• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

What kills/killed baseball cards that won't/can't kill comic books is steriods and counterfeiting.

There is so much wrong with this statement it is hard to know where to start

Start with explaining what was the cause for rookie cards of McGwire, Clemmons, Canseco and Bonds to plummit hm Steriods. This type of market uncertainty is less likely to happen in comic books as Spider Man we can almost bet he wont be doing drugs or molesting children.

Jordan, Gretzky as well as many other cards have been notably counterfeited and up until the arrival of 3rd party grading collectors were bilked out of thousands. Dealers weighing packs is another issue. I cant say other than Goobledygook, there has been a serious attempt to knock off key or high dollar comic books.

Counterfeiting hurts any market it is present such as coins, diamonds, event tickets etc. Buyers are scared to make purchases. Autographs are almost impossible to sell without some sort of authentication and even with it, it is at best questionable.

Comics are safe of these elements that hurt other hobbies

What kills/killed baseball cards that won't/can't kill comic books is steriods and counterfeiting.

Start with explaining what was the cause for rookie cards of McGwire, Clemmons, Canseco and Bonds to plummit hm Steriods. This type of market uncertainty is less likely to happen in comic books as Spider Man we can almost bet he wont be doing drugs or molesting children.

Jordan, Gretzky as well as many other cards have been notably counterfeited and up until the arrival of 3rd party grading collectors were bilked out of thousands. Dealers weighing packs is another issue. I cant say other than Goobledygook, there has been a serious attempt to knock off key or high dollar comic books.

Counterfeiting hurts any market it is present such as coins, diamonds, event tickets etc. Buyers are scared to make purchases. Autographs are almost impossible to sell without some sort of authentication and even with it, it is at best questionable.

I seem to recall some guy named Ewert...

Steroids arent affecting Mickey Mantle, who i would imagine is akin to Spidey in comics. They arent affecting Babe Ruth Cards. Heck, even old stiffs like Whitey Ford or Sandy Koufax are still being traded actively.

Nor are they affecting other cards of players outside of the steroids era. Add into it that those cards were among the mass produced of mass produced cards and then you get into the real issue of it. And if you have any idea what you are talking about (which I am beginning to doubt) you know that those cards in the Mint grade still sell and are very actively traded.

Yes, comics dont have the counterfeit issues, so in that you are right. But it is also a red herring too. Comics have their own issues just like any other hobby, trimming, color touch, etc.

And way to stay classy with the child molestatation comment. When was that ever part of the discussion?

And it was 89 Bowman. It was the year they reintroduced the brand. The cards were even oversized which caused some headaches.

I just busted 2 rack boxes of that recently.

did you collate a set? i cant recall how the collation was when i busted a box or 2 lo those many yrs ago. seems like i was close to a set with 1 box

Ewert wasnt a counterfeiter :makepoint:

And it was 89 Bowman. It was the year they reintroduced the brand. The cards were even oversized which caused some headaches.

I just busted 2 rack boxes of that recently.

did you collate a set? i cant recall how the collation was when i busted a box or 2 lo those many yrs ago. seems like i was close to a set with 1 box

I really busted the boxes looking for a Mike Schmidt that I could submit for my registry set. Alas the best one I got had a chance at a SGC 96 but had a small stain on the back.

The Griffey rc I pulled about 3 out of the 2 boxes. And the rack boxes equal about 4 wax boxes.

But just because counterfitting isnt an issue in one hobby doesnt mean the other hobbies dont have their own issues. You were trying to say that since comics doesnt have the problems cards do, then comics dont have problems.

All I know is I stopped collecting sports cards (mainly baseball) in the mid-90s when I couldn't keep up with all the different companies and sets coming out. In the years previous, I would love collecting the rookie cards from each of the 3-5 companies when there was only one main set to each company each year. Thus, only 3-ish different cards for a particular rookie, with one tending to be the most desired (think Griffey Jr's 89 Upper Deck, with the Fleer a distant second). Once all the different special limited sets began coming out, and "rookie" cards began getting blurred as to what constituted a true rookie card, and then special highly limited pull cards being inserted 1 or 2 per box, causing pack prices to be outrageous just for the chance to pull one of those limited cards....well, spoon that, I took my money elsewhere and landed it back into comics full-time and never looked back.

For that matter, here's some '53 Topps on the candy shelf.

1953_topps_display.jpg

where's the scoop and look n see wax box's at? (worship) nice pic's

53s might be the most beautiful set ever.

The Mantle and Ford stick out in my mind. I had a 53 Mathews in SGC86/ 7 that was smooth too :cloud9:

i owned a card shop from 1990 till 1995 and sold out because i seen the future of sport cards was very dim,not because of counterfeits or trickery,more because the product coming out was turning off the folks trying to keep up with all the diff. issues coming out. of course everyone wanted the premium product and i had to maintain orders of regular product to have a shot at the topps finest,upper deck sp,et al. a cash flow killer in a small town. and that was what was going on in my area. i collected comics,tho so i didnt kill my profit by keeping cards!

For that matter, here's some '53 Topps on the candy shelf.

1953_topps_display.jpg

where's the scoop and look n see wax box's at? (worship) nice pic's

53s might be the most beautiful set ever.

The Mantle and Ford stick out in my mind. I had a 53 Mathews in SGC86/ 7 that was smooth too :cloud9:

i was always partial to the 1967 baseball set. remember buying rack packs and not understanding why i only got #'s 133-264!

But just because counterfitting isnt an issue in one hobby doesnt mean the other hobbies dont have their own issues. You were trying to say that since comics doesnt have the problems cards do, then comics dont have problems.

I wasnt "trying" to say anything. I "was" saying that a sports figure's stock can decline based on what they do on or off the field. ie Doug Gilmore's sexual relations of a 14 yr old or Kevin Stevens getting caught with a crack pipe and a hooker in a hotel, and did I mention steriods. This element dosent exist in the hobby of comic books. For the record I did not say that there are no problems that exist in the comic book hobby. That would be you putting words in my mouth (tsk)

Do any of you think that the FAD about The walking dead we are seeing with nuts pricing on Ebay is the same as the Nuts pricing of cards in the 90s ? When some one pays nuts prices for something that exists in the thousands it always ends bad ?

Dont you thnk Speculaters destroy hobbys ?

I do and as a stamp colector from the 60s I can tell you nothing hurts more than a colection you put thousands of hours into being worthless when you need the money in older age !

doh!

Do any of you think that the FAD about The walking dead we are seeing with nuts pricing on Ebay is the same as the Nuts pricing of cards in the 90s ? When some one pays nuts prices for something that exists in the thousands it always ends bad ?

Dont you thnk Speculaters destroy hobbys ?

I do and as a stamp colector from the 60s I can tell you nothing hurts more than a colection you put thousands of hours into being worthless when you need the money in older age !

doh!

i am not sure if the walking dead fad is much different than the 86 fleer jordan,89 ud griffey,89 fleer ripkin error,92 shaq beam team,ect ect. thats why i always told card collectors to buy what they like,instead of buying what they felt they had to have (pricey fad cards). if you buy for enjoyment,the price guides were always secondary.

I wasnt "trying" to say anything. I "was" saying that a sports figure's stock can decline based on what they do on or off the field. ie Doug Gilmore's sexual relations of a 14 yr old or Kevin Stevens getting caught with a crack pipe and a hooker in a hotel, and did I mention steriods. This element dosent exist in the hobby of comic books. For the record I did not say that there are no problems that exist in the comic book hobby. That would be you putting words in my mouth (tsk)

I heard Kid Colt was gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact, I think it helped sales.

Same deal with GL being a junkie and Iron Man a sot.