• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sid's Luncheonette?

101 posts in this topic

Love hearing the background to OO collections. Thanks Harry. Did you buy AF15 and FF1 from Sid's?

I actually bought the AF 15 THE SAME DAY as My JIM 83!!! around the first week of June 1962.

FF #1 came out 9 months earlier.

here are the 3 of them all from SID's;

FFs.jpg

JIM89004.jpg

amazingfantasy003.jpg

Be still my heart. Awesome! (worship)

Love hearing the background to OO collections. Thanks Harry. Did you buy AF15 and FF1 from Sid's?

I actually bought the AF 15 THE SAME DAY as My JIM 83!!! around the first week of June 1962.

FFs.jpg

JIM89004.jpg

amazingfantasy003.jpg

WOW!! Those are gorgeous :cloud9:

FFs.jpg

JIM89004.jpg

amazingfantasy003.jpg

Sweet books! Thanks for sharing, Harry! :headbang:

Harry:

Love your books and the backstory that surrounds them.

The below copy was a gift to me from RedHook on a special occasion.

Knowing that it has passed from one true collector to the next, it is a cherished part of my collection.

Many thanks for sharing your beloved legacy with our hobby. (thumbs u

MIS-79.jpg

Burntboy:

Ahhhhh, so Sid's Luncheonette was a classic old-fashioned candy store like the kind that were once common in and around New York City! I take it they featured lunch counters, newspaper and magazine stands, cigarettes/cigars behind the cash register, ice cream coolers, candy counters and other small toys and things in which kids might have an interest. There were not necessarily any direct equivalents in other areas of the country.

So did you ever order anything other than fountain sodas at the lunch counter? Do you remember what the milkshakes, hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries were like?

???

Pity about the Batwoman origin issue and Showcase 4 though.

:(

A Sid's comic from early '62 that's a top census copy:

MIS74cgc.jpg

Oh wow! I'm still looking for a really nice copy of Mystery in Space 74.

Knowing that it has passed from one true collector to the next, it is a cherished part of my collection.

MIS-79.jpg

Great gift!

:applause:

And a Sid's from late '63, undergraded:

MIS87Sids.jpg

I'll take your word for it Bob but what's the big scratch across the FC...on the slab?

That's a production crease - I would agree with Bob that given what it is, the book seems undergraded.

But, I'm also sorta on the side of production creases and bad miswraps getting some reduction...

Harry:

Love your books and the backstory that surrounds them.

Many thanks for sharing your beloved legacy with our hobby. (thumbs u

MIS-79.jpg

Yikes that book looks great... (worship)

Never subbed it due to the small corner crease LRC but who cares when it's that stunning?? Glad you enjoy it. Brad and I both had a great affinity for the MIS books... (thumbs u

Burntboy:

Ahhhhh, so Sid's Luncheonette was a classic old-fashioned candy store like the kind that were once common in and around New York City! I take it they featured lunch counters, newspaper and magazine stands, cigarettes/cigars behind the cash register, ice cream coolers, candy counters and other small toys and things in which kids might have an interest. There were not necessarily any direct equivalents in other areas of the country.

So did you ever order anything other than fountain sodas at the lunch counter? Do you remember what the milkshakes, hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries were like?

???

Pity about the Batwoman origin issue and Showcase 4 though.

:(

I cannot honestly remember ever getting anything at the counter other than fountain sodas or Floats...(but MANY of each). :grin

But your description sounds like you were there!! :o

I can remember buying my first Plastic Model (A McConnell Voodoo Jet Fighter by Revell) and many subsequent planes, ships, Artillary pieces, etc. I think it's also where I bought all of the Aurora Monster Models.

Bought all of my Famous Monsters there as well as all of the Signet James Bond paperbacks and all the ACE Edgar Rice Burroughs PB's as well.

GREAT Memories... :cloud9: