• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

Thanks guys, this was the first run I completed when I got back into the hobby five years ago. I hadn't had them out in the light of day for a while, and I was pleasantly surprised (mostly) at how they held up to my current, more informed, collecting standards. I also had fun reading them. There's some fun stories here.

#5 - a file copy for today. This book is structurally a 9.2 or so, but got hit for the stamps. I love it. :cloud9: I have a reader copy and the first story, where Pogo and Albert try to write a funny animal story, is hilarious.

pogo_05.thumb.jpg.d2eadec6d5b6a5301a8cebfadc887831.jpg

#5 - a file copy for today. This book is structurally a 9.2 or so, but got hit for the stamps. I love it. :cloud9: I have a reader copy and the first story, where Pogo and Albert try to write a funny animal story, is hilarious.

pogo5_small.jpg

I might have told this story before but it bears repeating next to the stamped book above. A number of years ago we took a vacation which involved landing in Chicago and driving around Lake Michigan with a three night stop at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. I highly recommend this hotel by the way as well as the island.

We landed in Chicago late, got a car and drove north towards Millwaukee, stopping in a motel about 60 miles north of Chicago. I also got to introduce the family to the wonders of White Castle Burgers that night. Getting up the next morning and looking at the map I saw that a detour from the interstate along the lake would put us in Racine Wisonsin; well you know which way I turned!

We got to Racine and had lunch and I looked in the phone book for any reference to Western Publishing but could not find one. I was wondering who I might ask about the plant when I saw a postman walking down the street and figured he might know where the plant had been and sure enough he told me what street to go down. Well, Western Publishing was long gone but the old brick building was there and it was now a shared office space with a learning center tucked in too. Above the door though in carved letter forms was the name "Western" so I knew we were in the right place. Anyway, somewhere in that building your book spent the better part of its life before springing free. I have a couple of these file copies too and I think the stamp only adds to the value and takes nothing away from the beauty of the book.

I have photos of the door somewhere but I can't locate easily today.

Nice one 40Y. I was in Sydney a couple of weeks ago and happened to be staying in Castlereigh Street - so I had to go find #149, where Australian Disney comics were published from 1946 to 1978. I too have a photo of the door. :insane:

Anyhoo, here's today's Pogo - we're up to #9.

pogo_09.thumb.jpg.0a954360b98043cd58056e543e40f463.jpg

Nice one 40Y. I was in Sydney a couple of weeks ago and happened to be staying in Castlereigh Street - so I had to go find #149, where Australian Disney comics were published from 1946 to 1978. I too have a photo of the door. :insane:

Interesting as the end of that timeline (1978) pretty much corresponds to the end of Disney newstand distribution in the US and the advent of the comic bags in the chain stores. A bleak era for the Disney collector here.

Almost forgot today (which is your tomorrow) or is it tomorrow already where most of you guys are - which would be my today? OK, I'm confused too. Here's #11

pogo_11.thumb.jpg.896a1cc98b1bea19ec093e6a8b2f2c9d.jpg

pogo_09.jpg

Notice with #9 they switch to 15 cents each. Now that was very pricey for the day so either the market could bear it because Kelly was selling well or Western was trying to make up for the licensing fees from Kelly. Wish I knew the answer. Lost in the discarded business files of Western Publishing.

On another note, there is more interesting intrigue to the Dell story if you ever get a chance to read about the relationship between Helen Meyer who actually ran Dell and George Delacorte who owned it. Some of this tale is buried in articles in some of the Tomorrow's Publishing magazines.

This is a clever twist on the Santa's reindeer & sleigh. I'm enjoying all of the comics you have been posting. (thumbs u

Almost forgot today (which is your tomorrow) or is it tomorrow already where most of you guys are - which would be my today? OK, I'm confused too. Here's #11

pogo11.jpg