• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 listed on C-link

331 posts in this topic

Becoming as common as dirt!

Allow me to suggest two scenarios spinging from Silver Sufers observation:

POS (i): People are moving cash from Supes to Bats (or other mega grails like Cap1) as a consequence of Supes gradually sinkin in today as a second tier character.

POS (ii): People are expecting the downward spiral pricetrend observed in Bronze and Silver to spread to GA within a reasonable timeframe. And accordingly they are headed for the exit?

Is this insane theory or what do you say .... ?

Look, in order to write a check for 150K on a RESTORED book, you do not resell it after you buy it to pay your electric bill, he has his eyes or her eyes on a better copy, that is a no brainer. At least 3 new action 1's are coming on the market including billys by the end of summer, all three are unrestored.

Another POS: dude needs some coin to burn cash on the big Tec.

speculators are in the comic book market. :ohnoez:

Becoming as common as dirt!

Allow me to suggest two scenarios spinging from Silver Sufers observation:

POS (i): People are moving cash from Supes to Bats (or other mega grails like Cap1) as a consequence of Supes gradually sinkin in today as a second tier character.

POS (ii): People are expecting the downward spiral pricetrend observed in Bronze and Silver to spread to GA within a reasonable timeframe. And accordingly they are headed for the exit?

Is this insane theory or what do you say .... ?

The analogy isn't entirely complete without reference to their relative scarcity. Bronze books are extremely numerous by comparison, even in newsstand condition, so the difference is more likely to come down to the label, and the supply inevitably erodes that distinction as well.

If gator says its a money issue, its a money issue plain and simple,if the book was unrestorted the whole world would be after it.

instead he has to put it on comic link and probably sell it for a loss, long term if he could hold would more than get his money out, but record price for unrestored. What is to be learned is that buying restored books are only for collecttors who intend to hold them for a long period of time and second you have to consider that when you first buy the unrestored book you are already in the hole.

SS people should be moving from non-major GA and getting into supers, bats, and caps....unrestored in top condition if possible.

We are talking about a LOSS here, and this is the best possible restored book in existence.

If gator says its a money issue, its a money issue plain and simple,if the book was unrestorted the whole world would be after it.

instead he has to put it on comic link and probably sell it for a loss, long term if he could hold would more than get his money out, but record price for unrestored. What is to be learned is that buying restored books are only for collecttors who intend to hold them for a long period of time and second you have to consider that when you first buy the unrestored book you are already in the hole.

SS people should be moving from non-major GA and getting into supers, bats, and caps....unrestored in top condition if possible.

We are talking about a LOSS here, and this is the best possible restored book in existence.

Could be that you are exaggerating the PLOD issue in this flip? Dude is obviously pressured to sell. This has nothing to do with the book in question is carrying a particular label. Had he put his 150K in a blue label Action #1, you say he'd have come out today above water?

There is at least one other better (slightly) restored Action 1 (with white pages).

I think Mitch meant action1 in general is the best possible book if restored. Not that this exact copy is the best example of a restored action 1 (Thumbs u

Pgx is for squids according to jack death of trancers they could grade a book 10.0 and you would be luckily it would come back a 8. It is one of the two best books in existence and the owner is regretting it and taking a hit. If this was unrestored people would be banging Down. Your door giving you a cash advance.

This just another story of somebody buying something they cannot afford. This is not a bad comic book long term. But we are talking 5 years or more hold. I can

See it at 250 k.

I would agree that one needs to expect to hold onto restored books, but i would say the same for the highest graded books and I think the highest graded books have a risk for various reasons as the lack of scarcity becomes a factor, as well as the fact that their value is due very very largely to how much they are being pumped by people who similar high grade or top census copies. The largest reason, by a huge margin, that restored books are considered "only for collectors" is the very determined efforts of people who are not saying that because they perceived it and they're reporting what they perceived but because they want it to be so and have repeated it often and done as much as they can to make it so. So many people, like myself, fear restored books not because we think a book with a dot color touch is worth 5% of an otherwise identical book (or even one with additional defacement), but because we know there will be people out there actively and determinedly seeking to undermine its value. Conversely, people have perceived that top of census books are pumped and pumped with great determination, so they hope that pumping will continue and pump their books every higher. But I don't trust that, either, and I know that a lot of people have similar concern, as I do. Add into that an awareness that people are similarly trying to slam even mid-grade copies of rare books, and that people are wanting to tar pressed books with the same brush as the "restored" books, and my greatest concerns about the hobby are not the economy or the possibility of new finds (or the lack thereof) but about which people will be making the biggest efforts to slam or pump this book or that. And that makes the whole thing not only risky, but a lot less fun

I would agree that one needs to expect to hold onto restored books, but i would say the same for the highest graded books and I think the highest graded books have a risk for various reasons as the lack of scarcity becomes a factor, as well as the fact that their value is due very very largely to how much they are being pumped by people who similar high grade or top census copies. The largest reason, by a huge margin, that restored books are considered "only for collectors" is the very determined efforts of people who are not saying that because they perceived it and they're reporting what they perceived but because they want it to be so and have repeated it often and done as much as they can to make it so. So many people, like myself, fear restored books not because we think a book with a dot color touch is worth 5% of an otherwise identical book (or even one with additional defacement), but because we know there will be people out there actively and determinedly seeking to undermine its value. Conversely, people have perceived that top of census books are pumped and pumped with great determination, so they hope that pumping will continue and pump their books every higher. But I don't trust that, either, and I know that a lot of people have similar concern, as I do. Add into that an awareness that people are similarly trying to slam even mid-grade copies of rare books, and that people are wanting to tar pressed books with the same brush as the "restored" books, and my greatest concerns about the hobby are not the economy or the possibility of new finds (or the lack thereof) but about which people will be making the biggest efforts to slam or pump this book or that. And that makes the whole thing not only risky, but a lot less fun

well said!

Mitch, sure I'm going to buy a $2M top census copy. :facepalm: Your logic [can I even call it that?] applies to 1% of the collecting base. You think the buyers of big keys haven't lost money by over paying?

Sa you know my advice from day one unrestored top grade copies with no rusty staples and tape. If you own top grade caps, bats and supped you have not lost but gained value overtime Ss and the facts speak for themselves.

For 150 k you could got the mh rr 1 and kept 76 k for caps and early actions. A very bad choice unless you have the holding power. The buyer should of asked board members what would have been a safe price....my opinion is 70k as you can find more buyers at 70 than 150.

Sa you know my advice from day one unrestored top grade copies with no rusty staples and tape. If you own top grade caps, bats and supped you have not lost but gained value overtime Ss and the facts speak for themselves.

For 150 k you could got the mh rr 1 and kept 76 k for caps and early actions. A very bad choice unless you have the holding power. The buyer should of asked board members what would have been a safe price....my opinion is 70k as you can find more buyers at 70 than 150.

People would also have done quite well being beat up copies of actions, tecs and captain america. And the facts also show that copies with minor resto did fine and people didn't mind buying them at higher percentages of unrestored versus today, but values dropped due to an extremely concerted and coordinated effort to bring the values down and pump the other values.

Pressed books are doing great because there is concerted pumping for the highest number regardless of whether the book had a lower number previously; you can make lots of money getting a book a better label when you sell it than it had when you bought it. And those big increases are occuring despite the fact that a small percentage hates it, just as a small percentage hated books with a tiny tear seal back when most people were saying not a big deal.

But, all it would take is to put that pressed Action 5 9.4 in a specially colored label with a written statement on it that some collectors and will insist on paying "signficantly less" and you will see a steep decline.

Is it even possible for you to talk about how some books are great without also saying that other books are toilet paper?

(especially since it seems so clear that "some books" = what you're selling while "other books" = what you're not selling)

my thought process on a moderately restored action 1 is that if folks looked at it logically, an 8.0 mod was at worse (in all likelihood) a 3.0, maybe as high as a 4.0 before work was done on it...

so, if 8.0 unrestored are selling for 1million to 1,200,000....then I think it is very realistic to find buyers for 8.0 mods at 150K (or whatever number)...

however, not all agree, and that is the beauty of collecting and/or investing...to each their own (thumbs u