• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

Anyway, I was really responding to what you first posted earlier today about SAGA and speculators:

I don't think anyone had any idea just how good this book was going to be.

If by "good" you mean the quality of the writing, then I think anyone who follows comics SHOULD have had SOME idea. If by "good" you mean how good the $$$ would turn out to be, then no. But there should not have been a question about the writing.

By 'good', I was meaning the whole package. Not only is the writing good, the covers are fabulous, the characters are unique, FSs art is clean, and the coloring is vivid. I agree with you that people who follow comics had some idea the book would be good, but I think it has gone above and beyond.

Ironically, you can look at the Frank Miller example as a sequence of works where expectations and results can diverge.

If Arrested Development started this year it would be a huge hit and last more then 3 seasons...

If Star Wars came out today, it likely would do okay, but not be the franchise it is...

All about timing and where the culture is at the time IMO

+1, also its funny how the modern star wars get trashed all the time, but if people watched the original without the bias, they would see the new ones are more of the same. Obviously i love the original 3 best, because i grew up with it, but all of them are good.

If Arrested Development started this year it would be a huge hit and last more then 3 seasons...

If Star Wars came out today, it likely would do okay, but not be the franchise it is...

All about timing and where the culture is at the time IMO

Exactly

i should have bought more RRPs. i got stubborn and wouldnt budge lol

How much were they selling for ?

9.8s were ending in the $300 area on eBay, then they started to upswing in price again and i didnt want to pay $340 lol

I can understand your hesitation. It's not like they were selling for $40. At those prices, I would have thought "This might be the ceiling"....

You guys have to realize that sure it's about timing! Star Wars kicked off the epic SCI FI fantasy movie genre! The new movies didn't hold up to today's standards of story telling, acting, imaginary animal skateboarding. The magic wasn't there for the fans like it was for the old guys (me) because they're inundated with history, and better scripts.

I like Saga because the -script, dialogue, characters are fresh for me. Sure it's a sci FI fantasy epic, but its done well... And there is a giant spider woman with disgusting eyes and a perky chest. What more do you need? I haven't been this aroused/disgusted since RTOTJ when Leigh choked out Jabba....

Hit a LCS today and was pleased to find that they had put some more Saga overstock on the shelves. I snagged 5 more copies of #3 and #4 1st prints, and 4 more copies of #8. Interestingly, they only had 2nds of #2 and #5 (probably because I had previously snagged the 10 or so they put out lol ), but no copies of #6 1st or 2nd. They also had a small stack of #1 5th prints on the shelf - is it worth picking up as well?

Hit a LCS today and was pleased to find that they had put some more Saga overstock on the shelves. I snagged 5 more copies of #3 and #4 1st prints, and 4 more copies of #8. Interestingly, they only had 2nds of #2 and #5 (probably because I had previously snagged the 10 or so they put out lol ), but no copies of #6 1st or 2nd. They also had a small stack of #1 5th prints on the shelf - is it worth picking up as well?

Wish I were that lucky

Wish I were that lucky

Me too, my LCS only have #4 2ndprints and #9s, I did grab the last number 7 1st print and a #2 2nd print today.

Here is a pic - sorry for the angle, but this site is not letting me load the horizontal image. :frustrated:

IMG-20130210-00207_zpseac435b3.jpg

They had some additional copies but I passed on anything with color breaking spine dings.

Looking at eBay, I take it that I should go back for the nice copies of #1 (5th print) now as well.........

Okay, I have not read this thread and have no idea what Saga is but based solely on how many pages this has gone, I'm going to download it right now from Comixology. I will be back to blame you all if it sucks.