the movie = 8/10

X-Men = 8/10

X2 = 8/10

HellBoy = didn't see

Punisher (2004)= 7/10

Daredevil 7/10

Hulk = 6/10

Spawn = 6/10

Punisher (1990)= 5/10

TMNT = 4/10

Captain America = 4/10

I liked both the Batman and Spider-man movies personally. I really thought it would be hard to challenge the rubberized Batman outfit for 'worst costume' to grace the big screen.

Then came the Green Goblin's.... metallic helmet?

If Doc Ock were the villian in Spidey 1 (costume and cgi look terrific on trailers so far), I don't believe the effort on the Goblin's costume would have been considered acceptable for future movies. However, the fanboy in me still enjoyed both movies, and saw them multiple times.

i'm with you here - i loved both Batman and Spider-man movies. unlike a lot of the opinions so far, batman "grew" on me over time. i never liked the choice of michael keaton, but thought he carried it off and the costume helped. i've never warmed up to Nicholson's performance (just too over-the-top). i found it nicely dark and foreboding. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My top ten:

Spider-Man: 9.5/10

Superman:9/10

X-Men 2: 9/10

Superman II: 8.5/10

X-Men: 8.0

Batman Returns: 7.5

Hulk: 6/10

Batman Forever: 5/10

Batman: 4/10

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: 4/10

Haven't seen the Punisher, all of DD, Hellboy, etc...so this isn't all-inclusive..also this list subject to change upon review of Spidey 2... thumbsup2.gif

If I were CGC grading them...

Superman the movie = 9.4

Superman 2 = 9.2

Superman 3 = 7.5

Superman 4 = 7.0

Batman = 6.0

Batman Returns = 7.0

Batman Forever = 7.5

Spider-man the movie = 9.6

X-Men = 9.2

X2 = 9.6

Daredevil = 5.5

Hulk = 8.5

Spawn = 3.5

Punisher (1990) = 8.0

TMNT = 8.0

I'd have to say that so far, none of them have realized the inherent potential of the comic medium. Some have been pretty faithful (Superman 1 and 2, Batman 1, Spider-Man) but with the possible exception of the Superman movies (which had just enough irreverence and comic spirit), your intelligence always gets insulted at some point, and you end up disappointed. Where's the class?

Although the Terminator films, the Matrix, or Total Recall were not comic based, I'd say they captured the essence of (good) comics better than the direct adaptations.

I like this CGC grade thing:

Spider-Man - 9.9

X-Men 2 - 9.6

X-Men - 9.2

Daredevil - 4.0

Hulk - 7.5

Superman - 9.0

Superman 2 - 7.5

Superman 3 - 2.0

Superman 4 - 1.0

Batman - 7.0

Batman Returns - 6.0