• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warning: Amazing Fantasy #15 Scam

61 posts in this topic

a color copy of a cover is one thing...

a color copy of a cover that has been distressed to show aging like this one makes me think even less of whom ever did the "restoration" work putting that cover on it.

why take the effort to "age" a cover unless the intent is to fool people?

:acclaim: I remember starting that thread!

But it was a different Amazing Fantasy. The links are dead now, but that one was the Matt Nelson Classics Incorporated cover. You can easily spot that one by the horizontal color breaking crease under the 12 cents.

Here is a picture of Nelson's repo cover for anybody currently shopping for an AF #15. Always do your research. ;)

af15_front_after1.jpg

Great Work Shellhead!...

There used to be Graphically created CGC Detective Badges awarded

for this type of solid detective work.

Go Get 'em!

(thumbs u

Yes, Red used to do that...I think Flee can sub in since he has the graphic skillz.

:acclaim: I remember starting that thread!

But it was a different Amazing Fantasy. The links are dead now, but that one was the Matt Nelson Classics Incorporated cover. You can easily spot that one by the horizontal color breaking crease under the 12 cents.

Here is a picture of Nelson's repo cover for anybody currently shopping for an AF #15. Always do your research. ;)

My mistake (because of the dead image links). :sorry:

OK, I'll bite;

How does a repo cover get all of that wear and tear?? Does the producer try to match the cover condition to the book or something?? and why does a repo cover have color touch??

I'm confused... ???

guessing... the best version of a cover he could find still had color breaks that he wanted to perfect so there was some pro-color touch after the cover was produced...

and as far as how it gets wear and tear? There are plenty of restoration experts who can probably tell you the tricks of how to mimic wear and tear in a book to try and "age" it...

Update: I just spoke to someone at eBay also - and guided them right to this thread...and she took the time to actually read it..shes reporting it right now

I also told her they need to have a box where one can just report an item and write a description WHY the item is questionable instead of being corralled like cattle into a limited choice of answers..

anyway... she seemed genuinely concerned and seemed like she was going to do something about it

sooo.....Good work/eye Shellhead! :applause:

The only problem with that though, is if it isn't taken down and you don't pay, he'll probably just give the underbidder a Second Chance Offer, which may have happened when he "sold" it previously. I didn't look to see if those had signs of shilling.

How could CGC have given this a 4.5 Purple????? That is SO deceptive!

I thought when a comic didn't have its cover that CGC gave it a NG or a .5.

That slab was graded in 04, CGC realized this was not the way to deal with repro covers, and has since adopted the policy that comics with repro covers will get a .5 or NG.

As they should be.

OK, I'll bite;

How does a repo cover get all of that wear and tear?? Does the producer try to match the cover condition to the book or something?? and why does a repo cover have color touch??

I'm confused... ???

I know that Matt typically only uses restored, or aged books to use as repro cover copies, to avoid people trying to pass them off as original, NM copies.

Whoever took this photo copy and CT'ed, and aged the edge did so on their own. This obviously is not what a repro cover is for.

Also, the interior is restored as well, piece fill and CT.

All joking aside... I would be extremely happy to own that book and the repo cover looks nice. It's too bad he hasn't been honest about it because I'm sure it's still worth a few bucks at a .5 grade. Anyways, kudos on the detective work and hopefully it prevents someone from getting ripped off. (thumbs u