• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 listed on C-link

331 posts in this topic

The book has not sold, its not that good of price gator.

There have been non-auction sales of action 1 1.8 UNRESTORED for as little as 125K. If you put everything into getting an action 1....why in the world would you go purple and risk everything, when and if you look hard enough you can a find UNRESTORED copy cheaper.

This proves a few things, the buyer could not afford to the buy the comic book in the first place if an emergency was to occur, second he had no patience and could not wait for a cheaper Unrestored copy. he was fooled by the label on the book and convinced himself it was blue instead of purple or maybe he listened to a few board members who gave him very very bad advice about the state of the art of investing over $150,000.00 yes I mean over, because when he takes a loss this book of at least 15K he will be into it at $165,000.00. I just wish he had read my warnings about restored books and not listened to a couple of boardies who have sunk a fortune into restored comic books because they are TOO cheap to buy the real thing. Shame on you if he took your advice.

Dont get me wrong here, at 75K max you are pretty safe in case you have to sell, but I could dealers offering like 50K for a quick sale but a restored action 1 is like a "wannna BEE" real action #1. Part real and part unreal.

Who in there right mind would spend $150,000.00 on a incomplete copy of action 1 with color and who knows what else is added to the book. Purple=incomplete in my book.

It is buyer REMORSE more than an emergancy.

Everyboard member should take a warning here....the best book can buy is action 1 and for the restored comic book also is action 1.....The market is changing and if you dont move with it it wlll leave you behind.

Comicdonna, have the buyer read my JOCBC last article as it might aid him in future purchases.

There have been non-auction sales of action 1 1.8 UNRESTORED for as little as 125K. If you put everything into getting an action 1....why in the world would you go purple and risk everything, when and if you look hard enough you can a find UNRESTORED copy cheaper.

This proves a few things, the buyer could not afford to the buy the comic book in the first place if an emergency was to occur, second he had no patience and could not wait for a cheaper Unrestored copy. he was fooled by the label on the book and convinced himself it was blue instead of purple or maybe he listened to a few board members who gave him very very bad advice about the state of the art of investing over $150,000.00 yes I mean over, because when he takes a loss this book of at least 15K he will be into it at $165,000.00. I just wish he had read my warnings about restored books and not listened to a couple of boardies who have sunk a fortune into restored comic books because they are TOO cheap to buy the real thing. Shame on you if he took your advice.

Dont get me wrong here, at 75K max you are pretty safe in case you have to sell, but I could dealers offering like 50K for a quick sale but a restored action 1 is like a "wannna BEE" real action #1. Part real and part unreal.

Who in there right mind would spend $150,000.00 on a incomplete copy of action 1 with color and who knows what else is added to the book. Purple=incomplete in my book.

Everyboard member should take a warning here....the best book can buy is action 1 and for the restored comic book also is action 1.....The market is changing and if you dont move with it it wlll leave you behind.

Comicdonna, have the buyer read my JOCBC last article as it might aid him in future purchases.

I will also tell him to check with you before buying any more books. To be honest, I am not sure how any of us got by all these years without you. :eyeroll:

Comicdonna, if the guy is going to lay out 150K he would be better advised to go to GATOR than me. Gator has the market down today, my approach comes more from a historical background, in which this market has gone in cycles since the very early 1970's. So long term, I can see we are now and going into upswing cycle but only on certain books.

As far as what to buy and what to pay, Gator would know more. We disagree on this book, but for a long term hold it not a bad investment which should pay off down the road if you can just hang on to the dammmmm thing.

I am willing to pay a finder fees :insane: if this is achievable.

Now you're calling the seller a liar.

And the fact that it hasn't sold immediately is sold by you as proof that he should've bought not just an unrestored action 1 but any HG unrestored book at any price whatsoever (especially if it was one of yours).

The fact that any restored book goes unsold for any length of time means that the buyer made a mistake.

But the fact that any unrestored book goes unsold for any length of time (at any price) never means anything.

If someone had actually bought the Marvel Mystery 12 you considered such a bargain at 100K and now trying unsuccessfuly to resell it (at a quarter of the price) that would also be no indication that your advice was ever wrong, or ever about your personal benefit.

"Shame on" gator for saying the book is worth 150K? When people paid that much for it and there were two buyers bidding at that?

I could go on but nothing -- nothing -- will change your behavior from being self-serving and disingenuous and even malicious.

By the way, studies have shown that people who use gross grammatical errors even after they've seen examples that indicate they are wrong, and even after they've had the errors pointed out to them, do so because they are on some level incapable of accepting and internalizing information that runs contrary to the mistaken information they've internalized in the past. It is not the same as people simply clinging to opinion, because it shows an inability to absorb new hard and indisputed facts, but it plays a large part in such a person's inability to change their opinions, as well.

Nothing wrong with that in itself You can have your opinions about what you like or don't like. And some people genuinely think a book is "fake" if it has a mark of color touch on it (yet somehow it's not fake if it has the same sort of marks but sits in a blue label).

But so long as you so clearly push the material you have a vested interest in, while seeking maliciously to undermine the value of material you don't have a vested interest in, you are going far beyond simply clinging to old ways and old ideas. You are being willfully malicious.

The guys who bid on that book knew perfectly well it was restored and bid on it anyway. They wanted it anyway, and it's not your business to tell them they were wrong -- or try maliciously to make them lose money later.

The real damage to the value of restored books is from people like you who simply can't accept that people don't care -- and who view every dollar spend on someone else's books as a dollar that is supposed to be spent on your books. The guy who offered that book for sale did the buyer no harm. It is you who are seeking to do that buyer harm by trying ceaselessy to damage the value of his book (almost certainly because you don't want buyers looking at that book instead of ones you have up for sale or coming up for sale, and won't admit to placing in the market)

Just no love for the PLOD. :(

To me, it's the real book.

It was published in the same year as all the other Action 1's were...

It was distributed and sold in the same year.

It was most likely read and cherished and maybe even handed down throughout years of history.

Through the second World War, Korea, a President assassination... civil rights turbulence... Vietnam...

It's a real Action Comics #1!

Someone just so happened to do a few things to it to alter it's appearance.

Sort of like...

Pressing. :fear:

Bluechip...it sounds like to me you were one of the "Yes" men who told the buyer it was a good deal or that it is ok to buy a restored book for an OUTRageous $150,000.00. Some people do not make that much money in ten years of working 8-5.

I did not call the buyer of this book a lair as he has not told me directly his reason to sell, but you reasonably infer he REGRETS his decision to buy and that is a no-brainer even for you. I do not think the guy would buy the book and resell it right away it unless shows he was not thinking clearly and not planning for the future.

BC do remember my advice on my last JOCBC. Let me remind you....it said be wary of "Cllicking" the bid button at auctions. This is clearly what happened here. He just kept clicking until no tommorow. When he got the book, he said to himself...my god what I have done...$150,000.00 for a "repair Job"......

The facts are what they are....there is in this market TODAY a limit on a restored comic book and a limited market at that. When you cross the 100K mark...good luck you are gonna need it.

BC

My goal here is not to pump up any market, but to give sound advice after being in all aspects of the comic book collecting world.

My advice to buy unrestored, non mid-grade census CGC Gold is a sound one. This in my 50 years of collecting is one of the most exciting times ever, with material comming on the market like never before. One must be careful on what to buy both as a collector and a investor. Especially when $150,000.00 is at stake and this comic book had a "face job" of restoration. Get real BC

BC- the real damage to repaired books is that somebody altered them.....

Which goes back to you have to be careful, I am sorry BC that you own some restored books, get out them, there are a lot suckers on ebay that did not understand the market, they only react to it.

WHY DO YOU THINK ANOTHER ACTION ONE 7.0 RESTORED IS ON EBAY....hello

By the way, studies have shown that people who use gross grammatical errors even after they've seen examples that indicate they are wrong, and even after they've had the errors pointed out to them, do so because they are on some level incapable of accepting and internalizing information that runs contrary to the mistaken information they've internalized in the past. It is not the same as people simply clinging to opinion, because it shows an inability to absorb new hard and indisputed facts, but it plays a large part in such a person's inability to change their opinions, as well.

interesting thought...

IMO the only thing the owner of the book is doing or sone wrong is selling too soon. Had he held onto it, even restored, he would have done fine. But because me must sell it, he will lose some money. I think he is aware of this, and -- newsflash -- its not the end of the world.

My guess is that since he bought it, he has also probably made more than 15K in the stock market, so in the final, financial analysis between him and his wife/accountant... no big deal. sell it and move on.

Which goes back to you have to be careful, I am sorry BC that you own some restored books, get out them, there are a lot suckers on ebay that did not understand the market, they only react to it.

Books are altered in many different ways. The average person would never think a book has been altered more -- and its value affected more -- because it had a dot of color touch, than if it has a giant name or "inventory code" scribbled on it. Take any civilian at random and ask them which book has been altered more, and you will very rarely get an answer consistent with your view. That's why people didn't mind restored books all that much -- UNTIL they were put in purple labels which equated massively restored books with tiny alternations and which put a special, unique "warning" that the book is worth "substantially less" and were told by people with agendas that books in such labels were not "investments."

A look at the history of sales for books with restoration reinforces that. Also reinforcing it are the sales of books which have alterations which, on similar books are called restoration, but which have been favored with labels that do not contain special "non-investment" colors and warnings that it is worth "substantially less." When those books are sold with labels that contain only words describing the alternations, the buyers pay only a bit less, much more consistent with the way it was before concerted and coordinated and disingenuous attempts were made to devalue such books.

So, if you have a book that some kid put a dot of color touch on years ago, it's not the kid who hurt you financially. And it's not the fault of the guy who resold it back when people didn't care all that much. Nor is it the fault of the guy who sells a book in a restored label. The only person who is deliberately and willfully seeking to harm you, in that case, is the guy who is behaving like you -- demanding that the book be viewed as worthless by people who aren't inclined to feel it is, but -- at most -- are worried about how loud and long people like you will cry about how worthless it is and how much you will maliciously interfere with any attempts they ever make to resell it

I have no problem with restored books. As has been said over and over, if the masses knew the difference between a mod, minor or heavily restored book there would be a greater confidance in buying them and the prices would not be so much lower. I see this sale as a needed fire sale. The guy needs the cash quickly and can't wait for the hype of a future auction. I don't think you need to hold restored books for long periods of time you just need to buy the right books at the right price. It is hard to pay a record price for any book restored or otherwise and then turn it over in a short period of time and not lose money that is just a fact. I am sure we have all gotten books at low prices and all lost some cash on some books we have sold. For most of the community losing 100 on a 1000 purchase is probably just like this guy losing 10K on a 150K purchase it just depends on the life you lead and how much you can afford.

I do agree that if the buyer needs to sell it then they likely could not afford it and should not have purchased it. Then again I see people put comics on credit cards all the time so that isn't anything new this was just done on a larger level and hence was noticed.

James G

I wonder who advised him to make this pick? hm I could see buying $150,000 worth of AF15s then doing a flip before the Spider-man movie as a better bet . 2c

Bluechip...it sounds like to me you were one of the "Yes" men who told the buyer it was a good deal or that it is ok to buy a restored book for an OUTRageous $150,000.00. Some people do not make that much money in ten years of working 8-5.

I did not call the buyer of this book a lair as he has not told me directly his reason to sell, but you reasonably infer he REGRETS his decision to buy and that is a no-brainer even for you. I do not think the guy would buy the book and resell it right away it unless shows he was not thinking clearly and not planning for the future.

BC do remember my advice on my last JOCBC. Let me remind you....it said be wary of "Cllicking" the bid button at auctions. This is clearly what happened here. He just kept clicking until no tommorow. When he got the book, he said to himself...my god what I have done...$150,000.00 for a "repair Job"......

The facts are what they are....there is in this market TODAY a limit on a restored comic book and a limited market at that. When you cross the 100K mark...good luck you are gonna need it.

I have no idea who the seller or the buyer was and never spoke to either of them, so far as I know.

But unlike you I do NOT make concerted efforts to interfere with the books that other people offer for sale.

I see books offered all the time and making sales all the time that I consider absurd, but it's not my business to tell people to stay away from them.

You have absolutely no business making conclusions about the motivations of the seller or the buyer in this case. The book was clearly labeled as restored and even sold under the current CGC system which makes it very difficult for buyers to know how much work was done, thereby depressing the sales even more. Despite all that, several people bid the book up to that level -- and you just don't like. You don't like that people willingly paid that much for a restored book and don't mind that it's restored So, you are working very hard to try to undermine the book, and you have gone so far as to malign the intentions of the buyer, to accuse them of misrepresenting their intentions for buying or selling, and you continue to do everything you can to dissuade any potential buyes from buying it from him now (I imagine that you are especially concerned about the other bidders who bid the book up to or close to 150K. It seems to me you are hoping to influence them not to revisit the book now that it's up for sale again. You are willfully interfering with the sale, and willfully attempting to cause financial harm to the seller (most likely in the hopes of diverting potential buyers' money to your own items)

How high is the pedestal you are on?????????? Ive never seen anyone so full of themselves in my lifetime till i met you.

mandy.jpg

mandy.jpg

That's hysterical Mike! :roflmao:

I'm just glad I am 99% collector and 1% seller. Makes it a no-brainer to be able to buy books with minimal color touch/glue or a cleaned staple for a fraction of what the books should cost. For example, picked this up for less than 1/2 guide solely because it had a spine split sealed:

13846581_1_L-2.jpg

Mitch, you may feel that "restored" books are a waste of money, but you have to at least admit that the attitude of lumping all restored comics together (irrespective of the nature or scope of work done) as belonging in the bog of eternal stench is patently ridiculous - especially since virtually every other hobby (with roots much older than comic books) take a completely different view on the subject of restoration.

mandy.jpg

That's hysterical Mike! :roflmao:

I'm just glad I am 99% collector and 1% seller. Makes it a no-brainer to be able to buy books with minimal color touch/glue or a cleaned staple for a fraction of what the books should cost. For example, picked this up for less than 1/2 guide solely because it had a spine slit sealed:

13846581_1_L-2.jpg

Mitch, you may feel that "restored" books are a waste of money, but you have to at least admit that the attitude of lumping all restored comics together (irrespective of the nature or scope of work done) as belonging in the bog of eternal stench is patently ridiculous - especially since virtually every other hobby (with roots much older than comic books) take a completely different view on the subject of restoration.

+1

Also for the simple fact sometimes its all someone can afford. Some people as crazy as it sounds actually love comics and collecting and dont give a mess about the color of a label, so to say they are waisting there money doesnt sit well with me.