• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Key has the Worst Story???

50 posts in this topic

JIM 83 is a bad story around a great idea. The whole alien story is really bad. It's my vote for worst story in a Marvel SA key.

I liked Avengers 1 except the Hulk as a clown thing...that was horrible.

My favorite SA stories from keys are AF 15 and TOS 39.

Maybe its me, but I just can't read ASM #129 without laughing at how badly written the story is. For such a lasting character, the Punisher should have had a more memorable first appearance...

Really? I thought that was one of the better ones from that era.... (shrug)

I agree...I though Gerry Conway and Ross Andru's run on the title was consistently good and this issue was no exception. A low-key debut certainly, but Punsy was originally created only to be a monolithic foil for Spider-Man's angsty moralism.

I agree as well.

As kids, we went rabid to read Spidey stories and the bronze age was very entertaining.

It's hard to judge a kids story from 40 years ago with adult eyes today. Most will not stand up to the test of time...the English language has changed, ideology has changed, politics have changed. Everything has changed.

Standing against other stories in their respective time periods, I think the bronze ASM run was pretty good...as was the FF.

As far as Silver Age keys, I enjoyed JIM #83 immensly.

I always though AF #15 was a bit cheesy, mainly because I didn't appreciate Ditko's lines at the time. Now I realize that at the time, nobody else could do justice to Spidey the way he did.

I think the Avengers story is probably the worst of the lot, even in 1963.

Don't know enough about DC SA books to comment, although they did seem to have covers that never appealed to me.

As much as he is my favorite villain, FF5 was pretty bad. Doom drops a net over the Baxter building? Uh, how does that trap them? Then he sends them back to retrieve Black Beard's treasure for him. After all is said and done it is revealed that the legend of Blackbeard is actually just the Thing wearing a beard. Oh, okay what am I saying... I enjoyed it. :)

As much as he is my favorite villain, FF5 was pretty bad. Doom drops a net over the Baxter building? Uh, how does that trap them? Then he sends them back to retrieve Black Beard's treasure for him. After all is said and done it is revealed that the legend of Blackbeard is actually just the Thing wearing a beard. Oh, okay what am I saying... I enjoyed it. :)

Nah, that was classic Silver Age fun. One of my favorite comics.

Amen! although I actually enjoy #4 the best (thumbs u from the first 10 issues...

What did'ja buy me at the London-Con? :baiting:

I don't know how much of a key it is, but recently Heritage auctioned the original cover art for ASM Annual #3.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotNo=92234

This made me think about the first twenty issues Romita drew of Spidey. The artwork on those twenty issues was generally fabulous, but the story in Annual #3 was so contrived. Spidey is "tested" by the Avengers. They tell him to find the Hulk for them. Even as a ten-year old comic book nut, I thought this was an excuse for a posturing school-yard fight. It ends, after a few pages of scuffling, in a draw.

meh

Amen! although I actually enjoy #4 the best (thumbs u from the first 10 issues...

What did'ja buy me at the London-Con? :baiting:

A VOH 35 at a decent discount. PM me for details. :hi:

I don't have access to the comic now, but if someone could post the classic picture of the Hulk as a juggling clown it would be pretty funny. I have always thought that was a bit ridiculous.

The+Hulk+juggling+circus+animals+while+posing+as+Mechano,+the+Robot+Clown.jpg

Talk about animal cruelty! PETA would have a field day with that circus.

Hulk #181 is really, really bad!

Werewolf by Night #32 stinks.

Personally I think wwbn 32 story was good entry of a new character.

I can think of a lot worse in which many of them don't even have their own series anymore.

Maybe its me, but I just can't read ASM #129 without laughing at how badly written the story is. For such a lasting character, the Punisher should have had a more memorable first appearance...

Really? I thought that was one of the better ones from that era.... (shrug)

I agree...I though Gerry Conway and Ross Andru's run on the title was consistently good and this issue was no exception. A low-key debut certainly, but Punsy was originally created only to be a monolithic foil for Spider-Man's angsty moralism.

I did say "maybe it's just me"... :shy:

Honestly, I do love Conway's writing. ASM #121 and #122 constitute one of the best story arcs of the 1970s. It's just something about #129 always seemed silly to me, even as a kid. Personally, I think that the Punisher made a much bigger impact with his return appearance in ASM #134 / #135 - now that was a good read. If that had been his first appearance, I think it'd have been far more memorable.

Like Shutter Island bad.
I liked Shutter Island.

Lots of people did. I found the dialogue atrocious. That part at the beginning when they are taking the boat across the river really sets the tone. It makes William Shatner's acting look like Oscar-worthy material.

Like Shutter Island bad.
I liked Shutter Island.

Lots of people did. I found the dialogue atrocious. That part at the beginning when they are taking the boat across the river really sets the tone. It makes William Shatner's acting look like Oscar-worthy material.

I correctly called the big reveal at the end of the movie while they were still on the boat before they ever made the Island.

That kind of dampened it for me.

I don't have access to the comic now, but if someone could post the classic picture of the Hulk as a juggling clown it would be pretty funny. I have always thought that was a bit ridiculous.

The+Hulk+juggling+circus+animals+while+posing+as+Mechano,+the+Robot+Clown.jpg

I wouldn't say a bit ridiculous. lol

it's all relative, we're not mentioning DC much...