• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz?

166 posts in this topic

Meanwhile... obviously there's 15 days left in the auction, but some current bids that caught my eye this morning...

Superman check - $38k

Captain America Comics #77 Romita OA panel page - $12k

(feels like pretty strong money even for Romita with so much of the OA action being in Marvel SA these days)

Action #1 4.5 - $187k

Detective #27 6.5 - $256k

Detective #27 3.0 - $124k

Meanwhile... obviously there's 15 days left in the auction, but some current bids that caught my eye this morning...

Superman check - $38k

Captain America Comics #77 Romita OA panel page - $12k

(feels like pretty strong money even for Romita with so much of the OA action being in Marvel SA these days)

Action #1 4.5 - $187k

Detective #27 6.5 - $256k

Detective #27 3.0 - $124k

Yup--a crappy auction indeed. Best save my comic money for when better books come around...

I can't decide if Mitch is pimping his own books coming up later or trying to depress the market so he can get good buys on CC.

I don't assume that there's anything intelligent happening there at all.

lol

Instead of taking vacations, or buying cars, I buy comics I enjoy. If they turn out to be good investments, that's a bonus. If they don't, then it is the same as taking a vacation, except for me the personal ROI is much higher than a trip to Cancun.

I used to like going to Cancun but no more. The last time, I found out one of the mayan ruins had been slightly repaired, so I demanded 95% of my money back.

For the 3d or 4th time there are some good books in this auction it's just that they are few and far between.

However I do believe that superman check is the most overpriced and overhyped collectAbles in the history of comicbook collecting. I can see 500 bucks or even 2500 but there is no value in this item and how are you gonna hose to display it the front or the back what a waste

For the 3d or 4th time there are some good books in this auction it's just that they are few and far between.

However I do believe that superman check is the most overpriced and overhyped collectAbles in the history of comicbook collecting. I can see 500 bucks or even 2500 but there is no value in this item and how are you gonna hose to display it the front or the back what a waste

If you don't want it, then don't bid and STFU about it.

Many people here think it's odd that people value high grade esoteric books at amounts equal to or even greater than famous and significant books. It seems comparable to saying that a high grade meaningless piece of forgotten literature should be worth more than a lesser grade copy of a world-renowned first edition. (or, for that matter, a book that appears the same or even better to the average person but simply didn't get a third party label which reflects that).

And many people scratch their heads when they see people paying six figures for such items.

But most of them don't make it their mothereffing mission in life to prevent other people from buying them.

And btw if you, of all people, are trying to be all schoolmarmy about the spelling of Collectibles, it IS spelled with an "i" although it's (which means "it has"), become accepted with an "A" as well, only because people mispelled it so much. But that doesn't mean it's unacceptable with an "i.".

And finally your byzantine logic roars up once again when you complain that the check couldn't be displayed so you could see both sides. I won't even point ot the irony of that remark, because if you can't see it without explanation you won't, no matter what.

I actually like this auction because I can afford to buy these books. My most expensive GA book is only 6k so this is a actually a good auction FOR ME. When the "really good stuff" comes along I can't afford it anyways....

(I don't really buy to invest or re-sale though I just like comics and collecting them)

I can't decide if Mitch is pimping his own books coming up later or trying to depress the market so he can get good buys on CC.

I don't assume that there's anything intelligent happening there at all.

lol

Mitch, it isn't something that you or I might collect, but the check's historic value is obvious. As for display, an enterprising collector would probably buy or build a case that provides observation of both front and back using mirror or prism optics.

Mitch, it isn't something that you or I might collect, but the check's historic value is obvious. As for display, an enterprising collector would probably buy or build a case that provides observation of both front and back using mirror or prism optics.

Or those nifty custom frames that have a hinged window that you can open to see the back of the document.

That check is a far more significant collectible in the world of comics than 99% of the comic books printed. Particularly in light of the subsequent decades of litigation from Siegel, Shuster & their heirs.

It's a museum piece and I believe literally worthy of being placed in the Smithsonian's National Archives for its place in pop culture history. Only recent comparables I can think of are the "Pay" copy of Marvel Comics # 1 and the "court" copy of Action # 1.

Yes--those latter two happen to be comic books, but just because something is not CGC slabbed with a plethora of exchange-traded sales info readily available via GPA does not make it less of a collectible.

For one who once opined about certain golden age books (like the "NY World's Fair with the blonde Superman") taking off once museums got into the game, I'm astounded that you don't recognize the far greater collectible and historical value of this piece.

Or, maybe you're trolling just for the hell of it.

Guess it could be worse, though. It could be a Frank Miller Dark Knight splash...

That check is a far more significant collectible in the world of comics than 99% of the comic books printed. Particularly in light of the subsequent decades of litigation from Siegel, Shuster & their heirs

I can't think of many more historically important comic-related artifacts to have surfaced for public sale, outside of perhaps a handful of original art pieces. It's one of those rare things that astonishes me to just see the scan.

Its appeal as a collectible or a display item is irrelevant.

I would think that the check would be priceless to the fortunate winner of the highest graded Action Comics #1. Having both items in one collection would be pretty darn sensational, or dare I say, SUPER!

I am pretty confident that the owners of Action #1 in CGC 8.0, 8.5 or 9.0 would love to have this check along-side the ultimate grail book.

Wonder if there ARE any non-comic comic book related collectibles (per my spell check) that MM would consider worthy of the price that "The check that bought the rights to Superman" is likely to fetch?

In comparison to the Baseball Memorabilia world this would be the equivalent of say Mantles rookie contract (his contract from the '61 season went for over $100k, his first minor league contract went for $26k) ... its not likely to reach the heights of Babe Ruth's trade contract (just under $1m) but between those sales, and the recent Apple/Jobs/Woz Contract that sold for $1.6 million recently there certainly is a market for memorable contracts, especially those associated with big names/brands like Apple, Babe Ruth, or say... Superman...

Folks you bought into the hype...shame on you. So you think the biggest ripoff of creator rights is worth 38 k because segal/shyster were . I do not know who is stupider the winner of this check or the payee's

Folks you bought into the hype...shame on you. So you think the biggest ripoff of creator rights is worth 38 k because segal/shyster were . I do not know who is stupider the winner of this check or the payee's

Mitch, since you're all about the Benjamins, is there a cash settlement you would take to stop posting on these boards? I'm sure collectively we could come up with a sum to make it happen.

Value is completely relative, but there is no doubt that the check in question has historical significance.

It probably belongs in a museum more than an individual collection. It would be quite the learning opportunity in a pop culture exhibit at the Smithsonian. There are a lot of stories wrapped around that one piece of paper.