• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,558 posts in this topic

I'm not worried, I just find it interesting what is considered "Modern" It's confusing to me since I've been basing Copper/Modern from around 1980. I pretty much put it at around the Death of Phoenix (137) for my collection.

CGC's "Modern" tier starts in 1975. Can we not person_without_enough_empathy about this please? I like having my 1976 books slabbed for $14.

CGC's "Modern" tier starts in 1975. Can we not person_without_enough_empathy about this please? I like having my 1976 books slabbed for $14.

So why do they define Bronze or Silver (since there isn't a SA/BA Tier), and include books up to 1982 in the BA sets?

It's obvious that the truly Modern sets are mostly consistent 9.8+ runs that anyone can get on EBay/CL/Pedigree/etc. in a short period of time. No challenge, no set differentiation, and thus CGC has to move 32 years into the past for a "Modern" set.

So why do they define Bronze or Silver (since there isn't a SA/BA Tier), and include books up to 1982 in the BA sets?

It's obvious that the truly Modern sets are mostly consistent 9.8+ runs that anyone can get on EBay/CL/Pedigree/etc. in a short period of time. No challenge, no set differentiation, and thus CGC has to move 32 years into the past for a "Modern" set.

Hey now, some of those 9.8s Moderns are hard to get, especially from the 80s and 90s. I wouldn't say there's no challenge involved, I know firsthand.

I'm curious about this too. It makes it hard to get a Modern run awarded.

I expected your X-Men run to get an award. Bumping some of the bronze sets into the modern category does make it harder but MutantKeys won an award for his copper/modern X-Men run and yours is better.

X-Men 94-143 books were included in the modern category last year too so this treatment of post-1975 books is not anything new.

It is nice to see Carl get some love for his price variant run. :applause:

Hey now, some of those 9.8s Moderns are hard to get, especially from the 80s and 90s. I wouldn't say there's no challenge involved, I know firsthand.

I meant real Moderns (generically speaking, not some weird Con variant or something) not Copper Age.

Been on ebay since 1998, chasing variants since November of 2002, and after a lot of stalking, false leads, badly pictured lots taken gambled on and lost, here is my first hidden Western 35 center won: :banana:

kco220var.jpg

^^

(worship)

Originally Posted By: DARTHDIESEL
Been on ebay since 1998, chasing variants since November of 2002, and after a lot of stalking, false leads, badly pictured lots taken gambled on and lost, here is my first hidden Western 35 center won: yay2.gif

kco220var.jpg

\^\^

\(worship\)
me. That's worth at least (worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Been on ebay since 1998, chasing variants since November of 2002, and after a lot of stalking, false leads, badly pictured lots taken gambled on and lost, here is my first hidden Western 35 center won: yay2.gif

kco220var.jpg

\^\^

Now that is SWEET.Congrats.

Been on ebay since 1998, chasing variants since November of 2002, and after a lot of stalking, false leads, badly pictured lots taken gambled on and lost, here is my first hidden Western 35 center won

(worship) (worship) Wow! Darth nice find is that like only the third copy ever found of that book? (thumbs u

:applause: :applause: Nice 30 Cent AVENGERS #150 also Karma23. (thumbs u

Edited by cosmic-spider-man