• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's in Dice's box?

66 posts in this topic

I have a pretty unconventional taste in collecting. Some of my favorites are oddball titles, most of which are amazingly affordable even though they're sometimes tough to find.

I'm starting this thread as an effort to share some of the incredible stories and artwork from magazines and fanzines from the '60s and '70s. I love these books because the artists weren't shackled to the guidelines set by the publisher and censored by the editors.

Folks that only collect mainstream titles from the big two really miss out on some original artwork that was never reprinted anywhere else. Not everything in these books are original, but they're certainly not mainstream.

I'll share a page or story out of one of my books here and there so be sure you check the thread every now and then.

With that I bring you...What's in Dice's box?

Feel free to share your comments. :foryou:

PS. Moderators, if this is going to cause a problem, please let me know. I don't want anyone to get in trouble over anything posted in this thread due to copyrights or anything.

My first sample is a story by Betty and Gray Morrow out of Witzend #7.

I just picked this book up a few days ago and fell in love with this story. The artwork is absolutely incredible.

Please note that I had to censor out some of the naughty bits. Being as this story was done in 1970, I had to be very...aggressive in the lower region. hm

123816.jpg.03b999d7f0ae54d43e604b904deb243a.jpg

That story looks VERY familiar hm

I wonder if it's been re ran in multiple mags or I'm just having Dejavu?

I'm glad you said it, as I thought the same exact thing. I'm wondering if it was a Warren magazine, as I use to read a few of them.

hm

This is wonderful stuff Dice-- Please post more. This artwork has a real Alex Ross look to it. I know its like 20 to 30 years before Mister Ross' time, just say'n.

It's funny they wouldn't use this artwork on the cover as it is leagues above the cover artist.

Thanks again!

Tonight's addition comes from the fanzine Spa Fon #5.

Cover by the late great Frank Frazetta.

I wanted to share early work by an up-and-coming Bernie Wrightson, or "Berni" as he was called back in these days.

Mr Wrightson had several pinups in this mag. Most of these appear to be even earlier than the 1969 cover date.

Feast your eyes on the groundwork of one of the greatest comic artists ever. :cloud9:

Here's the cover, btw.

123871.jpg.6c0cf261177c886484845ff6e684e114.jpg