• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manhattan Projects

1,044 posts in this topic

lol

I just ordered both TPB's (although I've read the monthly releases).

I think these would read better individually because of all the strengths this series has, continuity is not one of them. Don't get me wrong, the story stays in the MP universe, however, that universe is a big place with a lot of different things happening. For instance, the last issue (#10) was a total departure from the main storyline into the mind of Oppenheimer.

It's an outstanding series and one of my favorite monthly reads. Brilliant in my mind.

The pricing they used for the comixology version of volume 2 doesn't make sense to me.

Pricing for trade vol 2 is USD14.99 for 5 issues.

Each issue's individual pricing is USD1.99

Why would anyone buy the trade when buying the individual issues are much cheaper?

I really don't get this pricing.

Then, it makes sense (missed the comixology part). You are correct!

I guess it the:

Buy one for $2 or get two for $3 type consumer psychology. (shrug)

The pricing would actually be buy 1 for $2 or buy 2 for $6, which makes absolutely no sense. (shrug)

I guess it the:

The pricing would actually be buy 1 for $2 or buy 2 for $6, which makes absolutely no sense. (shrug)

My point is that if your reading on a month to month, you're going to pay full retail per issue. But, if you're coming into the series late, comixology is giving you and incentive to go ahead and spend the more $$$ on a digital trade to save money. That's the way it is in most cases I have seen (trade is a better buy), but not so in this case I guess. Point, you can buy Rachel Rising 1-6 as singles on comixology for $11 or the trade for $10. If you spring for the single #1, you may not come back for #2. If you buy the trade, that's more $$$ for comixology up front. It just makes business sense to price all trades lower than what singles can be had for. (shrug)

I guess it the:

My point is that if your reading on a month to month, you're going to pay full retail per issue. But, if you're coming into the series late, comixology is giving you and incentive to go ahead and spend the more $$$ on a digital trade to save money. That's the way it is in most cases I have seen (trade is a better buy), but not so in this case I guess. Point, you can buy Rachel Rising 1-6 as singles on comixology for $11 or the trade for $10. If you spring for the single #1, you may not come back for #2. If you buy the trade, that's more $$$ for comixology up front. It just makes business sense to price all trades lower than what singles can be had for. (shrug)

Understand and agree. Just strange that, like you, I've always been accustomed to the trades being cheaper than the floppies, and in think it's strange they decided that in this particular case the trade was 'worth' more. Convenience when it comes to singles I can see, not so much with digital.

I read TPB #2

Eh. It was OK, didn't bore me totally.

Naturally the first arc was better.

Des this read better in monthly form?

I read the first trade and then started reading the floppies. I was hooked after the trade. I felt a little short-shrifted at the way Truman's Illuminati went out like punks, and I am loving the new arc in Oppenheimer's head.

ANOTHER great issue. I keep waiting for a dud, but it hasn't happened yet. Some reviews:

http://www.comicbastards.com/homepage/2013/4/24/review-the-manhattan-projects-11.html

http://multiversitycomics.com/columns/the-multiversity-projections-10-and-11-finite-oppenheimers-1950-1959-and-building/

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/best-shots-advance-reviews-manhattan-11-lost-vegas.html

Google "Manhattan Projects reviews". See if you can find a bad one. For any issue. I tried. New readers always wonder what it was like to experience past greats like YTLM as they were being released. Forget the past, jump onboard MP, and be able to tell comic fans in the future what *this* was like.

this title reads better in trade format. that was how i read the first 10 issues.

i read 11 tonight. dont get me wrong, i enjoyed it, but there's no letter column

or anything special that justifies the $3.50 cover price imo

Then preorder it for $2.25 like I do. Jeesus. The fact that you get to immediately read it should be satisfaction enough, nevermind the fact that you can't buy s.hit nowadays with $3.50. lol.

Besides, these floppies are without a doubt, in my top 3 series. Beautiful simple cover. Hickman = genius.

Edited by cujobyte

this title reads better in trade format. that was how i read the first 10 issues.

i read 11 tonight. dont get me wrong, i enjoyed it, but there's no letter column

I buy my comics for the story, and MP could have a $4.99 cover price and I would still run to my LCS to buy it for the story and art.

I buy my comics for the story, and MP could have a $4.99 cover price and I would still run to my LCS to buy it for the story and art.

i hear you. i guess im a bit spoiled with the other floppies that i read. for the most part they have letters columns after each issue