• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

Collect cause you like it, collect cause it makes you happy. Any financial rewards are a bonus.

Opening packs of 89 Bowman makes no sense other than i guess it makes you happy. I dont see any financial reward ever coming of this :hi:

Collect cause you like it, collect cause it makes you happy. Any financial rewards are a bonus.

Opening packs of 89 Bowman makes no sense other than i guess it makes you happy. I dont see any financial reward ever coming of this :hi:

I DONT GIVE A CARP ABOUT FINANCIAL REWARD! It was the fun of opening a rack case. 3 rack boxes for about $30. I got several hours of enjoyment out of it. Well worth it to me.

And that is part of my point. Any financial reward is a bonus. I collect for enjoyment. I got away from that in comics and it kinda burned me out.

Sorry if this has been said before. I watched the OP's video and my thoughts on this are that comic characters are more eternal.

There is only 1 spider-man, and he has been in comics for the last 50 years. The average athlete's career isn't more than 10 years.

Sports is a business of "what have you done for me lately." Players are VERY easily forgotten. Unless you have vintage rookies of legends expect the market to fall through very soon.

I was collecting a lot of Broncos and Spurs players autographed card and recently sold my entire collection on the bay because once those players retire or get traded the market for them will be gone.

I think the vintage comic market is much stronger, and the sports fad is much more comparable to the modern comic/ variant market.

Babe Ruth is eternal. Mickey Mantle is eternal, Sandy Koufax is eternal, Roberto Clemente is eternal. There are just as many immortals in baseball, probably more, as in comics.

I assure you, people have not forgotten about Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Honus Wagner, Eddie Collins, Christy Matthewson, etc.

Yes, cards do tend to take a hit after the shiny and new wear off. But what collectible in todays market doesnt?

The maxim is the same: Collect what you love, love what you collect, and if there is any money left in them then that is a bonus.

But how many baseball cards have sold over $10k vs comic books...lets say after 1950

the person who helped to bring down t.pryor and ohio state mess,started his shystering around 89-90 in my area. he had so many bo jackson,jordan, and other star's autographs in quanity it was unbelievable. and people bought and bought. no way were those legit. and the sad part was when people brought this stuff into my shop and would get angry when i passed on buying it. that started a sourness in my area on collecting anything sports. and when i seen a table at a local show with fake 86 jordans,68 ryans, 69 jacksons and many other cards. and the promoter turned a deaf ear to it. so i dont think a players off the field escapades did sports cards in,twas greed and over production. read the book about upper deck and the honus wagner card fiasco.

Sorry if this has been said before. I watched the OP's video and my thoughts on this are that comic characters are more eternal.

There is only 1 spider-man, and he has been in comics for the last 50 years. The average athlete's career isn't more than 10 years.

Sports is a business of "what have you done for me lately." Players are VERY easily forgotten. Unless you have vintage rookies of legends expect the market to fall through very soon.

I was collecting a lot of Broncos and Spurs players autographed card and recently sold my entire collection on the bay because once those players retire or get traded the market for them will be gone.

I think the vintage comic market is much stronger, and the sports fad is much more comparable to the modern comic/ variant market.

Babe Ruth is eternal. Mickey Mantle is eternal, Sandy Koufax is eternal, Roberto Clemente is eternal. There are just as many immortals in baseball, probably more, as in comics.

I assure you, people have not forgotten about Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Honus Wagner, Eddie Collins, Christy Matthewson, etc.

Yes, cards do tend to take a hit after the shiny and new wear off. But what collectible in todays market doesnt?

The maxim is the same: Collect what you love, love what you collect, and if there is any money left in them then that is a bonus.

But how many baseball cards have sold over $10k vs comic books...lets say after 1950

I dunno. But I would say that there are cards that trade in that range.

But, sorry to be obtuse, the point of your post is?

I DONT GIVE A CARP ABOUT FINANCIAL REWARD! It was the fun of opening a rack case. 3 rack boxes for about $30. I got several hours of enjoyment out of it. Well worth it to me.

And that is part of my point. Any financial reward is a bonus. I collect for enjoyment. I got away from that in comics and it kinda burned me out.

i did the same with the topps bigs from1988-90 sure had fun opening and collating a set of each series for about 3 dollars a box

the person who helped to bring down t.pryor and ohio state mess,started his shystering around 89-90 in my area. he had so many bo jackson,jordan, and other star's autographs in quanity it was unbelievable. and people bought and bought. no way were those legit. and the sad part was when people brought this stuff into my shop and would get angry when i passed on buying it. that started a sourness in my area on collecting anything sports. and when i seen a table at a local show with fake 86 jordans,68 ryans, 69 jacksons and many other cards. and the promoter turned a deaf ear to it. so i dont think a players off the field escapades did sports cards in,twas greed and over production. read the book about upper deck and the honus wagner card fiasco.
Thats why I originally mentioned "steroids" and "counterfeiting" as my response to the OP Cards striking out

i did the same with the topps bigs from1988-90 sure had fun opening and collating a set of each series for about 3 dollars a box

I love opening Topps and Fleer vending boxes from 81-85. 500 cards, in packed tight bricks, just waiting on a Ripken or Clemens or Boggs, or Schmidt to pop out.

And yes, Mike Schmidt is my favorite player

Thats why I originally mentioned "steroids" and "counterfeiting" as my response to the OP Cards striking out

You ever see how well certified auto's of cards do? Even cards that are aquired through the mail do well. As long as they are PSA/DNA certified they do well

That was back then, not last week though...Right?

Sounded like to me it was recent.

well cards are easier to counterfeit than comics. the steroid thing,i am not so sure of,only because i think the card market was dying before the steroids came to the forefront. any hobby will be done in by greed if you are not careful. for example strawberry,mattingly,boggs,sandberg and gwynn rookie card prices fell because they were out of sight as far as being active players,so that cycle always has been around baseball cards.

I dunno. But I would say that there are cards that trade in that range.

But, sorry to be obtuse, the point of your post is?

My point is I agree with the OP that Collectors are striking out with baseball cards. They, compared to comic books.....S....U....C...K. Thats my point

summer as it was something to do,as i was recovering from open heart surgery. a $25 or $30 purchase kept me entertained

You ever see how well certified auto's of cards do? Even cards that are aquired through the mail do well. As long as they are PSA/DNA certified they do well

yes, and i have bought several cleve. indian auto as they are my favorite team. too bad soooo many people got burned in the 80's and 90's before psa/dna was around. the card hobby might be a little stronger today

Do any of you think that the FAD about The walking dead we are seeing with nuts pricing on Ebay is the same as the Nuts pricing of cards in the 90s ? When some one pays nuts prices for something that exists in the thousands it always ends bad ?

Dont you thnk Speculaters destroy hobbys ?

I do and as a stamp colector from the 60s I can tell you nothing hurts more than a colection you put thousands of hours into being worthless when you need the money in older age !

doh!

i am not sure if the walking dead fad is much different than the 86 fleer jordan,89 ud griffey,89 fleer ripkin error,92 shaq beam team,ect ect. thats why i always told card collectors to buy what they like,instead of buying what they felt they had to have (pricey fad cards). if you buy for enjoyment,the price guides were always secondary.

The 86 Fleer isnt a fad card. Neither is the 89 Griffey. Are their prices at or near All-time high? No. But fad cards they aint :sumo:

and thats why the card spec's left the hobby because some of those(not all) could not sustain those high price's. i recall 125.00 being paid a week after the 89 fleer for the billy ripkin card,when that 125.00 would be better spent on a vintage mantle,aaron,rose or ryan

Speaking of the 86 Fleer Jordan, what's the value of a 8.0. My dad gave me one when I graduated. Would not sell it, but curious

Since we are talking Jordan how about these?

Air-Jordan-110.jpg

The Ebay market has exploded for them ! The rule of 25 is in effect!

:headbang: +1

You don't have to do everything because of any sort of financial reward. How about the value of enjoyment?

:headbang: +1

You don't have to do everything because of any sort of financial reward. How about the value of enjoyment?

Mitch Mendey hates guys like that!