• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve B's answers to "tough questions"

256 posts in this topic

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

... is the primary reason for existing for ANY for-profit company. The better ones however, find a way to balance revenue maximization consistantly with ethics and their mission statement.

Ethics in this matter is all a matter of opinion. One man may find something about this unethical, another may not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I for one find nothing about Wizard First unethical. Just a business decision that some people will agree with, and some people will not. ----Sid

... is the primary reason for existing for ANY for-profit company. The better ones however, find a way to balance revenue maximization consistantly with ethics and their mission statement.

Ethics in this matter is all a matter of opinion. One man may find something about this unethical, another may not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I for one find nothing about Wizard First unethical. Just a business decision that some people will agree with, and some people will not. ----Sid

All ethics are a matter of opinion.

In your opinion thumbsup2.gif

In your opinion thumbsup2.gif

that's a matter of opinion 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Somewhere or another around here there is a pretty good post from Steve about the why's and wherefor's regarding their decision on WF. confused-smiley-013.gif

Never said that wasn't part of the reason confused-smiley-013.gif

As soon as I get my $1,000,000 together, I'll get to have my own grading system too... thumbsup2.gifsumo.gif

I think the consensus at the WonderCon dinner was that we should have the grades represented by pictures of beautiful women instead of letters or numbers...

"WTB: Fantastic Four 11 in Liz Hurley or better"

"FS: Incredible Hulk 1 in Roseanne Barr, all offers considered"

"WTT: my TOS 49 in Brooke Burns for your Action 6 in Tammy Faye Baker"

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

So if I want an Amazing Fantasy #15 in Pamela Anderson, does that mean that it's the equivalent of a CGC 9.0 APP. Extensive (P)?

And let me guess -- the Action #6 in Tammy Faye Baker means an Action #6 in App. 1.5 FR/GD, with extensive amateur color touch?

You think she would grade that high? 893whatthe.gif I doubt it! 27_laughing.gif

Did you ever hear Ron Shock do his Jim and Tammy story? Ask Chrisco! Jiiiiiiiiiiiiimy (said like a sheep) blush.gif

And let me guess -- the Action #6 in Tammy Faye Baker means an Action #6 in App. 1.5 FR/GD, with extensive amateur color touch?

You think she would grade that high? 893whatthe.gif I doubt it! 27_laughing.gif

Did you ever hear Ron Shock do his Jim and Tammy story? Ask Chrisco! Jiiiiiiiiiiiiimy (said like a sheep) blush.gif

I figured that Roseanne Barr was the equivalent of 1.0 and Anne Ramsey was the equivalent of 0.5, so I had to put TFB somewhere. It was the lowest grade that wasn't taken. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know Ron Shock. Who is that?

I don't know Ron Shock. Who is that?

He's frikkin' hilarious! Only comedian in the world that studied to be a priest, was arrested for being a jewel theif, and became the VP of a major publishing house......In that order! shocked.gif

He's rude and crude and tells one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard! 27_laughing.gif

CGC would still not consider such restoration to fall into the "unacceptable" (i.e., Purple label) category.

You know, I just cannolt understand how some restoration can be "unacceptable" and other can, by extrapolation, be "acceptable". Either there is restoration or there is not restoration. If you have a different label for restoration put all books under it. If you don't want to put all books under it trhen don't put ANY books under the resto label and just describe it on the label itself.

I still cannot accept or even fathom this duality when it comes to resto - it is restored or it isn't. Period.

CGC would still not consider such restoration to fall into the "unacceptable" (i.e., Purple label) category.

You know, I just cannolt understand how some restoration can be "unacceptable" and other can, by extrapolation, be "acceptable". Either there is restoration or there is not restoration. If you have a different label for restoration put all books under it. If you don't want to put all books under it trhen don't put ANY books under the resto label and just describe it on the label itself.

I still cannot accept or even fathom this duality when it comes to resto - it is restored or it isn't. Period.

Pov, who would want to buy a book with a PLOD?? Thus, if a book has only a LITTLE resto, then why kill the value with the kiss from the purpley lips?

Pov, who would want to buy a book with a PLOD?? Thus, if a book has only a LITTLE resto, then why kill the value with the kiss from the purpley lips?

Khaos - CGC's job should be reporting grades. Why should they even be considering value? (which I am not saying they are but responding to your value thang - its your thang!)

Khaos - CGC's job should be reporting grades. Why should they even be considering value? (which I am not saying they are but responding to your value thang - its your thang!)

But Pov, if people start getting PLOD's for even the SMALLEST amounts of resto on their very old books, then they'll stop submitting them for grading!

But Pov, if people start getting PLOD's for even the SMALLEST amounts of resto on their very old books, then they'll stop submitting them for grading!

OR the PLOD market would start to be better understood..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif which would mean higher prices.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif forget I said anything!

Objection...your honour. He is LEADING the witness.... 893naughty-thumb.gif