• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

The only sports card I ever kept.My 1954 Mantle.

scan0011-1.jpg

If that card is legit and is in the shape the scan makes it out to be then get it graded. Stat

The card is very legit,but alas won't be graded,because it will never be sold. (thumbs u

see my story at the beginning of this thread.

And that is the card you say you have?

Yes why?

Several things dont smell right:

1-That looks like a card saver 2 size toploader

2-That card takes up roughly the same size as a post 56 card would, which would be the same size as modern cards

3-That card (i had about 40% of the set complete about 2 years ago) would either almost completely fill that sleeve or

4-would have to be in a card saver 1 in which there would be much more room

5-That set was not printed on white cardstock. It was light cream (for lack of a better term) and the boarders on that card are blindingly white

6-The centering on the card is near perfect. Not impossible but very tough to do on 54 Bowmans.

7-The declaration that card has been in that sleeve for 30 years. That would put you putting it in that exact Ultra Pro sleeve in 1982. Really? That sleeve? 30 years ago?

So, color me very skeptical.

Sorry I did take a pic from photobucket since I have no scanner,but I do have a 54 Mantle.

The only sports card I ever kept.My 1954 Mantle.

scan0011-1.jpg

If that card is legit and is in the shape the scan makes it out to be then get it graded. Stat

The card is very legit,but alas won't be graded,because it will never be sold. (thumbs u

see my story at the beginning of this thread.

And that is the card you say you have?

Yes why?

Several things dont smell right:

1-That looks like a card saver 2 size toploader

2-That card takes up roughly the same size as a post 56 card would, which would be the same size as modern cards

3-That card (i had about 40% of the set complete about 2 years ago) would either almost completely fill that sleeve or

4-would have to be in a card saver 1 in which there would be much more room

5-That set was not printed on white cardstock. It was light cream (for lack of a better term) and the boarders on that card are blindingly white

6-The centering on the card is near perfect. Not impossible but very tough to do on 54 Bowmans.

7-The declaration that card has been in that sleeve for 30 years. That would put you putting it in that exact Ultra Pro sleeve in 1982. Really? That sleeve? 30 years ago?

So, color me very skeptical.

Sorry I did take a pic from photobucket since I have no scanner,but I do have a 54 Mantle.

Like I thought. That card isnt yours.

We've seen vintage pics of comics on the stands, but has anyone seen one with baseball cards? Check out this old '52 Topps display at Woolworth's. If I could go back in time and snatch a few boxes.......

woolworth_display_52_topps.jpg

Anybody want to take a guess as to the most valuable card in that display is?

I'm guessing that this would be the first series since it's getting such a prominent display. That said, I'd say Andy Pafko, card #1 in Mint condition. I doubt the last series, which has the famous card #311, would get this much shelf space since the season would be winding down by then.

I'm guessing that this would be the first series since it's getting such a prominent display. That said, I'd say Andy Pafko, card #1 in Mint condition. I doubt the last series, which has the famous card #311, would get this much shelf space since the season would be winding down by then.

Good call, but nope. Of the sheets/photos (cant really tell which) the most valuable one is not the Spahn, 2nd from right on bottom row of left picture.

The most valuable one is the top left card, row 1, left display. That is the uber tough (assuming my eyes are seeing it right) Eddie Mathews rookie. It came out in the last series and is extremely desirable. Eddie wasnt a bad player either :wink:as until Schmidt came along in 1973 and Brett in 1975 he was, hands down, the best overall 3rd baseman ever.

Good call, but nope. Of the sheets/photos (cant really tell which) the most valuable one is not the Spahn, 2nd from right on bottom row of left picture.

The most valuable one is the top left card, row 1, left display. That is the uber tough (assuming my eyes are seeing it right) Eddie Mathews rookie. It came out in the last series and is extremely desirable. Eddie wasnt a bad player either :wink:as until Schmidt came along in 1973 and Brett in 1975 he was, hands down, the best overall 3rd baseman ever.

Except for Honus Wagner. :baiting:

Cannot believe that through 15 pages I have not seen anyone mention the effect of pokemon, magic, and yu-gi-oh cards on the baseball card market.

When I was about 8 I started collecting baseball cards but I stopped in the early 90's when I started collecting comics. I still collected cards - comic cards specifically. Had trading card games been more prolific in my area I might have started collecting (and playing) them.

I see tons of kids playing card games now, and I have friends whose kids search ebay constantly for better cards and are willing to pay ridiculous prices for them.

probably not as much. baseball has been on the decline as far as i can remember. kids these days have so many more comic-related cartoons and movies. i'd be worried about digital taking over print more than a complete lack of interest.

I'm sorry but I just don't see the movies and cartoons turning that many young kids into comic collectors in the future. I recently sent a PM to MutantKeys about this since he and I are both under 30 and at one time spent fair chunks of change on graded books. Sure there are younger people on this board that drop decent coin but they often disappear from these boards in little time and most likely the hobby as well. He and I are still on the boards but neither one of us really buy big books anymore. It's one thing for a lot of people on these boards to collect books now but he and I both agreed that it would be unwise for us to buy books at current levels and sit on them for 20 years as we would be under 50 and just don't see many of the segments of the hobby being nearly as strong.

I can easily see the same thing happening with a lot of comic OA. Especially with art from 1970's and foward. The collector base is there now because those are the kids who bought those comics off te rack now have the money. I just don't see collectors (and probably much fewer of them) lining up to drop five figures on a run of the mill Gil Kane Thor or Daredevil cover. We've already seen a dip inthe bronze age comic market due to oversaturation...and this is while back issue collector base is still strong.

scan0011-1.jpg

That card is a reprint from the late 80's/early 90's. The reprints were on glossy stock and snow white. I remember buying a few boxes of it.

89 bowman baseball,perhaps?

Thats what I thought first thing but then they had reprint on the front near the name box

scan0011-1.jpg

That card is a reprint from the late 80's/early 90's. The reprints were on glossy stock and snow white. I remember buying a few boxes of it.

89 bowman baseball,perhaps?

Thats what I thought first thing but then they had reprint on the front near the name box

After further review it looks like a 1996 Topps Commerative with the logo photoshopped out.