• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz?

166 posts in this topic

This Babe Ruth contract might put a different perspective on the Superman check.

RuthContract_200.jpg

This is the famous contract of selling Babe Ruth from the Red Sox to the Yankees. It was sold at Sotheby's for $996,000!

:o

Babe Ruth contract sells for $996,000!

Mitch would look at that sale and say "I told you it wasn't worth a million dollars!"

You and I know NO board member would spend $40,000.00 on a hyped up check...think about it, you can get some serious gold, even Billy Gold for that matter. S&S names are not even spelled right. This is the biggest "sucker ploy" ever in the history of comic book fandom. You know it and I know, now $2500 bucks, seems reasonable, but to price it out of that category and to push to mid 5 figures implies for great value or investment. It simply is not there once you get the hype taken out of you. You members speak big, but I do not see you bidding on the overblown value of a simple cashed check.

And I stand by my statement, once this auction is over, nobody will ever talk about it again, not like the Billy Collection.

You and I know NO board member would spend $40,000.00 on a hyped up check...think about it, you can get some serious gold, even Billy Gold for that matter. S&S names are not even spelled right. This is the biggest "sucker ploy" ever in the history of comic book fandom. You know it and I know, now $2500 bucks, seems reasonable, but to price it out of that category and to push to mid 5 figures implies for great value or investment. It simply is not there once you get the hype taken out of you. You members speak big, but I do not see you bidding on the overblown value of a simple cashed check.

And I stand by my statement, once this auction is over, nobody will ever talk about it again, not like the Billy Collection.

Quoted for future reference.

Quoted for future reference.
He may be right. It may not be a board member that buys it. We'll probably never know.

I think a very important point is being lost in the back and forth here. There was a solicitation earlier in this thread for Mitch to post an amount he would accept to quit posting altogether. Have we got a number yet? I have donors lined up.

If not a lifetime self-ban, how about a $$ amount on a year by year basis. It could be an annuity during his golden years.

It might be less expensive to hire my friend Guido for one lump sum.

Mitch;

Don't you ever learn from your past blunders because this latest thread seems like a repeat from a similar one several months ago? (tsk)

If I remember correctly, you was talking down some key GA book simply because it was restored and stated that it was worth no more than $75K. The book ended up going for something like $150K which many experienced board members said that it was worth.

In the end, you came back on and had to apologize to everybody since the book was able to fetch the price that you said it was not worth and would never ever sell for. Maybe you should just save everybody's time and energy by admitting your error and apologizing in advance this time instead of waiting until after the auction is over. Seems like the same thread all over again.

I thought you said that the market value of an item is determined by the final auction price realized in an open auction. I am not sure why you feel that the market value should be based upon only your opinion of a particular item, and nobody else's opinion. :screwy:

Mitch;

Don't you ever learn from your past blunders because this latest thread seems like a repeat from a similar one several months ago? (tsk)

If I remember correctly, you was talking down some key GA book simply because it was restored and stated that it was worth no more than $75K. The book ended up going for something like $150K which many experienced board members said that it was worth.

In the end, you came back on and had to apologize to everybody since the book was able to fetch the price that you said it was not worth and would never ever sell for. Maybe you should just save everybody's time and energy by admitting your error and apologizing in advance this time instead of waiting until after the auction is over. Seems like the same thread all over again.

I thought you said that the market value of an item is determined by the final auction price realized in an open auction. I am not sure why you feel that the market value should be based upon only your opinion of a particular item, and nobody else's opinion. :screwy:

mitch is certainly entitled to his opinion, no harm there... I think one factor he might be missing with his analysis is that some folks have the disposable income to "throw away" $40K or 80K or whatever on a check AND still buy all the great gold they want...

that is the error as I see it...it is not a "this or that" type choice (for many like me, I know it is, but there are plenty of folks that don't care what they spend if they want something ), but it is a "this AND that" choice

Mitch;

mitch is certainly entitled to his opinion, no harm there... I think one factor he might be missing with his analysis is that some folks have the disposable income to "throw away" $40K or 80K or whatever on a check AND still buy all the great gold they want...

that is the error as I see it...it is not a "this or that" type choice (for many like me, I know it is, but there are plenty of folks that don't care what they spend if they want something ), but it is a "this AND that" choice

Rick I think the actual error, and what people object to (I know I do), is the insistent drumbeat that "this" (what I have/like) is an investment whereas "that" (what somebody else has/likes/might buy) is not. And the idea that somebody would buy "this AND that," only because they're willing to "throw away" the money on "that" -- well it ends up being interpreted by these guys as supporting the agenda -- which is to devalue what others have just because others have it/like it and they don't, and to do despite enormous evidence that plenty of people may consider it desirable AND and investment.

When people relentlessly pump the stuff they have and relentlessly slander the items other people are selling, it makes it hard not to think the agenda is to manipualte the market to devalue items that other people are selling.

I've seen signs of that agenda going back to the old-timey days, when overstreet and everybody else had formerly agreed that rare and desirable books were investments in all conditions. And a core group of guys said "Unh-UH! It's only an investment if it's in "investment grade."

Gator just because somebody HAS the money does not justify a price of 40K for an old cashed check which ripped the right off S/S for superman, nor does it jusitfy them selling his hair, next it will be his underwear. This type of "showmanship" is at the bottom of the barrel looking at it in the best light.

BC my opinion is probably agreed upon by a majority of the board members here, some who are afraid to agree with me. At what point do we stop saying something is collectable and at what price, I do not like either one here, but at almost $40,000.00 is just insane compared to what other "real" collectables are out there.

my opinion is probably agreed upon by a majority of the board members
lol

Members sometimes are afraid to agree with me and tell other board members....deep in all of your collector hearts, we all know the check is not worth $40,000.00 of golden age comics in todays market. NO way.

my opinion is probably agreed upon by a majority of the board members
lol

I think he is right on this one. Most folks wouldn't pay $40k for it. The route he took getting there is his own unique path that most would find hard to follow, though.