• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz?

166 posts in this topic

The one defect on I phone is the keys are too small, sorry for the typos, but working and typing you know.

You are acting like this check is holly grail! This check is a subject of lawsuits and ripoffs from S/S....this something to be proud of ......Dc ripping off S/S is something to pay 38K for??

Really you are acting like.....are you ready...... a bunch of COLLECTOR VULTURES on this item. Let me for a second, divert....I was going to whole foods and this lady was waiting for a spot to clear holding up traffic, A guy yelled out his window " Parking VULTURE" as we waited.

Folks, to make money off somebody's mistake, be it one biggest in the history of business decisions in the comic book universe is simply not right.

Mr. Bedrock it appears if you are willing to pay $38,000.00 for a copy of a check...you are growing wings my man.....

Mitch,

Somehow you manage to take stupidity to a whole new level on a daily bases. I have to wonder if you are on some special training program to be able to achieve what no one before you has been able to do. So are you saying if I buy a comic cheap and then sell it for more, I shouldn't do it because I am taking advantage from someones mistake? Apply that same logic to everything. doh!

First it's not the "mistake" that makes it valuable and historic, it's the fact that this was the beginning of a not just a character, and not just a multi-billion dollar industry but the beginning of an entire genre, one that dominates many forms of entertainment today.

And it can easily be argued that it wasn't a mistake at all, because, as Siegel himself said, this was their way to get it published. It was not just the right idea but the right time and place. It could easily be argued (and would by time-warner) that the real mistake was in not being happy with things the way they had it, since they were doing well. Again, not a point to be settled here, but one that makes it more interesting, whether or not it was a "mistake."

Beyond that, your logic is so myopic is sometimes borders on the incredible. You love the comics you remember collecting and you love the way it used to be possbile, once upon a time, to find original owner collections. You love the memory and the feelings you had when you'd find such a collection. And the Billy Wright collection reminds you of that. Also, you remember when copies were easier to find and, because you collected all kinds of titles, you evolved a personal preference for high grade copies of obscure titles over even the first appearance of world-famous characters. That's your preference. But when you go on and on that the likes of a Red Raven comic is a steal at anything below mid six-figures while a piece of memorabilia that is known of and recognized by literally billions of people is worth no more than a few hundred bucks, you are showing near zero ability to think like other people, or to have any respect for their different opinions and preferences.

Mr. Bedrock it appears if you are willing to pay $38,000.00 for a copy of a check...you are growing wings my man.....

A whole lot of people said that about you when you bought that silly Action 1 and gave yourself the even sillier name "King of Comics". What happened to you Mitch? Where did the joy go? When did you become such a judgmental old fart? Did you misplace the crown? I suggest you go sniff the pages of your Action 1 and get some of the love back.

Everybody on this board woulld not pay 38k for this old cashed check and that includes you bedrock. Wait till the insufficiently_thoughtful_person trys resell it.....as Charlie would say......LOSER

Mitch, so does that mean you've never owned a copy of a Siegel and Shuster cheque, then?

If you look at the bidding on the check in question, here is likely what you might see:

$1,000: mmehdy

$3,000: pennynike1 (might as well throw in a made up/fantasy thrillbid)

$4,000: mmehdy

$5,000: MrBedrock

$6,000: mmehdy

$7,000: MrBedrock

$8,000: mmehdy

$9,000: MrBedrock

$37.000: Smithsonian Museum

$38,000: mmehdy

I *gulp* actually agree with Mitch on this one. (I feel so ashamed).

The check did nothing but transfer the rights from S&S to National. It really doesn't have a whole lot of historic significance. Superman was well established at this point. It's not far off from having a copy of the contract from when Warner Bros acquired DC.

A whole lot of people said that about you when you bought that silly Action 1 and gave yourself the even sillier name "King of Comics". What happened to you Mitch? Where did the joy go? When did you become such a judgmental old fart? Did you misplace the crown? I suggest you go sniff the pages of your Action 1 and get some of the love back.

i resent the hell out of this post. because I am a judgmental old fart, and i'm pissed to be associated with him.

The check did nothing but transfer the rights from S&S to National. It really doesn't have a whole lot of historic significance. Superman was well established at this point. It's not far off from having a copy of the contract from when Warner Bros acquired DC.

While I respect your's and Mitch's POV, I think you are both dead wrong on this, and keep in mind that I'm not a DC or Superman collector.

The significance of the check is in the history it supports. If there were no check there may not have been Superman, at least in a published form recognizable to comic collectors and the world today!

The check is the establishing connection that provides a foundation for the entire comic book history. Before DC issued this check and S&S decided to accept it there had been several failed attempts to sell the idea to a newspaper syndicate; it wasn't like the competition would've paid more or even given a second thought to publishing the character.

Afterwards it could be argued that DC didn't treat Superman's creators well, but it is doubtful that any publisher would have paid more in 1938 for an unproven character given the number of rejections Superman had received. In fact, it's an amazing testament to luck and the historical significance of this one insignificant check that Superman exists today!

While I respect your's and Mitch's POV, I think you are both dead wrong on this, and keep in mind that I'm not a DC or Superman collector.

The significance of the check is in the history it supports. If there were no check there may not have been Superman, at least in a published form recognizable to comic collectors and the world today!

The check is the establishing connection that provides a foundation for the entire comic book history. Before DC issued this check and S&S decided to accept it there had been several failed attempts to sell the idea to a newspaper syndicate; it wasn't like the competition would've paid more or even given a second thought to publishing the character.

Afterwards it could be argued that DC didn't treat Superman's creators well, but it is doubtful that any publisher would have paid more in 1938 for an unproven character given the number of rejections Superman had received. In fact, it's an amazing testament to luck and the historical significance of this one insignificant check that Superman exists today!

Whoops, it's been a while since I looked at the check. I had it in my mind that it was from a later date after Superman had been on the stands for several years.

THANK GOD I don't agree with Mitch. I was really in a conundrum there!

I'd like to ask everyone to please forget that I agreed with him and sincerely ask for forgiveness. That's a load off!

This auction has some impressive Mile High books.

The Mile High copies of Master Comics 22, 23, and 28.

The Mile High copies of a few Phantom Lady issues.

The entire Mile High Thrilling run.

I think there are going to be strong prices for some of these books.

.....as Charlie would say......LOSER

This explains so much. It's like trying to have a reasonable conversation with Charlie Sheen.

WINNING!

I think a very important point is being lost in the back and forth here. There was a solicitation earlier in this thread for Mitch to post an amount he would accept to quit posting altogether. Have we got a number yet? I have donors lined up.

If not a lifetime self-ban, how about a $$ amount on a year by year basis. It could be an annuity during his golden years.

I think a very important point is being lost in the back and forth here. There was a solicitation earlier in this thread for Mitch to post an amount he would accept to quit posting altogether. Have we got a number yet? I have donors lined up.

If not a lifetime self-ban, how about a $$ amount on a year by year basis. It could be an annuity during his golden years.

hm Why is it that I'm left with the impression that you are a Congressional lobbyist!? :baiting:

hm Why is it that I'm left with the impression that you are a Congressional lobbyist!? :baiting:

I think this is a movement the American people can support.

I think this is a movement the American people can support.

I prefer hope and change to movements; if I need a movement that bad I'll take a laxative! (thumbs u