• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manhattan Projects

1,044 posts in this topic

The really impressive thing (to me, anyway) is how different each of those books are.

Hickman's a natural born storyteller. But one of his real talents is shaping each book to his collaborator's strengths. That's why his books are so different from each other. That's why MP doesn't read the same as EoW. The most "pure" Hickman works are his solo Image books like THE NIGHTLY NEWS, PAX ROMANA, TRANSHUMAN, et al. Now those DO read similarly, because he is the lone voice. There's none of the comedy of MP, for example, and that's because of Pitarra.

Hickman has talked about trusting his collaborators. His simple instruction for Nick Dragotta on issue #4 of EoW was to draw a battle scene. You can see what Nick D. did with that. The highlight of the series so far. That's how the trust is built.

So disappointed to say this but I have not read this series I guess I will be looking to start a new collection.

(thumbs u

Get the first trade. It's a cheap way to check out the series. By the end of it, you'll either be on board or you won't. That's how I got into the series. For me, the best on the stands right now.

The really impressive thing (to me, anyway) is how different each of those books are.

Hickman's a natural born storyteller. But one of his real talents is shaping each book to his collaborator's strengths. That's why his books are so different from each other. That's why MP doesn't read the same as EoW. The most "pure" Hickman works are his solo Image books like THE NIGHTLY NEWS, PAX ROMANA, TRANSHUMAN, et al. Now those DO read similarly, because he is the lone voice. There's none of the comedy of MP, for example, and that's because of Pitarra.

Hickman has talked about trusting his collaborators. His simple instruction for Nick Dragotta on issue #4 of EoW was to draw a battle scene. You can see what Nick D. did with that. The highlight of the series so far. That's how the trust is built.

Transhuman wasn't a solo book - J M Ringuet was the artist. Incidentally, that's my least favourite Hickman book. A rare dud.

You're right about Pax Romana and the Nightly News though. Both of those are excellent and do have a very similar feel. Pax Romana was the first of his books that I read. I came across it completely by accident thanks to a book called Roma Eterna by Robert Silverberg which had me digging around for more alt-fiction relating to the Roman Empire.

Yo!!

Manhattan Projects #15 was the bomb! I love the infinite/finite Oppenheimer story lines (inside his mind). I could read an entire series of just the back and forth between Oppenheimer's personalities.

I know MP has it's fan base, but this series is highly under-rated (although I can see why this isn't everyone's cup of tea).

Underrated? Great reviews for nearly every issue. Do you mean you are surprised it doesn't sell more? That I would definitely agree with.

Pretty sure that is what he meant. This book is 10x better than Saga in my opinion, and you never hear anything about MP. Hell, look at thread length on the boards and tell me which is the more hyped book.

This book was released somewhat under-the-radar last year. Hickman wasn't the name he is now. As well, there wasn't as much speculation going on. Value and speculation drive most of the posting here. There are no variants (especially an RRP) to discuss, for example. Hence, the lack of posting relative to other "hot" flavors-of-the-month.

As it is, though, the book's sales are amazingly consistent...in the 17-18K range from the get go, with no shedding of readers. The TPB sales are high as well, with the first trade on its third printing. In the long run, quality wins out, and I'm confident that the MP trades will be evergreen sellers a la PREACHER, Y:TLM, FABLES, et al.

So disappointed to say this but I have not read this series I guess I will be looking to start a new collection.

(thumbs u

Get the first trade. It's a cheap way to check out the series. By the end of it, you'll either be on board or you won't. That's how I got into the series. For me, the best on the stands right now.

Just grabbed 1-15 will be starting to read them today thanks.

(thumbs u

Quite an investment if it turns out you don't like it! I'm sure you will though.

(thumbs u

Quite an investment if it turns out you don't like it! I'm sure you will though.

no got them digital for free I will be going for floppy's if I like the series for sure i love image comics but i am no dummy lol

Yo!!

Manhattan Projects #15 was the bomb! I love the infinite/finite Oppenheimer story lines (inside his mind). I could read an entire series of just the back and forth between Oppenheimer's personalities.

I know MP has it's fan base, but this series is highly under-rated (although I can see why this isn't everyone's cup of tea).

under hyped, but not under rated.

I really need to start reading this book, don't know why I've been apprehensive. I have liked pretty much everything else Hickman has done (don't really read Marvel but I hear I should check out his FF run). Just need to grab the trades I suppose, maybe this week.

I really need to start reading this book, don't know why I've been apprehensive. I have liked pretty much everything else Hickman has done (don't really read Marvel but I hear I should check out his FF run). Just need to grab the trades I suppose, maybe this week.

It's a great read. Do yourself a favor and spend some extra time focusing on the art.

Will do. I always try to read books slowly and let everything soak in, especially well drawn ones. Oftentimes, the art is the car showing you the scenery and getting you where you need to go while the writing is the music you listen to while getting there. Nothing better than when there is cohesion between the writer and artist, almost always makes for a great overall experience.

Will do. I always try to read books slowly and let everything soak in, especially well drawn ones. Oftentimes, the art is the car showing you the scenery and getting you where you need to go while the writing is the music you listen to while getting there. Nothing better than when there is cohesion between the writer and artist, almost always makes for a great overall experience.

This book is a great example of a writer and artist collaborating to create an excellent end product. There are some cool Easter eggs in the art too.

Definitely read his FF run. One of the best modern day super-hero runs

I second this. I'm not a big Fantastic Four guy, but his run was awesome.

I third it. Recently bought the volume 1 of the omnibus and it looks great. Contains Fantastic Four, FF and Dark Reign. Volume 2 will complete his run, not sure when it's out though.

Fantastic Four 605.1 was one of the best single issues I read last year.