• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

youve been here for 6+ years, and what 40%+ of your posts are in this thread?

Imagine that. I left the browser open all night and all day to periodically watch the comments. Now I'm starting to get addicted to it. (Seriously, if someone didn't give me a heads up about what was going on, I doubt I would have known. When attacked I tend to defend, otherwise I pretty much stay away from forums.)

Just think...you might never get rid of me now.

Incidentally, in case you're trying to figure out where I got into all of this, I have been doing this for (jeez I hate to admit to this...), well...since just slightly prior to 1960. I am also the originator and owner of the Winnipeg Pedigree which were lots of my doubles and triples. So I have just a small amount of experience....

To the new guy on here defending his business, I'll say this:

Not only did you potentially lose customers, but also potential future customers. I've never shopped with you before, and now I don't plan on it. On the flip-side - had you of honored Ryan's request in the first place, I would have seen that as great customer service and would have become a regular customer.

That's how I've picked all of the retailers I purchase online from - is their customer service.

I had never heard of Third Eye Comics before, but someone here posted an experience they had with them and how wonderful they were to deal with, they're now my go-to comic retailer.

Same with a mom and pops computer part retailer.

You could have made many new customers that day had you owned up provided Ryan with good customer service.

Lastly, as someone who works with web servers everyday, I don't get the whole "server issue" thing anyway. You need to update a price, you update it. It doesn't have to travel through multiple end-points or anything. Either your site is down or its up, its one database feeding the information. If one portion wasn't working, none of it would have been.

Anyway, regardless of the handful of people here who may no longer shop with you, I'm sure you'll be fine in the end. Don't let this get to you too much. Just try to do the right thing next time you find yourself in a similar situation.

^^

youve been here for 6+ years, and what 40%+ of your posts are in this thread?

Imagine that. I left the browser open all night and all day to periodically watch the comments. Now I'm starting to get addicted to it. (Seriously, if someone didn't give me a heads up about what was going on, I doubt I would have known. When attacked I tend to defend, otherwise I pretty much stay away from forums.)

Just think...you might never get rid of me now.

Incidentally, in case you're trying to figure out where I got into all of this, I have been doing this for (jeez I hate to admit to this...), well...since just slightly prior to 1960. I am also the originator and owner of the Winnipeg Pedigree which were lots of my doubles and triples. So I have just a small amount of experience....

Cool, welcome back to the boards.

this is a thread about Saga. you want to talk about the market and bubble, make another thread

Let me rephrase: The Saga bubble which appears to be expanding quite quickly.

What's your web site?

I think we can talk about Saga AND about your fears of a bubble, Joe.

Saga has heated up based on merit. Is it a bit frothy? Yes. Is the price escalation being fed somewhat by buyers of multiples? Yes. But, at the end of the day, I find some reassurance that there has been a reasonable degree of correlation between quality and price increases in the current market.

Also, I could be wrong so someone please correct me if I am, but wasn't the bubble burst of the 90s slightly different to what some fear might be happening today. (I was like 5 at that time so just from what I picked up when I got into comics). Well yes it was driven by speculators, but wasn't the other issue that the publishers were printing hundreds of thousands of copies of books with different covers and stories and inner art?

Saga is different in that it has quality art and story going for it. As well as being printed to order. So, while you might like to compare "bubbles", we don't have the same situation on hand as back then.

I think we can talk about Saga AND about your fears of a bubble, Joe.

Saga has heated up based on merit. Is it a bit frothy? Yes. Is the price escalation being fed somewhat by buyers of multiples? Yes. But, at the end of the day, I find some reassurance that there has been a reasonable degree of correlation between quality and price increases in the current market.

There's no doubt that this is one of the better comics to have come out in the past year and a half. Brian Vaughn's plotting and writing is superb and the art by Fiona Staples is a treat every issue. I just wish there were more copies out there. How's that for contrarian?

It's as I say, if more people would take the chance and pre-order books they think are going to be exceptional, there would be a bigger pool of copies out there and the bubble effect might be a bit more muted. When everyone catches on after the fact and then there is a scramble for a limited number of books, it actually can hurt the market in the long run either by discouraging new collectors who feel they don't have a chance to compete on the early issues, or by ultimately running the risk of injuring collectors who paid bigger bucks for books and not being able to resell them because the prices got so far out of sight that they popped and the market collapsed.

this is a thread about Saga. you want to talk about the market and bubble, make another thread

Let me rephrase: The Saga bubble which appears to be expanding quite quickly.

What's your web site?

It is comicsamerica.com. Anyone is welcome to e-mail at any time at comics_america@mts.net, or if you'd like to speak personally, please call at (204) 489-0580. We'd be happy to reply to all.

By the way, we adjusted the prices on the site earlier today. Quick! Go look and see so you can yell at me some more....

At those prices, you should have no trouble keeping the book in stock. (thumbs u

Also, I could be wrong so someone please correct me if I am, but wasn't the bubble burst of the 90s slightly different to what some fear might be happening today. (I was like 5 at that time so just from what I picked up when I got into comics). Well yes it was driven by speculators, but wasn't the other issue that the publishers were printing hundreds of thousands of copies of books with different covers and stories and inner art?

Saga is different in that it has quality art and story going for it. As well as being printed to order. So, while you might like to compare "bubbles", we don't have the same situation on hand as back then.

Here's the difference: In the 90s there were many copies of a few variations of books. So you'd have a foil cover of this and a hologram of that, and everyone was buying them because they thought they would be like sports cards, which is something that;s a totally different animal if you want to talk about bubbles. Surprisingly some of the stories and art were pretty good, but you had to read them to appreciate them. No one did that. They just wanted to speculate. It used to drive us nuts. In contrast, today we have print to orders. But we also have 5th and 6th printings. End result is about the same, but one difference is that the later printings of some of these books are actually HARDER to find than the earlier ones. I smell another speculation potential. Uh oh!

By the way, we adjusted the prices on the site earlier today. Quick! Go look and see so you can yell at me some more....

At those prices, you should have no trouble keeping the book in stock. (thumbs u

Maybe so. Thats ok. But if you analyze that small group for $250 or so which recently got bid up, then it's not necessarily a stretch. Ironically they might prove to be relatively inexpensive in the long term...

The best part of the "internets" is that I can search and search and find back issues of Saga's for a decent price. Sure I'm not going to find #1 or 2 on the cheap but I feel I made some good deals on #3-7 in the past 24 hours.

Joe's prices are in fact high compare to others that have the books in stock; however when those other retailers run out of stock there is a possibilty that someone, maybe one person will pay his prices....or they will just go to ebay instead.

I just realized I had a set of first prints 2 - 8 that I've read once and put in my "image" reading box.

Don't really know what to do with them. Add a image firsts and sell as a set? sell one by one? Keep them until Saga becomes hot?

I just realized I had a set of first prints 2 - 8 that I've read once and put in my "image" reading box.

Don't really know what to do with them. Add a image firsts and sell as a set? sell one by one? Keep them until Saga becomes hot?

I need a 2-8 to go with a number one that's coming in :baiting: Just let me know if you need some dough dough dough