• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15, 5.0 vs. Hulk 181, 9.8

56 posts in this topic

why JIM 83 in particular? You must have owned hundreds of them?

Sure, but it just happens to be my favourite key book right now. I'd rather own a JIm #83 than an AF #15, grade for grade.

I'm a huge Marvel zombie but I've never been a rabid Spidey fan. His stuff is fun to read but I was first and foremost an FF collector with a deep affection for Daredevil as well.

I never loved Thor as a kid but his stuff has grown on me in the last few years and is my fave right now and has been for some time.

FF 12 or JIM 83 what is your favorite Roy?

I consider FF #12, JIM #89 and SS #4 the 3 greatest, most iconic covers of the Silver Age.

FF #12 is also one of the coolest books of the Silver Age IMO.

JIM #83 is my favourite key to read.

(thumbs u

ASM14 is up there too.

There used to be stacks and stacks of Golden Age books on dealers table, all in high grade decades ago. Now they are non existent.

-------------------------------

Unless you're talking about Dells, I'm a non-believer in this statement. Church/Mile High was a big deal because they were so sharp. If everyone had tons of this stuff in high grade, it wouldn't have been a big deal. Only a few kooks were preserving for condition in the 40's, so getting something super sharp is practically a fluke.

it is not as if there were stacks and stacks of HG early SA books at shows in the mid-70s for everyone to have at 25 cents each. My brother's collection, compiled in 75 - 78 or so at NYC shows, trying to stick to a $1-$5 book budget consisted mostly of 1.0 - 5.0 type books. The early ASMs were all low grade readers, etc. I've seen the beaters I bought at those shows as a kid too.

why JIM 83 in particular? You must have owned hundreds of them?

Sure, but it just happens to be my favourite key book right now. I'd rather own a JIm #83 than an AF #15, grade for grade.

I'm a huge Marvel zombie but I've never been a rabid Spidey fan. His stuff is fun to read but I was first and foremost an FF collector with a deep affection for Daredevil as well.

I never loved Thor as a kid but his stuff has grown on me in the last few years and is my fave right now and has been for some time.

FF 12 or JIM 83 what is your favorite Roy?

I consider FF #12, JIM #89 and SS #4 the 3 greatest, most iconic covers of the Silver Age.

FF #12 is also one of the coolest books of the Silver Age IMO.

JIM #83 is my favourite key to read.

(thumbs u

The ff 12 is my favorite non Ditko book second only to af 15.

Of course that cover is by far and away the best of the sa.

I really don't get the cover of JIM 83. :screwy: I think it would have been so much cooler to use the cover of JIM 89 to showcase the first appearance of Thor. Much more iconic presenting IMO. Little green alien things jumping out of an egg ship? Really? doh!

Was wondering which you would choose if you could only pick 1 of the following 2:

AF 15, CGC 5.0 Cream/OW (no chipping at all)

or...

Hulk 181, CGC 9.8 (W pages)

So, what people have told you is that:

1) You should never buy any comic that is going down in price;

2) You should only buy comics for investment, never for their inherent appeal, personal satisfaction, or any other reason; and

3) Really, the only comic book you should every buy is AF 15, multiple copies if possible.

(tsk)

Do you have a Hulk 181? Is Wolverine your favorite character? Did you grow up dreaming of owning a nice Hulk 181?

Do you hate Spider-man? Do you think that since AF 15's have more or less doubled in the last few years, they have possibly peaked in price? Why are there so many copies available on the market at any given time, more than I can ever remember? The book is everywhere, and when a beat up, old rag of this book goes from a grand or so to thousands of dollars, the pool of buyers goes way down. Wait until a few months after the movie, then pick one up much cheaper! :gossip:

Why not buy a nice, early Marvel Mystery or pre-Robin Detective instead, or maybe an early Action?

Buy what you like, and like what you buy. :headbang:

For these reasons you speak of, I'd choose the Hulk 181.