• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To resub or not to resub this Marvel KEY

44 posts in this topic

I ran a thread in the grading/restoration Forum asking about guesstimates for grade reduction based on a large missing piece from the margin only of last page of a book.

The average concensus for the grade reduction was One and a half grades or .75 - here's the book in question.

given the flaw noted, do you think this has much of a chance going up to a 7.0 upon a straight resubmission??

JIM89009.jpg

http://www.tvcomics.com/Sids.html

I don't have any first-hand experience - but judging from the conversations I've read on this board regarding resubs - I don't think I'd ever resub thinking I'd get a grade bump, regardless of what people thought of the book. Seems that more people have a less-than-desirebale experience than good.

But, there's lots more people confident about that than me - so 2c

Personally, I think it's worth the shot. Pretty big jump according to GPA.

I have done well on my resubs this month (I'd only resubbed one book before this). Went 5 for 5 and got back a 9.0 that went to 9.2, three 9.4s that went to 9.6 and a 9.2 that went to 9.6 (that last one alone went from a $400 book to a $3500 book). So this might be a good time for you to do it. Might be one of those looser periods.

For a hundred bucks (or whatever the cost is) it's worth a shot at being worth $2-3k or more....plus I don't think they do label notes any more, which would also help the value.

For a hundred bucks (or whatever the cost is) it's worth a shot at being worth $2-3k or more....plus I don't think they do label notes any more, which would also help the value.

Is that the price jump of a JIM 83 from 6.5 to 7.0? :o

Is that the price jump of a JIM from 6.5 to 7.0? :o

Yep. Last 6.5 sales were around $4500 and the last few 7.0 sales were around $7000.

Is that the price jump of a JIM from 6.5 to 7.0? :o

Yep. Last 6.5 sales were around $4500 and the last few 7.0 sales were around $7000.

Ahh, gotcha. The only experience I have is in the low, low grade range - where the price difference between 1.0 and 1.5 is only a few hundred bucks on a big key. Well, I have to say - with that kind of spread - it might be worth the gamble.

have "large piece out margin last page" ever resulted in a Qualified score?

I've seen lots of "non-story affecting page removed" qualified grades... (and while this isnt a full page missing, it is a big interior defect which makes me worry Qualified...)

That'd be my big worry....

have "large piece out margin last page" ever resulted in a Qualified score?

I've seen lots of "non-story affecting page removed" qualified grades... (and while this isnt a full page missing, it is a big interior defect which makes me worry Qualified...)

That'd be my big worry....

yep yeppers.

i wouldn't resub just because of the notes on the slab, says why it received the grade it did.

When you say this about eliminating label notes are you stating that CGC would no longer include the comment about the missing piece on the interior page?

If true, that seems to be a backward step to me - I think people who buy CGC slabs want them to disclose defects not visible through the slab; imagine if this is listed for sale in the marketplace, CGC gets 15 calls asking for notes so each potential buyer can learn why a stunning looking JIM 83 only got a 6.5

When you say this about eliminating label notes are you stating that CGC would no longer include the comment about the missing piece on the interior page?

If true, that seems to be a backward step to me - I think people who buy CGC slabs want them to disclose defects not visible through the slab; imagine if this is listed for sale in the marketplace, CGC gets 15 calls asking for notes so each potential buyer can learn why a stunning looking JIM 83 only got a 6.5

Yes, my understanding is that they no longer put notes of any kind on the label, but someone correct me if I am wrong.

It's pretty annoying, as I often buy mid-grade gold and I HATE staple pops. Now I have to call CGC every time I buy something to check on that particular defect that was once always noted on the label. I have found several books with detached staples in new blue slabs without a note that I would have otherwise bought.

Yes, my understanding is that they no longer put notes of any kind on the label, but someone correct me if I am wrong.

It's pretty annoying, as I often buy mid-grade gold and I HATE staple pops. Now I have to call CGC every time I buy something to check on that particular defect that was once always noted on the label. I have found several books with detached staples in new blue slabs without a note that I would have otherwise bought.

I got a blue labeled book back last month that said, "tape on centerfold and inside cover" on the label.