• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been said before. I watched the OP's video and my thoughts on this are that comic characters are more eternal.

There is only 1 spider-man, and he has been in comics for the last 50 years. The average athlete's career isn't more than 10 years.

Sports is a business of "what have you done for me lately." Players are VERY easily forgotten. Unless you have vintage rookies of legends expect the market to fall through very soon.

I was collecting a lot of Broncos and Spurs players autographed card and recently sold my entire collection on the bay because once those players retire or get traded the market for them will be gone.

I think the vintage comic market is much stronger, and the sports fad is much more comparable to the modern comic/ variant market.

Babe Ruth is eternal. Mickey Mantle is eternal, Sandy Koufax is eternal, Roberto Clemente is eternal. There are just as many immortals in baseball, probably more, as in comics.

I assure you, people have not forgotten about Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Honus Wagner, Eddie Collins, Christy Matthewson, etc.

Yes, cards do tend to take a hit after the shiny and new wear off. But what collectible in todays market doesnt?

The maxim is the same: Collect what you love, love what you collect, and if there is any money left in them then that is a bonus.

But how many baseball cards have sold over $10k vs comic books...lets say after 1950

52 Topps Mantle is worth big bucks.

Wayne Gretzky T206 Wagner sold for 2.8 million and has a checkered and interesting history. You can check prices on Heritage. A nice T206 Plank, T206 Cobb, Goudey Lajoie, Cracker Jack Joe Jackson or Goudey Ruth will set you back big bucks. Some of the older cards definitely give Action 1 and Detective 27 a run for their money. I prefer comics.

Collect cause you like it, collect cause it makes you happy. Any financial rewards are a bonus.

Opening packs of 89 Bowman makes no sense other than i guess it makes you happy. I dont see any financial reward ever coming of this :hi:

I DONT GIVE A CARP ABOUT FINANCIAL REWARD! It was the fun of opening a rack case. 3 rack boxes for about $30. I got several hours of enjoyment out of it. Well worth it to me.

And that is part of my point. Any financial reward is a bonus. I collect for enjoyment. I got away from that in comics and it kinda burned me out.

:headbang: +1

You don't have to do everything because of any sort of financial reward. How about the value of enjoyment?

Mitch Mendey hates guys like that!

doh! I'm just looking at how poorly I wrote that. No need to edit now. :sorry:

Sorry if this has been said before. I watched the OP's video and my thoughts on this are that comic characters are more eternal.

There is only 1 spider-man, and he has been in comics for the last 50 years. The average athlete's career isn't more than 10 years.

Sports is a business of "what have you done for me lately." Players are VERY easily forgotten. Unless you have vintage rookies of legends expect the market to fall through very soon.

I was collecting a lot of Broncos and Spurs players autographed card and recently sold my entire collection on the bay because once those players retire or get traded the market for them will be gone.

I think the vintage comic market is much stronger, and the sports fad is much more comparable to the modern comic/ variant market.

Babe Ruth is eternal. Mickey Mantle is eternal, Sandy Koufax is eternal, Roberto Clemente is eternal. There are just as many immortals in baseball, probably more, as in comics.

I assure you, people have not forgotten about Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Honus Wagner, Eddie Collins, Christy Matthewson, etc.

Yes, cards do tend to take a hit after the shiny and new wear off. But what collectible in todays market doesnt?

The maxim is the same: Collect what you love, love what you collect, and if there is any money left in them then that is a bonus.

But how many baseball cards have sold over $10k vs comic books...lets say after 1950

52 Topps Mantle is worth big bucks.

Wayne Gretzky T206 Wagner sold for 2.8 million and has a checkered and interesting history. You can check prices on Heritage. A nice T206 Plank, T206 Cobb, Goudey Lajoie, Cracker Jack Joe Jackson or Goudey Ruth will set you back big bucks. Some of the older cards definitely give Action 1 and Detective 27 a run for their money. I prefer comics.

Joe Dimaggio and Ted Williams go for big bucks, not to mention some MODERN Derek Jeters and Albert Pujols.

Collect cause you like it, collect cause it makes you happy. Any financial rewards are a bonus.

Opening packs of 89 Bowman makes no sense other than i guess it makes you happy. I dont see any financial reward ever coming of this :hi:

I DONT GIVE A CARP ABOUT FINANCIAL REWARD! It was the fun of opening a rack case. 3 rack boxes for about $30. I got several hours of enjoyment out of it. Well worth it to me.

And that is part of my point. Any financial reward is a bonus. I collect for enjoyment. I got away from that in comics and it kinda burned me out.

:headbang: +1

You don't have to do everything because of any sort of financial reward. How about the value of enjoyment?

Mitch Mendey hates guys like that!

doh! I'm just looking at how poorly I wrote that. No need to edit now. :sorry:

i was looking at the spirit of what you saying,rather than how you said it. i understood! :applause:

Big difference though is I could find some kid in the middle of any country in the world and chances are excellent that they have heard of Spider-man, Superman, Batman etc.

What kid in Pittsburgh has heard of Clemente? Or a kid in LA heard of Koufax? My son probably has no idea who many of these guys are. (Strangely enough, he did some report last year about Hank Greenberg. No idea where that came form.)

Go ask your average HS kid in anytown USA about Whitey Ford. Dollars to donuts says you will be lucky if some of them think he was the President at one time.

I love baseball. I know who all these guys are and I even appreciate the guys that I have never seen play but they all have a shelf life in the consciousness of the public. Most of them have passed the expiration date.

If I asked my son's (10 years old) class tomorrow who has heard of Iron Fist and who has heard of Sandy Koufax, I would be quite surprised if any of them have heard of Koufax. I would also say that more would have heard of a run of the mill B list Iron Fist.

Big difference though is I could find some kid in the middle of any country in the world and chances are excellent that they have heard of Spider-man, Superman, Batman etc.

What kid in Pittsburgh has heard of Clemente? Or a kid in LA heard of Koufax? My son probably has no idea who many of these guys are. (Strangely enough, he did some report last year about Hank Greenberg. No idea where that came form.)

Go ask your average HS kid in anytown USA about Whitey Ford. Dollars to donuts says you will be lucky if some of them think he was the President at one time.

I love baseball. I know who all these guys are and I even appreciate the guys that I have never seen play but they all have a shelf life in the consciousness of the public. Most of them have passed the expiration date.

If I asked my son's (10 years old) class tomorrow who has heard of Iron Fist and who has heard of Sandy Koufax, I would be quite surprised if any of them have heard of Koufax. I would also say that more would have heard of a run of the mill B list Iron Fist.

But if you ask any kid in Boston and they will know who David Oritz or Dustin Pedroia are, and the same can be said in New York with Derek Jeter!

Baseball has new stars every year,while comics have the same old Spidey,Batman, and Supes every year. ;)

I dunno. But I would say that there are cards that trade in that range.

But, sorry to be obtuse, the point of your post is?

My point is I agree with the OP that Collectors are striking out with baseball cards. They, compared to comic books.....S....U....C...K. Thats my point

Ah, the always popular "what i collect is awesome and what you collect su cks" argument. Always trotted out by the small minded and those who take someone else collecting something else as a personal affront. :applause:

Cards are not striking out. There are shows all over, about 4 this month just in my state of NC, shops that are still open (my local card shop does a booming business and you should see the nights they have pack wars and trade night, and they are geared to kids as well) and a thriving community on eBay. Oh, and there are about 5 major message boards as well that are always active.

But, lets not let facts stand in the way of a good argument doucher.

But if you ask any kid in Boston and they will know who David Oritz or Dustin Pedroia is and the same can be said in New York with Derek Jeter!

Baseball has new stars every year,while comics have the same old Spidey,Batman, and Supes every year. ;)

And that is who the kids are collecting! They are collecting players the same way we did when we were younger. Mike Schmidt, Dale Murphy, Andre Dawson etc.

And those kids will have read exactly how many Spidey/Supes/Bats comics?

Edit to add:

So, they hear about those character where? I would bet good money that it isnt because they have read comics.

But if you ask any kid in Boston and they will know who David Oritz or Dustin Pedroia is and the same can be said in New York with Derek Jeter!

And that is who the kids are collecting! They are collecting players the same way we did when we were younger. Mike Schmidt, Dale Murphy, Andre Dawson etc.

+1 Baseball is always getting new heroes,while comics rely on the same old big two reboots year after year.

+1 Baseball is always getting new heroes,while comics rely on the same old big two reboots year after year.

Yeppers. I agree. And now what Topps is doing is including a lot of the older players into their sets. Base cards of Mick, Babe, Lou Gehrig, Cy Young, Sandy etc. That will help expose the history of the game as well as get kids interested in the older cards, perhaps, as they age.

remind me of my grandson looking thru my old our army at war comics and asking ya got walking dead number 1? :D

Combined more kids will watch Jeter and Ortiz play Baseball next year, then read comics. :ohnoez:

My point is I agree with the OP that Collectors are striking out with baseball cards. They, compared to comic books.....S....U....C...K. Thats my point

Ah, the always popular "what i collect is awesome and what you collect su cks" argument. Always trotted out by the small minded and those who take someone else collecting something else as a personal affront. :applause:

Cards are not striking out. There are shows all over, about 4 this month just in my state of NC, shops that are still open (my local card shop does a booming business and you should see the nights they have pack wars and trade night, and they are geared to kids as well) and a thriving community on eBay. Oh, and there are about 5 major message boards as well that are always active.

I collect other things besides comics such as old toys, bikes, coins etc. I have dumped tons of money into sports cards, possibly more than comics and I certainly can speak from experience as well as point out facts. I do own a pallet of cards :cry:

Combined more kids will watch Jeter and Ortiz play Baseball next year, then read comics. lol

You got that right.

I donated a poop ton of trades and Masterworks to my middle school's library. Rarely, if ever, do I see kids reading them :(

I collect other things besides comics such as old toys, bikes, coins etc. I have dumped tons of money into sports cards, possibly more than comics and I certainly can speak from experience as well as point out facts. I do own a pallet of cards :cry:

Then why the need to tell someone that their hobby stinks and yours is better?

Combined more kids will watch Jeter and Ortiz play Baseball next year, then read comics. lol

Is this one of those Stanford studies?