• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 listed on C-link

331 posts in this topic

Very well said. I agree that in the future things could change over time but right now it seems like action 1 at 8.0 sold for 1.2 plus million at the end of the year and at 150 it's about 8 times less valueable which means it will likely never catch up in value. Artwork is different than comics as rare coins would be a better example.

If you cleaned your coins or put polish on them it destroyed the value, for example putting silver cleaner on a coin. That still holds true today. There is long road for restored books ever to play a significant role in ga collecting.

mitch, restored books already play a major role in ga collecting, especially in the super key category (much less so in the non key, of course, due to availability and relative price point)

...more restored copies of action 1, superman 1,. batman1, tec 27, etc trade hands on a far more frequent basis than their unrestored counterparts!

for every unrestored action 1 that has sold at a record price, there has been an equal or slightly greater number of restored action 1 to sell, at an equal to or greater "percentage" increase... and in comparable cases, the restored copy has WAY outperformed the unrestored counterpart (only comparing sales from past 5 years)...

here is one example

8.0 unrestored action 1 sells for 1million 2 years ago, and another copy of an 8.0 sells for 1.2 million...20% increase in 2 years..

8.0 mod sells for 67K 4 years ago, and sells for 150K last year...a 150% return in 4 years, or about 42.5% a year (versus the 10% per annum on the unrestored counterpart)...and there are MANY more examples of this type of return I can show

for every unrestored superman 1 that has sold, there have been 5 copies of restored superman 1's to sell (again, all at about the same or great percentage increase in previous sale price)

restored batman 1's trade hands at a 5/1 pace over unrestored batman 1's

tec 27 is like action 1, about 1 to 1 sales ratio...

and it goes on and on with other semi major keys (marvel 1, cap 1, sens 1, gl 1, etc)

so not only are restored "mega keys" already playing a major role, they are playing a dominant role across all major key titles...

now, the greatest $ increase is consistent with unrestored counterparts, but the potential for the greatest % increase lies, imo (and empircally as of now) with restored keys for a myriad of reasons (supply,lower price point, accessibility to greater potential demand due to price point and supply, etc, etc)

Well said. Mitch may have liked comics initially because of their culture but collected as if they were coins, and it's clear he will ignore any evidence that restored books (or mid-grade books) of iconic characters are more sought after or more valuable than a less iconic but pristine comic he owns. He will accept that restored books may be valuable someday but doesn't want that day to come until he has sold his books. I think he views any interest in restored or mid grade or low grade books as a threat because any money spent on them is money which could be spent on his.

Comics are not coins, just because they are both slabbed. Coins are made to be extremely common items and used and reused almost indefinitely, so it's logical that they would be differentiated by rarity and condition more than anything else, even more than nostaligia, and certainly more than cultural impact, which in most cases with coins is barely a factor at all..

Comics, conversely, are entertainment memorabilia and have much more in common with movie and popular culture memorabilia and with first edition books, all of which are collected primarily because people relate to the stories and art. In all of those fields, obsession with condition, conservation and restoration is minimal compared to coins. And when it's a factor it is mostly with common items more recently manufactured.

Mitch has been a character since he got here, and there is the mystery over what he still owns and his motives in that regard. But I for one dont think he's huckstering his books by denigrating restored and other crapppy books others love to collect.

I think he just doesnt see the value in them at all, and, couple with a bombastic egotistical desire to spout off given his long long history in this hobby (which he feels gives him the right to sneer), leads him to tourettes like outbursts because he cant help himself! its all so clear to him --- he cant pull any punches. He want to HELP! Probably thinks its a tough love thing. Mannup!

I dont disagree with his comics values system as I have my own similar ideas about what will retain values going forward and the better and poorer investment choices I can make at this time. But I like to think I and most of us here have a far more evolved appreciation of what OTHERS value in their collections... and see no profit in denigrating them, or in commenting in such a way that show disrespect towards them or their comics.

Hmmm. Conservation like cleaning, removing tape and reviving brittle pages.

Exactly, and it makes me wonder.

If given the choice, which book would people here want? Or better yet, pay more for.

The unrestored brittle copy, or the one after conservation?

I'm sure MM prefers the prior. He has some hiney wiping to do.

Gator as always thanks for bringing this to the middle. But I just cannot see 2 million for a restored action ever coming to pass. I understand on action I this is a special book but on batman 47 that where I have the problem as the affordabilty is much less when it comes to price difference. As shakespeare would put it to buy restored or not to buy that is the question. But at $150,000.00 you are really taking a chance unless you have very solid holding power

You should post more. (thumbs u

Mitch has been a character since he got here, and there is the mystery over what he still owns and his motives in that regard. But I for one dont think he's huckstering his books by denigrating restored and other crapppy books others love to collect.

I think he just doesnt see the value in them at all, and, couple with a bombastic egotistical desire to spout off given his long long history in this hobby (which he feels gives him the right to sneer), leads him to tourettes like outbursts because he cant help himself! its all so clear to him --- he cant pull any punches. He want to HELP! Probably thinks its a tough love thing. Mannup!

I dont disagree with his comics values system as I have my own similar ideas about what will retain values going forward and the better and poorer investment choices I can make at this time. But I like to think I and most of us here have a far more evolved appreciation of what OTHERS value in their collections... and see no profit in denigrating them, or in commenting in such a way that show disrespect towards them or their comics.

It takes the small pee-brain mentality to call me a buffoon. I take personal offense to that comment, and just because I can wipe my ASSSS with your comic book collection, I intend to respond to your comment.

You do not have to spend $2M to buy a blue-label comic book. Action comics #1 is not toilet paper for the record, it's a book that if you put 75K, and hold onto it until 2020, you have a good chance of it growing to 250K.

Let's get one thing straight. I'm not going to kiss anybody's on this forum, or be afraid to tell you my opinion on restored or unrestored comic books. I will not be bullied, insulted, and be called a "buffoon" by anybody. This is not about me, it is about my opinion. Which hits the nerve of truth, which makes people attack the messenger. The message is clear. Investing 150k in a restored book, is not only dangerous, it's just plain stupid.

Now me being non-US and everything, I dont know what a "Bufoon" is? But judging from Mehdy talking-schmack, its not something very nice (slang for "spoon" or something). But Mehdys posting is turning into a virtually BS-outlet. He askin for it.

Gator as always thanks for bringing this to the middle. But I just cannot see 2 million for a restored action ever coming to pass. I understand on action I this is a special book but on batman 47 that where I have the problem as the affordabilty is much less when it comes to price difference. As shakespeare would put it to buy restored or not to buy that is the question. But at $150,000.00 you are really taking a chance unless you have very solid holding power
I would likely concur. I don't really see any restored comic hitting 2 million in the forseeable future. I do see a High grade slight or mod 100k rest tec 27 or 150k rest action 1 increasing in value at a pace that will be both positive and potentially consistent with like valued counterparts.

I don't think the people that spend $ on restored action 1 is delusional in thinking the book(s) will be $2 million in 10 or 20 years. At the same time I don't think the person that spent $2 miiion on the 9.0 blue label is hoping to cash out 20 times his investments in the next 10 to 20 years either.

Maybe you do Mitch, and if that is the case, you should be buying every single blue action 1 but none of us can see that rosy of a future for any books...not me for sure.

That being said, ther is zero guarantee that the $2 mill copy can sell for more right now.

Solid holding power is needed for big books...period...blue or not in my opinion.

If the 8.5 copy for $1.5M came up for sale today I could see the owner getting grinded and losing money if he was in a position where he had to sell it immediately. It's not the first time we have seen this happen, Parrino got creamed with numerous books a few years back. How about Keller? Do these people deserve to be called stupid, gutless?

Unrestored, restored it doesn't really matter and if I kept saying "in 2025 your books will be worth more", over and over again will people view me as an orcale or will they just shake their heads and do this :facepalm:

People who bought some restored books in the past few years have could have resold them for much more, as they've gone up. And people who bought some of your beloved highest census copies have resold them for much less. You've seen that but you keep insisting on it not being true because you don't want it to be true and you hope that by repeating it you will make it true

See if you can follow this from aman's post:

<<<>>>

Very well said. I agree that in the future things could change over time but right now it seems like action 1 at 8.0 sold for 1.2 plus million at the end of the year and at 150 it's about 8 times less valueable which means it will likely never catch up in value. Artwork is different than comics as rare coins would be a better example.

If you cleaned your coins or put polish on them it destroyed the value, for example putting silver cleaner on a coin. That still holds true today. There is long road for restored books ever to play a significant role in ga collecting.

mitch, restored books already play a major role in ga collecting, especially in the super key category (much less so in the non key, of course, due to availability and relative price point)

...more restored copies of action 1, superman 1,. batman1, tec 27, etc trade hands on a far more frequent basis than their unrestored counterparts!

for every unrestored action 1 that has sold at a record price, there has been an equal or slightly greater number of restored action 1 to sell, at an equal to or greater "percentage" increase... and in comparable cases, the restored copy has WAY outperformed the unrestored counterpart (only comparing sales from past 5 years)...

here is one example

8.0 unrestored action 1 sells for 1million 2 years ago, and another copy of an 8.0 sells for 1.2 million...20% increase in 2 years..

8.0 mod sells for 67K 4 years ago, and sells for 150K last year...a 150% return in 4 years, or about 37.5% a year (versus the 10% per annum on the unrestored counterpart)...and there are MANY more examples of this type of return I can show

and if we want to go back 10+ years and say that the 8.0 KC copy or the 8.5 kramer copy went for 10x their previous price , the same restored copies have increased 20x (or double unrestored counterparts)

for every unrestored superman 1 that has sold, there have been 5 copies of restored superman 1's to sell (again, all at about the same or greater percentage increase in previous sale price)

restored batman 1's trade hands at a 5/1 pace over unrestored batman 1's

tec 27 is like action 1, about 1 to 1 sales ratio...

and it goes on and on with other semi major keys (marvel 1, cap 1, sens 1, gl 1, etc)

so not only are restored "mega keys" already playing a major role, they are playing a dominant role across all major key titles...

now, the greatest $ increase is consistent with unrestored counterparts, but the potential for the greatest % increase lies, imo (and empircally as of now) with restored keys for a myriad of reasons (supply,lower price point, accessibility to greater potential demand due to price point and supply, etc, etc)

Ahhh ... knowledge, sweet knowledge :applause:

It takes the small pee-brain mentality to call me a buffoon. I take personal offense to that comment, and just because I can wipe my ASSSS with your comic book collection, I intend to respond to your comment.

Just called CGC and they will still give me a blue label for stains so I am relieved. (thumbs u

Thanks Bob well said, you have more patience than I do. In short Mitch your posting has less and less substance, same old same old plus its annoying as hell. If I need advice I would not hesitate to ask someone I respect (like Gator). If you think anyone is going to listen to your drivel you are delussional. (thumbs u

I appreciate MMeddhy passion for the hobby, but I think his comments lack any type of OBJECTIVITY !!!! (shrug)

Just called CGC and they will still give me a blue label for stains so I am relieved. (thumbs u

Then we'll be set up with: CGC brown label ... :sick:

the brown holder (blue label with stains): reserved for restored Plods which are toiletpaper.

Let's get one thing straight. I'm not going to kiss anybody's on this forum, or be afraid to tell you my opinion on restored or unrestored comic books. I will not be bullied, insulted, and be called a "buffoon" by anybody.

Buffoon.

This is not about me, it is about my opinion.

:roflmao: Epic.