• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 listed on C-link

331 posts in this topic

That's hysterical Mike! :roflmao:

I'm just glad I am 99% collector and 1% seller. Makes it a no-brainer to be able to buy books with minimal color touch/glue or a cleaned staple for a fraction of what the books should cost. For example, picked this up for less than 1/2 guide solely because it had a spine slit sealed:

13846581_1_L-2.jpg

Mitch, you may feel that "restored" books are a waste of money, but you have to at least admit that the attitude of lumping all restored comics together (irrespective of the nature or scope of work done) as belonging in the bog of eternal stench is patently ridiculous - especially since virtually every other hobby (with roots much older than comic books) take a completely different view on the subject of restoration.

There was a guy on here earlier, that referred restored books as toilet paper. :facepalm:

BTW, this book may very well be my favorite cover ever. :cloud9:

That's hysterical Mike! :roflmao:

I'm just glad I am 99% collector and 1% seller. Makes it a no-brainer to be able to buy books with minimal color touch/glue or a cleaned staple for a fraction of what the books should cost. For example, picked this up for less than 1/2 guide solely because it had a spine slit sealed:

13846581_1_L-2.jpg

Mitch, you may feel that "restored" books are a waste of money, but you have to at least admit that the attitude of lumping all restored comics together (irrespective of the nature or scope of work done) as belonging in the bog of eternal stench is patently ridiculous - especially since virtually every other hobby (with roots much older than comic books) take a completely different view on the subject of restoration.

There was a guy on here earlier, that referred restored books as toilet paper. :facepalm:

BTW, this book may very well be my favorite cover ever. :cloud9:

I love collectible toilet paper!

medicated1.jpg

Bob don't bother with Mitch. He feels that $80K is a good price with this book yet in reality he is only pulling that number out of his arse. Its obvious from the historical sales figures provided that he is completely clueless. Someone must have really burned Mitch in the past because he is so sour on "fake", "toliet paper" books. All buyers should spend $2M on a blue label book, if you don't then you don't have the "guts" or brains to listen to Mitch's advice. :facepalm: Buffoon!

BC- the real damage to repaired books is that somebody altered them.....

Which goes back to you have to be careful, I am sorry BC that you own some restored books, get out them, there are a lot suckers on ebay that did not understand the market, they only react to it.

WHY DO YOU THINK ANOTHER ACTION ONE 7.0 RESTORED IS ON EBAY....hello

This was after you edited your post? :roflmao:

The reason there is a 7.0 Restored Action 1 on Ebay is the owner wanted all the old amateur resto and tape removed, and restored properly.

I never like to see decent, un restored books being restored just to raise the app. grade. But if the book was previously worked on, and poorly. Then by all means, strip it down and build it back up so it will last as long as possible.

I think you are confusing the frustration people felt after realizing they owned several Slightly restored books once they had CGC take a look at them. With the reality of heavily restored keys being a different animal for many collectors looking to buy an otherwise unattainable book.

The fact that a restored Action 1 can achieve over $100K should be a positive step in our hobby, it means we are catching up with the rest of the world.

Then again, I am biased.

BC- the real damage to repaired books is that somebody altered them.....

Which goes back to you have to be careful, I am sorry BC that you own some restored books, get out them, there are a lot suckers on ebay that did not understand the market, they only react to it.

WHY DO YOU THINK ANOTHER ACTION ONE 7.0 RESTORED IS ON EBAY....hello

This was after you edited your post? :roflmao:

The reason there is a 7.0 Restored Action 1 on Ebay is the owner wanted all the old amateur resto and tape removed and restored properly.

I never like to see original, un restored books being restored just to raise the app. grade. But if the book was previously worked on, and poorly. Then by all means, strip it down and build it back up so it will last as long as possible.

I think you are confusing the frustration people felt after realizing they owned several Slightly restored books once they had CGC take a look at them. With the reality of heavily restored keys being a different animal for many collectors looking to buy an otherwise unattainable book.

The fact that a restored Action 1 can achieve over $100K should be a positive step in our hobby, it means we are catching up with the rest of the world.

Then again, I am biasedcorrect.

Fixed that for you.

Bob don't bother with Mitch. He feels that $80K is a good price with this book yet in reality he is only pulling that number out of his arse. Its obvious from the historical sales figures provided that he is completely clueless. Someone must have really burned Mitch in the past because he is so sour on "fake", "toliet paper" books. All buyers should spend $2M on a blue label book, if you don't then you don't have the "guts" or brains to listen to Mitch's advice. :facepalm: Buffoon!

Sorry for getting worked up. Everybody's burned at one time or another, and one of the things I've studied over time is how people who get burned by one person sometimes try forever to get revenge on that person by burning anybody that fits even tangentially into a category as the person whom they feel burned them. I've been calling it by different terms but you just made me think of one that might be more apt: "Burning it Forward."

I caught the end of the English TV show "Antiques Roadshow' last weekend. There was an oil portrait brought in for appraisal. The bottom line was a real eye opener:

'As it stands it's a 15,000 pound piece - but with some restoration work on the forehead, you are looking at a 25,000 pound painting'.

Given the conditioning I've had around here, that was a shocking thing to hear. Why are 'we' so different?

Disclaimer: I have several restored books and am glad to have them, especially at the prices I paid.

my thought process on a moderately restored action 1 is that if folks looked at it logically, an 8.0 mod was at worse (in all likelihood) a 3.0, maybe as high as a 4.0 before work was done on it...

so, if 8.0 unrestored are selling for 1million to 1,200,000....then I think it is very realistic to find buyers for 8.0 mods at 150K (or whatever number)...

however, not all agree, and that is the beauty of collecting and/or investing...to each their own (thumbs u

My thoughts are exactly as above. Until collectors can wrap their heads around it and understand that in the example above, you are purchasing the Holy Grail of comics, in this case a restored cgc 8.0 M(P), at 85% discount of an unrestored 8.0. The only mistake that the seller made with his restored 8.0 is that it is too soon and too fresh in peoples mind to resell. But if the seller had to sell due to financial problems then theres not much that he could do but put it back on the market. Also, it does not help the matter that we have seen Action 1's pop up in every major auctions and elsewhere for awhile now. But the reason these copies have come to market is the premium prices that Action 1's have been selling for. But if there is a dry spell of Action 1's coming to market for a period of time, lets say 1 year or more, I bet you that first copy to market will achieve a strong price or even a record price, escpecially a restored Action 1.

As for Mitch, I am not going to dump on you as the rest, even though I understand why they do, but believe me 150K for a restored copy is not a crazy price, and would have not even been a record price had an owner of an Action 1 not turned down even more for his restored copy. Mitch, you must rethink your position on restored comics, especially Action 1's. I believe the entry level on a restored Action 1 should be 100k nowadays.

I caught the end of the English TV show "Antiques Roadshow' last weekend. There was an oil portrait brought in for appraisal. The bottom line was a real eye opener:

'As it stands it's a 15,000 pound piece - but with some restoration work on the forehead, you are looking at a 25,000 pound painting'.

Given the conditioning I've had around here, that was a shocking thing to hear. Why are 'we' so different?Disclaimer: I have several restored books and am glad to have them, especially at the prices I paid.

IMHO, an original painting by anybody is one of a kind,as such any type of restoration and or conservation is looked upon as a good thing, not so with a funny book, egads even the holy grail Action 1 has at least 100 or so copies in the world, hardly a one of a kind. (shrug)

Mitch

The level of assumptions you make is mind blowing you assume the buyer of this action1 is selling at a POTENTIAL LOSS because he regrets buying the book when in fack you have no clue why he is selling the book.

It may just be the quickest and easyiest way to get the money he needs. It may be the last thing he bought so he isn't very attached to it.

It maybe that he over spent and needs to dump the book.

Heck maybe his wife got pissed and said me or the book.

All in all it doesn't matter one bit.

What we do know

He wasn't the only one to value this RESTORED book this high.

A great many others do not have the same negative opinion of restored books that you have and gladly will buy them.

The price of Action 1 in all grades restored or not has risen and will continue to rise regardless of your crusade to down play all restored books.

I also think it is funny that you tell people to buy Golden age comics. I have collected books for 20+ years and over that time I have seen a decline in GA books. Sure there are some exceptions but just look at the value of a Marvel 1, Adventures, More Funs and many other GA books that used to be huge books are now "junk".

There are a great deal more books I can pick up today and at a fraction of the cost of what they were years ago. I do not see many dealers say buy gold and in fact I feel that alough gold was first it is it's own area and I just don't see a lot of new collectors getting into it hence pushing the future values up.

The people that have grown up with the Spiderman, Iron Man, and X-Men movies don't even know what golden age is and there dream books are a Fantasy 15 and Xmen 1. These are the people that will push the future of comic sales.

No or couse you will always have the gold collectors and Action 1 and Detective 27 will always be the top of the heap but I don't see other gold keys in any grade doing what you say they will.

The GS Human Torch is a dead character as is the Submariner. I find that Marvel Mystery and Human Torch books are very slow sellers in any grade.

I think that in a few years we will sit back and say wow that guy got a good deal at 150K and it was a shame he had to move the book.

I don't see why you insist on trying to push you views on people even when they have proven to you that your views just don't hold water.

Relax enjoy the comics for what they are and don't go reading into every action or sale that someone make thinking they must have done something wrong or regreted it. Without the facts your just making assumptions and that isn't good for anyone.

James G

Mitch

The level of assumptions you make is mind blowing you assume the buyer of this action1 is selling at a POTENTIAL LOSS because he regrets buying the book when in fack you have no clue why he is selling the book.

It may just be the quickest and easyiest way to get the money he needs. It may be the last thing he bought so he isn't very attached to it.

It maybe that he over spent and needs to dump the book.

Heck maybe his wife got pissed and said me or the book.

All in all it doesn't matter one bit.

What we do know

He wasn't the only one to value this RESTORED book this high.

A great many others do not have the same negative opinion of restored books that you have and gladly will buy them.

The price of Action 1 in all grades restored or not has risen and will continue to rise regardless of your crusade to down play all restored books.

I also think it is funny that you tell people to buy Golden age comics. I have collected books for 20+ years and over that time I have seen a decline in GA books. Sure there are some exceptions but just look at the value of a Marvel 1, Adventures, More Funs and many other GA books that used to be huge books are now "junk".

There are a great deal more books I can pick up today and at a fraction of the cost of what they were years ago. I do not see many dealers say buy gold and in fact I feel that alough gold was first it is it's own area and I just don't see a lot of new collectors getting into it hence pushing the future values up.

The people that have grown up with the Spiderman, Iron Man, and X-Men movies don't even know what golden age is and there dream books are a Fantasy 15 and Xmen 1. These are the people that will push the future of comic sales.

No or couse you will always have the gold collectors and Action 1 and Detective 27 will always be the top of the heap but I don't see other gold keys in any grade doing what you say they will.

The GS Human Torch is a dead character as is the Submariner. I find that Marvel Mystery and Human Torch books are very slow sellers in any grade.

I think that in a few years we will sit back and say wow that guy got a good deal at 150K and it was a shame he had to move the book.

I don't see why you insist on trying to push you views on people even when they have proven to you that your views just don't hold water.

Relax enjoy the comics for what they are and don't go reading into every action or sale that someone make thinking they must have done something wrong or regreted it. Without the facts your just making assumptions and that isn't good for anyone.

James G

Well said James :applause: I couldn't agree any more

It takes the small pee-brain mentality to call me a buffoon. I take personal offense to that comment, and just because I can wipe my ASSSS with your comic book collection, I intend to respond to your comment.

You do not have to spend $2M to buy a blue-label comic book. Action comics #1 is not toilet paper for the record, it's a book that if you put 75K, and hold onto it until 2020, you have a good chance of it growing to 250K.

Let's get one thing straight. I'm not going to kiss anybody's on this forum, or be afraid to tell you my opinion on restored or unrestored comic books. I will not be bullied, insulted, and be called a "buffoon" by anybody. This is not about me, it is about my opinion. Which hits the nerve of truth, which makes people attack the messenger. The message is clear. Investing 150k in a restored book, is not only dangerous, it's just plain stupid.

It takes the small pee-brain mentality to call me a buffoon. I take personal offense to that comment, and just because I can wipe my ASSSS with your comic book collection, I intend to respond to your comment.

You do not have to spend $2M to buy a blue-label comic book. Action comics #1 is not toilet paper for the record, it's a book that if you put 75K, and hold onto it until 2020, you have a good chance of it growing to 250K.

Let's get one thing straight. I'm not going to kiss anybody's on this forum, or be afraid to tell you my opinion on restored or unrestored comic books. I will not be bullied, insulted, and be called a "buffoon" by anybody. This is not about me, it is about my opinion. Which hits the nerve of truth, which makes people attack the messenger. The message is clear. Investing 150k in a restored book, is not only dangerous, it's just plain stupid.

Game over, I am done after reading this tripe.

:hi:

Back to the respectful GA forum I am used to.

wait wait wait. you say on one hand that paying 75K will get you 250K in 8 years. SO whats so wrong with paying 150 to get 250K???

so restored books aren't worthless, just PAY less to get them than what this books is selling for?

most people would be just fine turning 150 into 250 in 8 years.

...and also get to own an Action 1 all that time. Mitch, face facts, hardly anyone can afford an unrestored Action 1 anymore... but to you, who bought one a lifetime ago, and maybe held onto it, (???) you come across as a snob cause its old news to you.

no ones trying to shut you up. you need to lighten up the act.

I agree that people should not call each other names like buffoon. But in the same breath as taking umbrage at that you call other people stupid, not even the guy who insulted you.

I do not and would not call you a buffoon.

But I will call your behavior disingenuous. That is not name calling but a very specific definition of your behavior. You are being willffully and openly malicious toward the value of books you don't own and giving "advice" that shows every indication of being skewed toward your own financial interest at the expense of others.

The restored books in question were identified as restored and people bid on them. It is not stupid to bid on something you like and that other people clearly like as well. The fact that a number of people wanted it and would like continue to want it is what makes it a good investment. That is not stupid.

It is, on the hand, disingenous and malicious for you to try to make that purchase a bad investment by interfering with its value during a resale.

You are very obviously seeking to drive down the value of the book and to dissuade people who might want it;. Not because they don't know it's restored but because you want to poision its value in the minds of people who would otherwise be happy with it. You are attempting to use this forum to get word to the underbidders that they should not make another go at the book, or that other potential bidders should not as well, in a fairly obvious attempt to get those potential investors to look instead only at the things you might be selling.

Your attacks have not even been limited to restored books (fully disclosed and sold in purple labels) but also to mid grade books and lower grade books (which have in many cases shown increases just as nice as in the upper grades). In each case it's clear that what it's about is you saying that anything which is not precisely in your proverbial wheelhouse is a bad buy, regardless of sales figures to the contrary. So it's clear that it's much less about what's happening than it is about what you want to make happen.