• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,558 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed it has been awhile since a Star Wars #1 .35 has been up for auction with any of the big boys. I assume most of the recent ones showing up have been ebay sales.

It seemed like there was time when there was one in every auction.

I think the same goes for Iron Fist 14.

Has anyone noticed it has been awhile since a Star Wars #1 .35 has been up for auction with any of the big boys. I assume most of the recent ones showing up have been ebay sales.

Iron Fist 14 is tougher to find...that's what happens when there are very few copies in existence of a particular issue. Money brings them out, and then they go into hiding...and Overstreet keeps raising the price of those particular price variants so they make a good investment. People hang on to them.

2c

I believe that your perception in this case is reality, at least in regards to Star Wars #1 35 cent price variant. Collectors have known about the Iron Fist 14 35 cent price variant almost since it hit the newsstand, but it has always been a tough book. According to GPA, there have been 22 certified sales of Iron Fist 14 35 cent price variant in all grades from 2.5 to 9.4. This has always been a "two-per-year" book rather than a "one-in-every-auction" book. This is borne out by the past two years - in 2011, an 8.5 and a 6.5 sold and in 2012, one of the 9.2s sold.

Star Wars #1 is an easier book to find than Iron Fist 14 but Star Wars collectors are legion. Two or three years ago the Star Wars #1 price variant did seem like a "common" book as least as far as marvel bronze-age price variants go. Here is the back-story on the Star-Wars #1 price variant.

In the last half of 2009, a new zero feedback seller began listing one of the largest (if not the largest) collection of 35 cent price variants ever listed on ebay. The seller had inherited her father's collection and decided to sell them raw, with low-res photos, on ebay, as BINs. (Thank goodness for Overstreet pricing!) The books had been stored boxed in polybags (no boards) for years. If you bought one of her books, the first thing that you noticed when you opened the box was the strong nicotine smell. Shieldagent and I thought the collection should be named the Marlboro collection. Fortunately, the smoke smell was on the plastic bags, the books inside the bags were almost uniformly high-grade with white pages. The Amazing Spider-Man books were the mid-grade exception. I am guessing that Spidey was his favorite and he actually read those books. Alas, there were no Iron Fist, X-Men, westerns, war, or HB books in the collection.

There were at least five Star Wars #1 books in the collection - all high-grade. The seller listed them on ebay one at a time so it seemed like they were regularly for sale. She had trouble getting the price she wanted for a couple of the books after she found out what 9.4 Star Wars 1 books were really worth. She submitted two or three to CGC so that they would be easier to sell. I remember when she first started listing books, she sold a Star Wars 1 and Star Wars 2 in a single lot for $1600 but found out what they were really worth and reneged on the deal. This made her a low-feedback seller with a very low feedback rating.

Several of the Star Wars books were bought and flipped which made it seem like there were even more books on the market. As an example, the lone CGC 9.4 sale of a Star Wars 1 price variant recorded in GPA is her ebay BIN sale for $10,000.in October 2009. This book was (presumably pressed and) resubmitted to CGC where it became the highest graded book at 9.6 and sold in a ComicLink auction for $26,250.

The majority of high grade Star Wars 1s came from that collection and have moved from dealer stock to collector's closets so I don't think you will see many auctions for high grade books unless another collection is unearthed.

Hi guys, first post on this thread, I thought you might like to see a couple of my recent submissions

msh57.jpg

mokf41.jpg

My missus was hacked off with the master of kung fu #41 as we both thought it would grade much higher

Fyi these are two of the rarest 30 cent variant books

I believe that your perception in this case is reality, at least in regards to Star Wars #1 35 cent price variant. Collectors have known about the Iron Fist 14 35 cent price variant almost since it hit the newsstand, but it has always been a tough book. According to GPA, there have been 22 certified sales of Iron Fist 14 35 cent price variant in all grades from 2.5 to 9.4. This has always been a "two-per-year" book rather than a "one-in-every-auction" book. This is borne out by the past two years - in 2011, an 8.5 and a 6.5 sold and in 2012, one of the 9.2s sold.

Star Wars #1 is an easier book to find than Iron Fist 14 but Star Wars collectors are legion. Two or three years ago the Star Wars #1 price variant did seem like a "common" book as least as far as marvel bronze-age price variants go. Here is the back-story on the Star-Wars #1 price variant.

In the last half of 2009, a new zero feedback seller began listing one of the largest (if not the largest) collection of 35 cent price variants ever listed on ebay. The seller had inherited her father's collection and decided to sell them raw, with low-res photos, on ebay, as BINs. (Thank goodness for Overstreet pricing!) The books had been stored boxed in polybags (no boards) for years. If you bought one of her books, the first thing that you noticed when you opened the box was the strong nicotine smell. Shieldagent and I thought the collection should be named the Marlboro collection. Fortunately, the smoke smell was on the plastic bags, the books inside the bags were almost uniformly high-grade with white pages. The Amazing Spider-Man books were the mid-grade exception. I am guessing that Spidey was his favorite and he actually read those books. Alas, there were no Iron Fist, X-Men, westerns, war, or HB books in the collection.

There were at least five Star Wars #1 books in the collection - all high-grade. The seller listed them on ebay one at a time so it seemed like they were regularly for sale. She had trouble getting the price she wanted for a couple of the books after she found out what 9.4 Star Wars 1 books were really worth. She submitted two or three to CGC so that they would be easier to sell. I remember when she first started listing books, she sold a Star Wars 1 and Star Wars 2 in a single lot for $1600 but found out what they were really worth and reneged on the deal. This made her a low-feedback seller with a very low feedback rating.

Several of the Star Wars books were bought and flipped which made it seem like there were even more books on the market. As an example, the lone CGC 9.4 sale of a Star Wars 1 price variant recorded in GPA is her ebay BIN sale for $10,000.in October 2009. This book was (presumably pressed and) resubmitted to CGC where it became the highest graded book at 9.6 and sold in a ComicLink auction for $26,250.

The majority of high grade Star Wars 1s came from that collection and have moved from dealer stock to collector's closets so I don't think you will see many auctions for high grade books unless another collection is unearthed.

I picked up some John Carters from that set that all graded out nicely, except for the #5.

JohnCarter1v.jpg

Anyone see these two that appear to be fakes in the latest clink auction?

RADF340D201319_102333.jpg

RADE8E8B201319_102427.jpg

There was a seller(s) on EBay in 2011 who was selling fake Iron Fist 14 and 15 variants that were PGX graded. I wonder if it is the seller.

"Appear" is a very polite way to put it. I would feel bad for whomever buys them.

The greed in the attempt to fake books for money, and the so called validation of the third party makes me sick.

"Appear" is a very polite way to put it. I would feel bad for whomever buys them.

The greed in the attempt to fake books for money, and the so called validation of the third party makes me sick.

This is not the first time a seller has faked SW#1 variant. Look on EBay for a seller named Snugglebug2009. They were selling altered priced variants and sold a SW#1 in March of 2011. Some of the other so-called variants where PGX graded and would be high dollar books if they were real.