• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Son's Birthday Cake 2012. Photo Heavy...sorry.

69 posts in this topic

So last year I posted a picture of my son's birthday cake. My wife and I put together a Batmobile cake for him per request...he was four years old last year...I was so proud of him for choosing that all on his own. Here are a couple pictures of that cake.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/IMG_0030.jpg[/img]]Batmobile

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/BatmobileCake1.jpg[/img]]Batmobile 2

So this year, per his request, we are doing a zombie. My wife and I gave quite a bit of thought as to what we wanted to do. Did we want to do a realistic looking zombie or did we want to do a cuter version, like something from the game "Plants vs. Zombies". We eventually decide on the realistic one, because we thought he might like that the best. We also decided to get the most detail out of it we would have to go with larger scale, since the cake is a simple sheet cake a little larger than 9 X 12 that didn't leave us with many options. We settled on a zombie coming out of the ground. So basically we are doing a head bursting from the ground and a hand thrown in for effect.

My wife and I like to keep it completely edible if we can...part of the fun is everybody ripping into the cake and eating whichever parts they want.

I began by sculpting the head out of homemade Rice Crispies treats. The eyes are two coconut flavored Dum Dum lollipops. They were removed after the picture and added back in later after the initial layer of modeling chocolate was applied.

6979168039_fe0dd04c89_b.jpg

IMG_0230 by dicjones, on Flickr]basic structure[/url]

I wish I would have taken more picture of the whole process but I was in the zone. It's kind of like when I start working on a drawing, I get into a trance, especially when things are turning out better than I had hoped.

So now we are jumping ahead to after the modeling chocolate has been added. I have sculpted some wrinkles and things into it. I also destroyed part of his nose. The tongue was kind of an afterthought. My wife formed it up and threw it in there. We both got to laughing so hard we just had to keep it.

We had a blast with this cake...so far.

6979168771_baf9f2dcca_b.jpg

IMG_0234 by dicjones, on Flickr]Basic foundation[/url]

We had the idea that if we took some of those Dum Dum lollipops and smashed them up we could use them for teeth. This is my wife working on that part, I was taking a break and decided we needed some pictures of this whole thing.

6979189681_34803f2a6e_b.jpg

DSC_0003 by dicjones, on Flickr]Heather working on teeth[/url]

6979189889_614a7f613f_b.jpg

DSC_0004 by dicjones, on Flickr]Veining[/url]

If you look at that last picture you can see that it appears that his skin is kind of translucent. We had added some of the fondant from the tongue supply to give the skin a pastier tone. A happy little accident happened along the way, we got some slight marbling which ended up looking like veins under his skin.

He was in bed. The cakes are always a surprise when we bring them out. We have a 6 year old girl we do this for, admittedly though, her cakes are never as much fun...too girly...lol.

We are usually burning the midnight oil on these. We have had some take us until 2 or 3 in the morning. In fact I just heard my wife finally get out of bed.

The final product, well, the final product as far as sculpting goes. My wife is in charge of the finishing touches. I'm taking my son to the movies today so she can put the whole thing together. All we really have to add is some fake blood she made out of a secret recipe. I'm not sure how a head just sitting on top of a cake is going to actually come across, it could be pretty lame...but I'm really pleased with the sculpt.

6833065602_621a44a3a5_b.jpg

DSC_0014 by dicjones, on Flickr]Final sculpt[/url]

6833066116_d85bf6c3f9_b.jpg

DSC_0018 by dicjones, on Flickr]Final sculpt 2[/url]

6833065862_22d450f512_b.jpg

DSC_0017 by dicjones, on Flickr]Final Sculpt 3[/url]

Lastly a picture of my wife with her super secret, 9 herbs and spices, special sauce, blood recipe. My wife refuses to divulge her secret. She claims there will be a fewer stray cats in the neighborhood...which wouldn't surprise me she is half chinese....it's only a joke!!!

6979195267_c8e04e90a1.jpg

Photo on 2012-03-12 at 18.03 by dicjones, on Flickr]Heather's blood vial[/url]