• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

So you guys are not going to stop and look at this from a business sense, just going to defend away? Ok, maybe Adam Hughes and JSC should just go all digital since its the new way to do it and paper is outdated. Tony Moore should have done all his WD art digitally too.

And when it comes to commissions...anyone ever received one? I'm not talking a quick sketch in your sketchbook either.

Actually I am sick of people looking at it from a business sense. Why is that the preferred perspective? Maybe all your examples should create how they like. Oh wait...they do. doh!

To be honest, here is the gist of the discussion (one that always spirals out of control when someone stands against a creator): Why go digital fully and not figure out a way to be just as efficient on paper. Don't use the get a inker and colorist argument. If artists don't learn photoshop or corel, then same on them. I learned photoshop in a couple weeks.

When you practice to one day be in comics, wouldn't you figure out how to be efficient? Why would you work so hard to become a good enough artist and visual storyteller and not capitalize on the OA sales?

So, lets take a step back on this...does anyone think that it is odd that Fiona (and other fully digital artists) don't produce physical art, especially with the nature of this business?

It's art. People collect art. Why not oblige and benefit from it?

By the way, I really enjoyed Saga.

Then enjoy it. I applaud her devotion to the title being a higher priority than milking it for every $ she can. I really enjoy buying Chew OA and I was one of many trying to find Saga OA initially. At the end of the day I enjoy the start of the book and that's the most important.

So I will :facepalm: now for all the graded copies I'm about to sell. Blame Krighton. He influenced me to do it. :sumo:

What if Rob went only digital?

Rob Granito? hm

So we should all do everything to maximize our profits? You're not standing against an artist. You are standing in defence of capitalism.

So anyways...anyone looking forward to #2?

Really? Are you done now? I was just about to pay you to get back on subject. Guess you didn't capitalize on that.

So we should all do everything to maximize our profits? You're not standing against an artist. You are standing in defence of capitalism.

Um...no. How is that? Does making physical art stop you or effect the price of the comic?

Because her priority as per her interview is the book. Obviously making money on OA is not a priority and you criticize that.

You're right, that is her priority. Am I not allowed to voice an argument against it? Or voice an opinion? Are you the Governor?

Humor fail... :sorry:

Not completely. ;)

Jeff, when did you become such a male reproductive organ? It was a simple point of view. I think you took it a bit seriously.

You seemed to take her not maximizing her income pretty seriously. That always brings out the in me. My personal family choices are not motivated by the almighty dollar and I wish more people would take the time to be motivated by other much more important things.

My apologies if you feel I took it to a level. Your stance hits a few buttons.

Because her priority as per her interview is the book. Obviously making money on OA is not a priority and you criticize that.

You're right, that is her priority. Am I not allowed to voice an argument against it? Or voice an opinion? Are you the Governor?

You are as free to offer an opinion as I am. Are your comments not open to criticism?

People that work in the comic business in general do not get into it because they want to make money. They get into comics because they love the medium. Because they love reading/telling stories. Especially when it comes to creator-owned work. Most of them do what they love, if they can make some cash along the way that's just secondary.

So you guys are not going to stop and look at this from a business sense, just going to defend away?

Both sides can be right.

Business wise, it probably would be more lucrative to be creating hard copy art and selling it post-production. I don't think anyone is arguing against this point.

I think what is being defended is the creator's right to disregard the business aspect and create how she likes.

But, to further muddy the waters, maybe this IS somewhat a business decision. Maybe FS needs to create digitally to maintain a monthly book pace. Maybe her revenue drops off if she creates on paper due to being slower. Also, maybe she is more skilled creating digitally... to the point her paper art is not commercially viable.

I love the art and was saddened when I found out it was digital.

Obviously she can draw.

It will make sketches / commissions at shows even more important to the fans.

That being said, which is worse:

Someone who creates their art digitally with no way to sell it

or

Someone who creates their work by hand but won't sell it, regardless of price

(trust me when I say, I have told this person to just give me a number...)