• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Comic Alert: Trailer Full of Avatar Comics & GNs Stolen After Wondercon

15 posts in this topic

If you guys could help spread the word about this, particularly those on the west coast, I'd really appreciate it. Anybody with info could PM me here or use the email address below.

William Christensen writes --

To our retailing and consumer friends :

Avatar Press has suffered a very difficult blow, on Tuesday, March 20th our 5×8 white trailer containing all our convention set-up and inventory returning from Wondercon and heading to Emerald City was stolen from the parking lot of our good friends at Corner Store Comics in Anaheim, CA. In addition to convention display items like wire racks, large back-drop display and signage, loads of books are now gone. Full cases of most of our most popular graphic novels like Neonomicon, Crossed, Freakangels, Night of the Living Dead, and Fevre Dream are gone. Large quantities of World War Z, Zombie Survival Guide and books by author Max Brooks were in that trailer. Some limited editions, created for the conventions, of Ferals #1, Crossed: Badlands #1 and Lady Death #14 and #15 are now much more limited as huge chunks of the entire production run are gone.

We are working with local law enforcement, but we could really use your eyes and ears on the ground.

Retailers on the West Coast in specific, if anyone approaches you with large quantities of Avatar books for sale, please let us know. Diamond is our exclusive distributor, there would be no one else who would have deep inventory on our books who should be trying to sell off the street to you.

Readers and fans, if you see someone at a small local convention trying to dump loads of Avatar books or anything else that seems suspect, do please drop us a line.

Needless to say, this is a significant setback for us in terms of lost inventory, but I want to assure everyone that we have additional inventory of the graphic novels warehoused and available for restock to comic retailers and bookstores. As word of this has spread and people have been asking me what they could do to help, the other thing I’ve been mentioning is to simply keep asking your local retailer for books from Avatar Press. As for upcoming conventions, we will still be attending every con on our schedule, so we hope to see you at upcoming shows as well.

Thank you all for reading and your constant support of Avatar Press.

- William Christensen

Any information about these stolen books can be shared with us at info@avatarpress.net .

That sucks :( I was just at WonderCon and the Avatar crew was really nice. The people running the booth were friendly and helpful and Max Brooks was so cool to all his fans. He was signing a book for me and noticed Joe Hills signature and jokingly said "I hear he's a no talent who lives off of his father(Stephen King)" which I thought was hilarious considering Max himself is the son of Mel Brooks...

I hope they catch the :censored: who did this and/or get the trailer with most of the stuff back.

Thieves probably wanted the trailer more than anything else. Do trailers that size need a title?

They do, but the VIN#s are usually just on a sticker on the tongue of the trailer. They very rarely have hidden VIN#s like cars and trucks. Also unfortunately some of the trailer manufacturers don't keep very good records so it makes it very difficult to trace.

Thieves probably wanted the trailer more than anything else. Do trailers that size need a title?

They do, but the VIN#s are usually just on a sticker on the tongue of the trailer. They very rarely have hidden VIN#s like cars and trucks. Also unfortunately some of the trailer manufacturers don't keep very good records so it makes it very difficult to trace.

Might be worth checking with metal salvage yards in the area then. In my experience thieves don't like to hold onto product, they want cash FAST.

It wasn't me. I only steal books of value.

I'm sorry but that was funny. I bet the thieves were pissed when they didn't open a trailer full of gold and silver age comics. I can see the disappointment on their faces.

But on a serious note, having anything stolen from you, especially on that big of a scale, is never fun and i hope these rotten bastards get caught. Best of luck to getting your stuff back.

Dealers who own their own trailers/vans/transportation should probably invest in a GPS system for the vehicle. I'd probably also get a portable device you can drop into a comic box (maybe as a thick divider-type thing) with a 30 day battery life. This way, you could track your comic inventory separately as it winds its way across the convention circuit (or if it gets stolen).