• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

What kills/killed baseball cards that won't/can't kill comic books is steriods and counterfeiting.

There is so much wrong with this statement it is hard to know where to start

Start with explaining what was the cause for rookie cards of McGwire, Clemmons, Canseco and Bonds to plummit hm Steriods. This type of market uncertainty is less likely to happen in comic books as Spider Man we can almost bet he wont be doing drugs or molesting children.

Jordan, Gretzky as well as many other cards have been notably counterfeited and up until the arrival of 3rd party grading collectors were bilked out of thousands. Dealers weighing packs is another issue. I cant say other than Goobledygook, there has been a serious attempt to knock off key or high dollar comic books.

Counterfeiting hurts any market it is present such as coins, diamonds, event tickets etc. Buyers are scared to make purchases. Autographs are almost impossible to sell without some sort of authentication and even with it, it is at best questionable.

Comics are safe of these elements that hurt other hobbies

I seem to recall some guy named Ewert...

Ewert wasnt a counterfeiter :makepoint:

But just because counterfitting isnt an issue in one hobby doesnt mean the other hobbies dont have their own issues. You were trying to say that since comics doesnt have the problems cards do, then comics dont have problems.

I wasnt "trying" to say anything. I "was" saying that a sports figure's stock can decline based on what they do on or off the field. ie Doug Gilmore's sexual relations of a 14 yr old or Kevin Stevens getting caught with a crack pipe and a hooker in a hotel, and did I mention steriods. This element dosent exist in the hobby of comic books. For the record I did not say that there are no problems that exist in the comic book hobby. That would be you putting words in my mouth (tsk)

And those two people would be who exactly? Ask 100 sports fans who they are and 95 of them would have any clue.

Take the biggest embarrassment in baseball since the Black Sox scandal, Pete Rose, and see how popular his cards are. The two examples arent good comparisons to the ball card hobby.

For the record I did not say that there are no problems that exist in the comic book hobby. That would be you putting words in my mouth

No, but you sure did allude to it. I just fleshed out the argument you were making by saying the things your were alluding to.

Now, back to why McGwire, Clemens, Canseco, Bonds, etc cards didnt hold the huge value they did at one time. In baseball cards, as in comics (remember how War comics got hot and then cooled? take other examples at your leisure) prices fluctuate. In baseball cards it is very driven by what the player either a-is doing at that moment ala Sosa and McGwire in 1998 with the homerun chase, b-what they might do, a la Stephen Strausburg, or c-what they willl never do again, play, ie retire.

Hot cards in example A come back down Prospects in example B get to prove what they can do not just how hyped they are and the market run up, and then you get to example C where the cards settle into a long term equilibrium where the prices stay stable and are generally below the A and B examples.

Do any of you think that the FAD about The walking dead we are seeing with nuts pricing on Ebay is the same as the Nuts pricing of cards in the 90s ? When some one pays nuts prices for something that exists in the thousands it always ends bad ?

Dont you thnk Speculaters destroy hobbys ?

I do and as a stamp colector from the 60s I can tell you nothing hurts more than a colection you put thousands of hours into being worthless when you need the money in older age !

doh!

i am not sure if the walking dead fad is much different than the 86 fleer jordan,89 ud griffey,89 fleer ripkin error,92 shaq beam team,ect ect. thats why i always told card collectors to buy what they like,instead of buying what they felt they had to have (pricey fad cards). if you buy for enjoyment,the price guides were always secondary.

The 86 Fleer isnt a fad card. Neither is the 89 Griffey. Are their prices at or near All-time high? No. But fad cards they aint :sumo:

Do any of you think that the FAD about The walking dead we are seeing with nuts pricing on Ebay is the same as the Nuts pricing of cards in the 90s ? When some one pays nuts prices for something that exists in the thousands it always ends bad ?

I do and as a stamp colector from the 60s I can tell you nothing hurts more than a colection you put thousands of hours into being worthless when you need the money in older age !

doh!

i am not sure if the walking dead fad is much different than the 86 fleer jordan,89 ud griffey,89 fleer ripkin error,92 shaq beam team,ect ect. thats why i always told card collectors to buy what they like,instead of buying what they felt they had to have (pricey fad cards). if you buy for enjoyment,the price guides were always secondary.

:applause:

doh!

The 86 Fleer isnt a fad card. Neither is the 89 Griffey. Are their prices at or near All-time high? No. But fad cards they aint :sumo:

perhaps not fad's per se,but people had to have beckett tell them what to buy. and the griffey was a good buy at 8.00 in 89,not so much at 50.00 plus as plentiful as those were

I understand and agree with you.

But Beckett didnt have to tell people that a Jordan RC was solid. Nor with the Griffey. Although the price of Griffeys have obviously leveled out. A PSA 9 is around a $50 or so card iirc

doh!

and thats why the card spec's left the hobby because some of those(not all) could not sustain those high price's. i recall 125.00 being paid a week after the 89 fleer for the billy ripkin card,when that 125.00 would be better spent on a vintage mantle,aaron,rose or ryan

quote]

And those two people would be who exactly? Ask 100 sports fans who they are and 95 of them would have any clue.

Take the biggest embarrassment in baseball since the Black Sox scandal, Pete Rose, and see how popular his cards are. The two examples arent good comparisons to the ball card hobby.

Change them for MIchael Vick and OJ Simpson. What they did or allegedly did off the feild certainly impacted their cardboard.For the record Kevin Stevens has his name on Lord Stanley's Cup 2 times

doh!

and thats why the card spec's left the hobby because some of those(not all) could not sustain those high price's. i recall 125.00 being paid a week after the 89 fleer for the billy ripkin card,when that 125.00 would be better spent on a vintage mantle,aaron,rose or ryan

Completely agree. But that is the problem that all hobbies face when speculators come in and drive up prices. There is a bust and people get left holding the bag. Happened in comics, happened in cards, etc etc.

Collect cause you like it, collect cause it makes you happy. Any financial rewards are a bonus.

But Beckett didnt have to tell people that a Jordan RC was solid. Nor with the Griffey. Although the price of Griffeys have obviously leveled out. A PSA 9 is around a $50 or so card iirc

well my recall might be fuzzy,old age lol but the jordan didnt jump untill late 88 early 89 when the 1st basketball beckett made the basketball card legit in alot of folk's minds. thats the fad i was refering too in the jordan case.at a cleveland show in sept 1987 i could have bought a 12 box case of 86 fleer bsk. for 50 bucks. of course they were the x-outs(returns from retail outlet's) course i blew it there

The only sports card I ever kept.My 1954 Mantle.

scan0011-1.jpg

If that card is legit and is in the shape the scan makes it out to be then get it graded. Stat

The card is very legit,but alas won't be graded,because it will never be sold. (thumbs u

see my story at the beginning of this thread.

And that is the card you say you have?

Yes why?

Several things dont smell right:

1-That looks like a card saver 2 size toploader

2-That card takes up roughly the same size as a post 56 card would, which would be the same size as modern cards

3-That card (i had about 40% of the set complete about 2 years ago) would either almost completely fill that sleeve or

4-would have to be in a card saver 1 in which there would be much more room

5-That set was not printed on white cardstock. It was light cream (for lack of a better term) and the boarders on that card are blindingly white

6-The centering on the card is near perfect. Not impossible but very tough to do on 54 Bowmans.

7-The declaration that card has been in that sleeve for 30 years. That would put you putting it in that exact Ultra Pro sleeve in 1982. Really? That sleeve? 30 years ago?

So, color me very skeptical.

Sorry I did take a pic from photobucket since I have no scanner,but I do have a 54 Mantle.

Like I thought. That card isnt yours.

Poor oakman got owned. :facepalm:

quote]

Change them for MIchael Vick and OJ Simpson. What they did or allegedly did off the feild certainly impacted their cardboard.For the record Kevin Stevens has his name on Lord Stanley's Cup 2 times

Well, if its a hockey reference then people below the Mason-Dixon line would be even harder pressed to know who Kevin Stevens is.

We've seen vintage pics of comics on the stands, but has anyone seen one with baseball cards? Check out this old '52 Topps display at Woolworth's. If I could go back in time and snatch a few boxes.......

woolworth_display_52_topps.jpg

Would love to take a quick trip back in time. :luhv:

well my recall might be fuzzy,old age lol but the jordan didnt jump untill late 88 early 89 when the 1st basketball beckett made the basketball card legit in alot of folk's minds. thats the fad i was refering too in the jordan case.at a cleveland show in sept 1987 i could have bought a 12 box case of 86 fleer bsk. for 50 bucks. of course they were the x-outs(returns from retail outlet's) course i blew it there

:eek:

Yeah, those are $12,500 each boxes. Cant remember hearing of what a case would go for.

The packs are $350 each.

doh!

Speaking of the 86 Fleer Jordan, what's the value of a 8.0. My dad gave me one when I graduated. Would not sell it, but curious

scan0011-1.jpg

If that card is legit and is in the shape the scan makes it out to be then get it graded. Stat

The card is very legit,but alas won't be graded,because it will never be sold. (thumbs u

Yes why?

2-That card takes up roughly the same size as a post 56 card would, which would be the same size as modern cards

3-That card (i had about 40% of the set complete about 2 years ago) would either almost completely fill that sleeve or

5-That set was not printed on white cardstock. It was light cream (for lack of a better term) and the boarders on that card are blindingly white

6-The centering on the card is near perfect. Not impossible but very tough to do on 54 Bowmans.

7-The declaration that card has been in that sleeve for 30 years. That would put you putting it in that exact Ultra Pro sleeve in 1982. Really? That sleeve? 30 years ago?

Sorry I did take a pic from photobucket since I have no scanner,but I do have a 54 Mantle.

:acclaim:

Sorry if this has been said before. I watched the OP's video and my thoughts on this are that comic characters are more eternal.

There is only 1 spider-man, and he has been in comics for the last 50 years. The average athlete's career isn't more than 10 years.

Sports is a business of "what have you done for me lately." Players are VERY easily forgotten. Unless you have vintage rookies of legends expect the market to fall through very soon.

I was collecting a lot of Broncos and Spurs players autographed card and recently sold my entire collection on the bay because once those players retire or get traded the market for them will be gone.

I think the vintage comic market is much stronger, and the sports fad is much more comparable to the modern comic/ variant market.

doh!

Speaking of the 86 Fleer Jordan, what's the value of a 8.0. My dad gave me one when I graduated. Would not sell it, but curious

Ill check and see. :thumbsup:

Sorry if this has been said before. I watched the OP's video and my thoughts on this are that comic characters are more eternal.

There is only 1 spider-man, and he has been in comics for the last 50 years. The average athlete's career isn't more than 10 years.

Sports is a business of "what have you done for me lately." Players are VERY easily forgotten. Unless you have vintage rookies of legends expect the market to fall through very soon.

I was collecting a lot of Broncos and Spurs players autographed card and recently sold my entire collection on the bay because once those players retire or get traded the market for them will be gone.

I think the vintage comic market is much stronger, and the sports fad is much more comparable to the modern comic/ variant market.

Babe Ruth is eternal. Mickey Mantle is eternal, Sandy Koufax is eternal, Roberto Clemente is eternal. There are just as many immortals in baseball, probably more, as in comics.

I assure you, people have not forgotten about Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Honus Wagner, Eddie Collins, Christy Matthewson, etc.

Yes, cards do tend to take a hit after the shiny and new wear off. But what collectible in todays market doesnt?

The maxim is the same: Collect what you love, love what you collect, and if there is any money left in them then that is a bonus.

scan0011-1.jpg

Yes why?

The pic from photobucket is in your account to. For what its worth