• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kevin Smith Wants You!

72 posts in this topic

Not only did they rip the guy off on the Tortured Souls "dolls", but I liked how he smacked the pen down on the box once they agreed to a sale. doh! Oh, and the girl who brought the long box chock full of Silver Age glory was the highlight of the show they totally blew the opportunity on AGAIN! Should have shown more of the books off and described them more than they did.

So true. I want to see more books (like that golden age collection that came in last week) and less of them trying to rip off people with low ball offers.

So much hate on this show. Just watch and enjoy

What if you've watched it and hated it, then what?

Then go to a comic book message board and post how much you hate the show.

Honestly, what does he expect us to do, watch a show we don't like? ???

Well, we got you to watch "Desperate Housewives" all those years. Why not add another, more comic-related?

(shrug)

Well, we got you to watch "Desperate Housewives" all those years. Why not add another, more comic-related?

(shrug)

hm Maybe they could start a spinoff. Call it Desperate Comic Wives. CALL KEVIN SMITH!!!

Not only did they rip the guy off on the Tortured Souls "dolls", but I liked how he smacked the pen down on the box once they agreed to a sale. doh! Oh, and the girl who brought the long box chock full of Silver Age glory was the highlight of the show they totally blew the opportunity on AGAIN! Should have shown more of the books off and described them more than they did.

So true. I want to see more books (like that golden age collection that came in last week) and less of them trying to rip off people with low ball offers.

They showed quite a bit in the GSX/Hulk 181 segment. I was actually kind of hoping for more of that through the show. Telling me the price of a book in Overstreet is pretty dumb. HIghlight more about the book, what's in it and touch on condition - if they are wanting to be informative.

I did like the show - I enjoy the "what's the best" banter - it reminded me a lot of my old comic shop. Sitting around BS-ing with customers. The buck-toothed guy and the Asian mouth-breather that didn't know anything about comics OR marketing was pretty annoying.

I don't know if they plan on doing convention coverage or things of that nature - but I can see how that would help - as Kevin Smith's connections could really get them good exposure and interesting coverage.

Last night's show was better but I do find their general lack of knowledge to be very annoying. Girl walks in with a pile of nice SA books and they don't even bother to make an offer? The whole Hulk #180-181 and GS X-Men purchase looked totally rigged. $1,600 was the largest sale they have made for back issues??

Last night's show was better but I do find their general lack of knowledge to be very annoying. Girl walks in with a pile of nice SA books and they don't even bother to make an offer? The whole Hulk #180-181 and GS X-Men purchase looked totally rigged. $1,600 was the largest sale they have made for back issues??

I agree. However, I think it was pretty good on their part not to offer a lowball on the SA books. I had a similar situation at my store where I flat out told the guy with a bunch of SA books he was sitting on were worth way more than the cash I had to buy them. I didn't even want to try and screw the guy - and I didn't want him to get screwed elsewhere - so I educated him a bit and off he went.

I wish they would have gone through those books, though. A whole box of SA key titles, and all they give us is a quick look? Damn.

I agree. However, I think it was pretty good on their part not to offer a lowball on the SA books. I had a similar situation at my store where I flat out told the guy with a bunch of SA books he was sitting on were worth way more than the cash I had to buy them. I didn't even want to try and screw the guy - and I didn't want him to get screwed elsewhere - so I educated him a bit and off he went.

I wish they would have gone through those books, though. A whole box of SA key titles, and all they give us is a quick look? Damn.

The show isn't about comic books. It's about the bearded mooch that hates comics, but hangs out in the comic shop, and what stupid comments he can make.

This show is like a train wreck - it's borderline insulting, but I can't seem to stop watching.

Honestly, the young couple walks in, shows a mild interest in the Hulk 181, so the store owners PULL IT OUT OF THE MYLAR AND HAND IT TO HER AND LET HER FLIP THROUGH IT? Did this not seem completely amateur?

This show is like a train wreck - it's borderline insulting, but I can't seem to stop watching.

Honestly, the young couple walks in, shows a mild interest in the Hulk 181, so the store owners PULL IT OUT OF THE MYLAR AND HAND IT TO HER AND LET HER FLIP THROUGH IT? Did this not seem completely amateur?

And he opens the bag and pulls the book right out the top. It makes me cringe when people do this.

Pull the board out with the book you lazy mother *spooner*. :makepoint:

The show isn't about comic books. It's about the bearded mooch that hates comics, but hangs out in the comic shop, and what stupid comments he can make.

AND he stole Alan Moore's beard.

AND he stole Alan Moore's beard.

There's plenty left where that came from.

I imagine it'll be on for awhile - getting picked up again? I dunno, I'm going to say no if they continue with this format.

Funny how the buck-toothed white guy gets on the mouth-breathing Asian guy about not knowing the target audience. This show seems to be catering to people who know little-to-nothing about comics, yet I would make a guess at saying the people who are watching it are complete and absolute comic book nerd experts who have pretty high expectations of what they want to see.

I think this show probably was trying to get into some of that Big Bang Theory popularity - they are thinking that they can be witty and geeky and loveable in a reality situation, and that just isn't going to work with those group of guys.

Those guys - with the exception of the tall guy with the mustache - don't have much potential to be cool. I don't know if it was by design to get painfully uncool people to star in the show, but I can tell you - even with my limited experience at conventions - there are plenty of cool, interesting and non-dorky people that could hold an audience better than that group.

That's just a critique, though - I'll still watch it, keep an open mind and hope that it gets popular, because that wouldn't hurt the industry at all.

I had a friend who ran a comicbook store. In walked a customer with two X-men #1s. He couldn't put together the coin to buy them, so he called me. :) He knew I was in he market for a mid-grade and had the cash.

If I didn't have the money for a box of comics worth around $8K (ballpark), I'd offer to help sell it for a commission or borrow the money to buy it at a fair price. To me, it was a golden opportunity that walked out the door. But yeah, between that, and the early Detective with the hypodermic needle, it looks like they don't really know what they're doing. I'm guessing that Kevin Smith is subsidizing the shop for his buddies. I guess if you have enough money you can do that. More power to him.

I'll keep watching, because I like seeing comics on television, even if the people trying to buy and sell them don't appear to know what they are doing.

Edit: BTW, why didn't they at least sell the girl with the silver age keys an Overstreet???

WC

I'll keep watching, because I like seeing comics on television, even if the people trying to buy and sell them don't appear to know what they are doing.

WC

Yeah, this is the main reason why I am watching too. Any chance to see comics on TV, and I'm interested. I hated the first episode, but they have slowly improved...with last night's episode being my favorite thus far (it helps that I'm a X-Men fanboy).

Question though about that OA: The seller mentioned that the word bubbles were discolored due to them being waxed onto the OA pages; will this damage/discolor the OA pages themselves over time? Because I would hesitate dropping 10k on OA (good deal or not) if this was a possibility.