• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

artist reps

75 posts in this topic

I would always say with art and artists, yes, have patience, be prepared to wait, and empower yourself if at all possible by not doing a full cash in advance payment, so an aritst has actual incentive to complete your commission, as opposed to providing a full cash in advance payment and getting the typical run-around (i.e., no responses via email, an ongoing "i'm working on it next" status, etc.) and even up front know what the expectations are in terms of a rough delivery date, whether it's to be picked-up at a show, or mailed (and if mailed, who is to to pay for insurance and proper packaging and related postage costs).

It's not uncommon to put down a deposit either, but I think that should be about 20% to motivate the piece to be done with quality craftsmanship (since you can always decline the piece and not pay the 80% balance if the artist truly fell asleep at the wheel) as well as the all-important timing of completion (as opposed these horror stories of people waiting years and years).

The relevant questions to ask are:

1) HOW MUCH (cost) is it?

2) What are the payment terms? Cash, Check or Credit Card? Remember, even if you pay by Pay Pal, there's a statute of limitations to how long you can wait to reclaim your money if fraud comes into the picture. Is there a refund policy? (Some artists are gracious enough to say, if you don't like it, you don't have to pay for it, or can get it redone, where others avoid that situation and work with the fan along the process to ensure the piece is going to be of satisfaction)

Is it Cash in Advance or Payment upon Delivery? Payment Plans or Deposits?

Always ALWAYS Always get a receipt. Then there's no question to whether you paid or not. Also, for insurance purposes, ownership statement, as well as eventual taxation purposes should you sell the piece, you have record.

3) HOW LONG? What is the timeline for completion. Get a commitment you're comfortable with. Some are willing to go to the back of a 3+ year waiting list, other fans are not. Know the situation before you enter the room.

4) Is the artist interactive in terms of providing layouts as it is a work in progress? Is the artist open for any amout of "art direction" to guide the piece to what you envision? Some like creative freedom and not being told what to do. Others enjoy sharing in the creative process and ultimately feel they're being hired and contracted to do a job, so ask "so, what exactly do you want?"

5) Details of the rendering. Is it pencil only? Is it inked? Is there marker tonals or color? Will it include any backgrounds? Is it full body? What size paper is being used?

6) Ask to see "examples" of typical work produced at the rate given. Most artists should have samples to show you what you'll get in terms of the size and details in the rendering.

He or she who holds the money, weilds the power, so don't so easily surrender those rights and that empowerment and have to then meekly say "yes sir, no sir" and accept being a doormat fan who has to essentially beg for their piece, sometimes to deaf ears and other times to repeated frustration. You are the customer. The customer is not always right, but they should always be treated fairly and with professional respect. Vice versa too with the artists, so if an artist is too busy, accept that as the answer. If you don't like the artists terms, it's your option to walk away as well, there's always another artist who may be more compatible to your needs who can appreciate your patronage.

Excellent advice Rick, thanks! I try to stick to your points as much as is possible.

Smith's commission rate is pretty high (although a lot less that Art Adams!). Looking at ebay and a few of the dealers' sites, I could maybe get two or three decent (not stellar) published pages for the price of a two character w/bkg commission. Granted, the sample commissions look pretty good on his rep's site. Any chance anyone's actually gotten a commission from Smith? If so, how happy are you with it? How was the process?

I got one from Paul Smith and could not be happier. Quick and he gave me a few roughs to choose from. I think it may be one of the best commissions I have ever gotten. It is on my CAF under sean wasielewski. I just got some info from John on Art Adams; it is high but I may go for it anyway. Art freakin' Adams man!

I got one from Paul Smith and could not be happier. Quick and he gave me a few roughs to choose from. I think it may be one of the best commissions I have ever gotten. It is on my CAF under sean wasielewski. I just got some info from John on Art Adams; it is high but I may go for it anyway. Art freakin' Adams man!

O yeah, I saw the little pic of your commission on Paul's rep's site. I was one of my favorites.:)

I found Art Adams's rep to be extremely rude and unprofessional. I sent him an email and I quote "I have always been a big fan of Mr Adams's artwork and I was interested in getting a one-character commission. So short of $10,000 what would the cost be?"

His response, that is what it would be, 10K. I asked if he was kidding and he said that Art was greatly in demand and that was the cost. I wouldn't take a commission from him now if they paid me.

I found Art Adams's rep to be extremely rude and unprofessional. I sent him an email and I quote "I have always been a big fan of Mr Adams's artwork and I was interested in getting a one-character commission. So short of $10,000 what would the cost be?"

His response, that is what it would be, 10K. I asked if he was kidding and he said that Art was greatly in demand and that was the cost. I wouldn't take a commission from him now if they paid me.

Speedy did say he was expensive but 10k, wow, he must of been having a bad day.

Speedy did say he was expensive but 10k, wow, he must of been having a bad day.

Yeah, that's kooky. 10K is five times the actual rate. Aside from the number though, you're right that he's a pretty no nonsense (even abrasive) guy to deal with. He lays out a bunch of rules, and you either take 'em or leave 'em.

This hobby isn't known for having the most socially adept people associated with it. Add big ego's and you can quickly have our seemingly (to you) innocent email joke or not taken in the wrong manner.

I don't know if this was the case with you, but I have seen it.

When I write any email to someone new, I look it over and put it through the corporate test. Would you send that email to your boss or client? If not, then you need to rephrase it.

Knowing your audience is important.

Some people are jerks, and some people have bad days, you never know what's going on with someone on the other side of the keyboard.

I agree with Pete's comments about the personalities within this hobby.

What is failed to be realized is that to a certain degree, you're empowered as the customer. Not to be rude. Not to have a birthright. But to choose who you feel DESERVES and has earned the right for your business and for your hard earned money.

It's examples like this, where I usually hope and wish people would not "feed the ego" and continue economic support of such individuals.

It's a law of supply and demand, so once the demand declines, generally the sellers have to make adjustments to survive, whether that's in economics (lowering priced) or the quality of service (in this case, being more polite).

I think this epidemic is more prevelant with the commission scene.

I sometimes find it odd, how so many fans kowtow to these artists and art reps as if they're the second coming of Jesus, almost appologizing for "bothering them" with a simple question or request then go on their hands and knees bowing sometimes goveling to get onto commission lists.

Furthermore, when an artist does not complete the commission, the fans usually accept that as a fact of life, allows themselves to get walked on and over, and subsequently has to continue to beg for communication and chase the piece he/she paid for.

I don't think I've seen any cases ('tho I'm sure it's happened) where an artist finishes a piece and the fan does not have the money, gives the fan the piece anyway and makes the artist chase the fan for the payment. That's why I always say, don't give your cash in advance, you're giving away your power. Give a deposit, get a receipt, but don't hand over the keys to the house unless it's an artist with a solid reputation and track record for being reliable and professional.

...and again, for those artists and art reps who don't deserve your business, there are plenty of very gracious artists and reps who are appreciative of you as a fan as well as, as a customer and the money you bring. You'll be much better off, since when you look at the piece you'll see it with more heart felt emotion to the experience rather than negativity over the whole incident.

I liked Speedy-D's original question:

Is there an index anywhere that lists what artist is repped by whom?

Anybody know if that exists? That would be a great resource. I run into the same problem -- trying to look through a couple dozen dealer sites looking for rep info.

-Steve

I liked Speedy-D's original question:

Is there an index anywhere that lists what artist is repped by whom?

Anybody know if that exists? That would be a great resource. I run into the same problem -- trying to look through a couple dozen dealer sites looking for rep info.

-Steve

Isn't that this thread is trying to do? I supposed someone can go through it and make it a sticky

or have some sort of life wiki thing where people can update as it changes. Someone set up a wikipedia page!

I'll give you my list of "good guys" (your mileage may vary):

Good guys still drawing (in no particular order)

• Frank Brunner – Still has it and boy does he have it

• Nick Cardy – Awesome experience and such a nice guy

• Mike DeCarlo – Lots of fun to work with, fast, professional, and very creative.

• Mike Grell – Worked through his agent (Scott Kress) and Mike nailed it

• Ernie Colon – Doesn’t do commissions frequently, but he does good ones!

• Carmine Infantino – really a sketch mediated by J. David Spurlock

• Mike Netzer – A real pleasure. I like Mike.

• Al Plastino – Awesome! Fun to work with and really did a great job. Prefers recreations which worked for me.

• Fred Hembeck – Excellent experience and he nailed the task. Couldn’t be happier. Got to meet him recently.

• John Sterling Lucas – Really good guy. He should get more work. He also did a perfect job; really exceed my expectations.

• Herb Trimpe – Nailed it and easy to work with.

• Stan Lynde – He nailed it. Seriously good work

• Dan Parent – Lots of fun and he really got what I was looking for

• Joe Kubert – Won through a charity auction

• Thom Zahler – I’m flying him to Houston for Comicpalooza; trying to get him some extra press so I must have liked it. :)

Good guys who have passed

• George Tuska – Even at 90+, he was blazing fast and customer oriented. I was impressed.

• Giordano – Fun to work with and I like what he did for me.

• Gene Colan – He promised to knock my socks off and he did.

• Jim Mooney – He was delightful and fast.

Mediocre (slow, but good quality)

• Joe Rubinstein

I have one "bad" one in progress, but I'm making a last ditch effort to get it right. We'll see.

You can see them all in my CAF gallery - http://cafurl.com?i=15459. Enjoy them, I do.