• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

Sold out in these here parts. Read it. Liked it. So far it isn't fantastic and I agree about the hype machine working it up a bit too much. TV heads were certainly different, but who wants the same boring sheeet? I think it works for this book and I'll keep reading to give it a chance. Definitely different.

Sold out in these here parts. Read it. Liked it. So far it isn't fantastic and I agree about the hype machine working it up a bit too much. TV heads were certainly different, but who wants the same boring sheeet? I think it works for this book and I'll keep reading to give it a chance. Definitely different.

I thought it was an awesome book. The art was perfect for the subject matter. I really liked their grown infant narrating the story. The bounty hunter is the coolest bounty hunter since boba fett. The TV heads sex scene accomplished what I think it was intended to do (i.e., illustrate that the prince and princess are trashy and show their maek you disgusted by their conduct). I thought the story had layers of complexity. I also imagine that the statement by Hazel that she is not the person who ended the war will turn out to be nothing more than BKV lookind to surprise readers at the end of the series. BKV is a great story teller and that comment if true differentiates the plot from traditional, cliche narratives that we are all used to reading. I'm not a fantasy or science fiction junkie (although I enjoy Star Wars IV-VI, Start Treck, Game of Thrones, and other classic fantasy and sci-fi stories). Never the less, I can say without reservation that this book has my attention and I'll keep reading it for at least a year regardless of whether or not Saga enjoys critical acclaim, growth in collectible value, etc.

believe in BVK's work, Safa's plot is rich with layers of material and my understanding is that he intends to write this book for the next 15 years. It was a stand up move on BVK's part to give readers twice the material we generally receive for $2.99. My lord, Kick 2 No. 7 which was released this week was 4.99 and more and more marvel comics are demanding $3.99 an issue. I'm imagine that we will see this title get better and better as BKV's work ultimately does. I have a feeling that most collectors who are sitting on a couple issues will be kicking themselves for not picking up a few extra copies and slabbing them once we learn that the print run was 25K - 30K. Who knows what kind of price tag a CGC SS #1 will demand, but it is well understood that BVK is one of the hardes signatures to secure in comics. I have a good feeling about this book and expect that we're going to see it continue to heat up in the secondary market each and every time another issue is released. .

I'm still waiting for someone to post a copy of this book that doesn't have the production error (the small rip in the bottom left hand corner. If there are issues floating around without that defect, those books are going to demand a significant premium. So far (including the 200 books Branget examined) people I know have counted over 500 copies with that small tear.

Finally, can someone look and see if Image offered anysort of incentive like the one offered for Fatale #1.

Your information, thoughts and analys are sincerely appreciated.

What was the incentive for fatale 1....unless you mean the beast cover

If you ordered x copies then they were fully returnable. This is the reason that there was such a large print run. I don't know if image did the same thing with Sage #1.

SAGA #1, the first issue of the new Image Comics series by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples, sold out a week before its March 14 in-store date. It got near-universal rave reviews. And yet even Image was caught by surprise when the orders for the issue's second printing were double the print run. The issue has immediately gone back to press once again, and the third printing (FEB128166) will be in stores on April 25.

The reprint print run for SAGA #1 was more than twice the usual quantity for second printings, but orders from retailers eager to get the critically-acclaimed first issue in the hands of customers kept rolling in, making a third printing necessary before the second printing is even in stores.

"Saga is the kind of comic that you get when truly talented superstar creators are given the freedom to produce their dream comic," wrote Entertainment Weekly's Jeff Jensen in his review of the issue.

SAGA tells the story of a young family, caught between two sides in a galactic war, striving to find safety for their newborn daughter. It is a monthly full-color comic book.

The second printing of SAGA #1 will be in stores on the same day as #2, April 11, and the third printing will be on sale on April 25.

I would imagine that the 2nd print is proportional to the first print and the fact that the 2nd print sold out is a good sign that the 1st print is smaller than many of us thought. It would only make sense for the second print to be about a 1/3 or a 1/4 of the 1st print. If they sold out the 2nd print before it hit the shelf, I can only assume that the second print was a small number and that the 3rd print is comparable to the 2nd prinf. I may be way off, but that's my gut feeling.

Re: the lower left corner binding tear.

I pre-ordered heavy on Saga #1 and, of the 40 copies I've looked at, they ALL have that binding tear to one degree or another. Having subbed several books to CGC in my time, I don't think that by itself would prevent a 9.8 grade. That being said, I wouldn't expect to see any 9.9 or 10.0 copies.

I just sold out of saga first prints yesterday....didn't even order 2nd prints because I still had copies on my shelves, but did just order a few 3rd prints...

and I placed in stock reorders 2x from diamond after release, so not sure the accuracy of the "sold out" a week before, unless diamond filled my orders from their damage/shortages unused reserve (shrug)

Theres plenty of 1st print left at my LCS
past present future (shrug)

Tates

Cool. I know PPF has a bunch too

I'm shocked that no one has gone to those stores and bought all the copies ... are they limiting them to one per customer or are they in poor condition? You can't even buy a copy of Saga 1 for cover price on ebay and I picked up a Chew 1 on amazon for $50.00 when raw copies were selling for two to three hundred dollars (at the peek of the books speculator frenzy).

Since Fiona Staples does her art digitally, is there any plans for her to sell prints or other original art to fill the void created because there is no opportunity to purchase original pages? Any info that anyone has learned is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Nico Esq