• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

What wonderful covers. AJD.

Always have slightly mixed feelings on the Our Gang issues. They're obviously well done and feature some excellent storytelling. But it seems to me like having Kelly work on something with no fantastic elements was not using him to his full ability.

My one and only Kelly

XmasMotherGoosef100_zps4d18460a.jpg

Another beautiful cover, with the mixing of Kelly's style on the toys with the more traditional Santa Claus.

I'm always amazed that Kelly got a cover credit on these. A few years later, it's unsurprising that they want to highlight the creator of Pogo. But at this point Pogo is just a feature in Animal Comics.

The Kelly thread has been quiet for awhile. I thought I would pull it back up with an image of what will likely be my favorite Christmas present. Still to be read but I have looked through all the pictures!

I'm especially looking forward to reading the story behing I Go Pogo and the Jack Acid Society; both of which I read in high school; thanks to a great high school library.

133305.jpg.ae5750a474d848b911b8a73f7701ca23.jpg

So last night I finished reading the Walt Kelly book, this is a great tome for anyone with an interest in the man's life. Highlights of the book included:

The interview with Ward Kimball about his friendship and working life with Kelly.

The story behind Kelly's relationship with Western Publishing.

The beginnings of the newspaper strip.

The story behind the paperback books.

Insightful commentary on the man himself from his son in law.

Pick this book up if you love Kelly it is great stuff and filled with fantastic illustrations.

135472.jpg.38139b70cd4107a0af834e9054f2e748.jpg

Thought I'd post this before sending it off for grading.

8547912605_18d61c5627.jpg

mm

Dumb question here; why grade that particular issue?

Only reason I ask is because I don't believe you will benefit greatly from getting that issue graded in the condition it appears to be in from the scan.

Solely for the presentation factor...this along with TERRY-TOONS #38...

The SPIRIT #2...and CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES #54 make up

the four (4) free ones I get for renewing my membership.

mm

Solely for the presentation factor...this along with TERRY-TOONS #38...

The SPIRIT #2...and CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES #54 make up

the four (4) free ones I get for renewing my membership.

mm

Oh I see, that's a great line up of books you mention. Captain Marvel doesn't get the attention he deserves but then again the prices aren't bad on the old material either.