• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

Did they show Mr. mint...
:sick: That guy... The Chuck of the baseball card world. Almost to a T.

:o You got that right. I met that blowhard in 89 or 90 at a huge con at the Moscone Center. Actually, he had more sense than Chuck, but that's not saying much.

probably not as much. baseball has been on the decline as far as i can remember. kids these days have so many more comic-related cartoons and movies. i'd be worried about digital taking over print more than a complete lack of interest.

I would see this as an opportunity. The greater the increase in digital focus from consumers - the more printed stock will become desirable for collectors. I think digital actually opens the market and brings new content consumers to comics.

The more consumers there are, the more collectors there will be. But if digital releases start to slow actual print runs, then it increases the rarity of printed stock.

If you're in it for coin (which i am not), then that could only be a good thing couldn't it?

Of course, I don't know what I don't know. So there might be something I haven't thought of there that may render all that null and void.

The scary part of that video was, it said that the baseball card market has priced out the kids and only for adults now. Prophetic?

Not sure about "prophetic" as it's sort of exactly how it is already though... I mean, the kids can purchase a floppy for retail and start building their collections with pocket money.

Us big kids purchase slabs all the colours of the rainbow... and raw retail floppies. But junior's can't afford a yellow label slab. Or if they can, they're doing better than I did as a little one by a long shot. But if they can afford floppies at retail, and they love comics enough to stick with collecting, (or like so many of us, come back to comics later in life after a brief hiatus chasing tail), then they'll go for the bigger ticket items later in life.

How prevalent in your neck of the woods was the game where players flung their cards up against a brick wall and the player whose card landed on top of one of the others won all the cards? Not the greatest thing for corners of course....

???

How prevalent in your neck of the woods was the game where players flung their cards up against a brick wall and the player whose card landed on top of one of the others won all the cards? Not the greatest thing for corners of course....

???

Not something I partook in, but my brothers did a bit of this, along with cards in the bikespokes stuff, etc.

I think comic books have a stronger appeal as they have stories connected to them. DEADPOOL comics, on the other, are due for a huge bubble burst.

The guy in the documentary said they printed 81 billion cards in a single year. I think that's how many titles Deadpool has right now.

???

We did this a lot, also a version where we rolled dice instead to keep the cards "mint". I remember the day a stack got full and I lost my Elway rookie. Never gambled for cards after that.

So a 1909 Honus Wagner card PSA graded only 5(MC) just traded for $2,105,770.50. And collectors of baseball cards are striking out? No, only the fool johnny-come-lately speculators that surged lemming like into newly issued baseball cards in the early nineties have struck out. And it looks good on them.

;)

One card does not a hobby make...

Agreed.

I was in full force in the hockey/baseball card world for 10 years. I worked at a sportscard store that dealt heavily online and at trade shows.

Although I always loved comics I could never afford the stuff I truly liked until a few years ago.

Long story short, I collected cards for 10 years, then the last few years I stopped cards and focused solely on comics.

Cards as a whole are NOTHING compared to comics. Nadda. Not even in the same ballpark (excuse the pun).

Agreed.

I was in full force in the hockey/baseball card world for 10 years. I worked at a sportscard store that dealt heavily online and at trade shows.

Although I always loved comics I could never afford the stuff I truly liked until a few years ago.

Long story short, I collected cards for 10 years, then the last few years I stopped cards and focused solely on comics.

Cards as a whole are NOTHING compared to comics. Nadda. Not even in the same ballpark (excuse the pun).

I totally agree, just sent cards in to PSA just to see if i could make some money from all the Hall of Famers i have, waste of money.

Thought the Honus would go for 2 mil plus...

As for your Hall of Famers waste of $ at PSA, it's not PSA's fault you didn't make $ on them. Did you waste your time sending in VG-EX but expecting NM-MT results?

That would be akin to expecting a VG+ ASM 39 to get a price result as if it were a 9.6 or 9.8. Gotta learn to grade.

Agreed. But you're missing my point.

My point is that the market for vintage cards never disappeared. The only "market" that collapsed was for cards from the late eighties onward. But that "market" was just a shell game. It was all just a pyramid scam by dealers to lure naive buyers into hoarding product that they could order in unlimited quantity. There was never really a market for these latter day cards, so to talk of this "market" collapsing is an oxymoron.

:preach:

Agreed. But you're missing my point.

My point is that the market for vintage cards never disappeared. The only "market" that collapsed was for cards from the late eighties onward. But that "market" was just a shell game. It was all just a pyramid scam by dealers to lure naive buyers into hoarding product that they could order in unlimited quantity. There was never really a market for these latter day cards, so to talk of this "market" collapsing is an oxymoron.

:preach:

Now why does this sound familiar? I know I've heard it before, but just can't place it. Some other hobby, perhaps? hm