• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD'S 100 Greatest Covers

293 posts in this topic

100 Best Covers #71: Kingdom Come #4 (1996)

45929500520.4.GIF

Superman's one of the most recognizable things on the planet. Seeing him on fire would stick in your memory, hence the reason we included this Alex Ross gem. "The smoldering Superman is awesome... and scary," says Greg Horn (ELEKTRA). "Like somebody is about to get the worst beatdown in history."

Her body, face, pose, costume and background color all scream it: sex.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I see that cover and think "ugly, skanky 'ho with diseases that haven't been catalogued yet", but to each his own. boo.gif

Check out this :

http://www.nighthawkcomics.com/art/supes76.jpg

100 Best Covers #77: Superman #75 (1992)

83756635410.75.NEWSTND.GIF

Superman's tattered cape distressed millions of fans. "We came up with three or four sketches," says cover artist Dan Jurgens. "The idea was to put his dead body on the cover, but with a different approach. We didn't want Doomsday holding his body. I came up with the torn cape fluttering by and hung it on a stick - it said 'Death of Superman' more than anything else."

100 Best Covers #74: X-Men #116 (2001)

97794297722.116.GIF

Her body, face, pose, costume and background color all scream it: sex. Dripping with raw sensuality, the White Queen rivals most MAXIM covers. The inspiration? "What I like about this cover is that I modeled it on my lovely wife, Ann Jane," says cover artist Frank Quitely. "What I don't like about it is that it doesn't look anything like her."

It always looks to me like sHE is a HE with that bulge in her shorts. confused.gif

Her body, face, pose, costume and background color all scream it: sex.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I see that cover and think "ugly, skanky 'ho with diseases that haven't been catalogued yet", but to each his own. boo.gif

It's the prominent camel toe that grabs my attention every time I seee this cover ...

100 Best Covers #74: X-Men #116 (2001)

27_laughing.gif - what an awful cover!!

I agree. And yet, after it came out, WIZARD seemed to have a picture of it every issue for two years!

100 Best Covers #70: Marvel Comics #1 (1939)

RAD425CE200469_174543.JPG

Trust us - back in 1939, these "super-heroes" were new, different and wild. Pulp magazine legend Frank R. Paul was called on to handle the first-ever Marvel comic, and Paul's devilishly grinning Human Torch both grabbed readers' attention, and set the tone for a new company that would rule the comic world.

100 Best Covers #69: Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD #1 (1968)

74105259712.1.GIF

Pop-art master Jim Steranko produced one of Marvel's most striking - and best-selling covers. "Jim's 'Scorpio' cover was more than an effective comic cover," says Marvel founder Stan Lee. "It was a certifiable work of art, worthy of display in a fine arts gallery. And it was *still* a highly successful cover."

100 Best Covers #68: Weird Science-Fantasy #29 (1955)

031704ao.jpg

The past meets the future in this stunning Frank Frazetta masterpiece. Frazetta *is* power, and you can almost feel the caveman's jaw busting under the club. Perhaps SAVAGE DRAGON writer/artist Erik Larsen said it best: "If it's not on your list, heads will roll. This is truly just an awesome, dynamic cover."

100 Best Covers #67: Iron Man #118 (1979)

42856589026.118.GIF

Going down? Escaping from SHIELD's Helicarrier, Tony Stark (a.k.a. Iron Man) might've jumped the gun a bit. "There's immediacy to it," says artist Erik Larsen. "You say 'What a pickle this guy's in.'" Bob Layton's cover make you imagine Tony will be flatter'n pi$$ on a board if he doesn't pull that Iron Man armor on in time.

100 Best Covers #66: Amazing Spider-Man #151 (1975)

77906321824.151.GIF

"This cover - a depiction of the hero struggling under the weight of uncontrollable forces - became for me a metaphor for the existential," says artist J.G. Jones (MARVEL BOY) on John Romita Sr.'s cover. "Each man, alone must overcome the trials of his life and persevere through shear determination, or be crushed. It's one of the great single images in comics."

100 Best Covers #65: Superman #22 (1988)

83756635410.22.GIF

This eerie, monochromatic cover by John Byrne shows the big S donning a new costume element: an executioner's hood. The cover's harsh lighting and imagery makes you go, "Superman's gonna kill someone??" Unheard of. It would be the last cover from Byrne's long run chronicling the Man of Steel.

100 Best Covers #64: Moon Knight #25 (1982)

54721388088.25.GIF

Bill Sienkiewicz created a moody modern masterpiece and study in contrast on MOON KNIGHT #25. "The paper looked *soaked* in black," says STEAMPUNK artist Chris Bachalo. "The villain was Black Spectre, our hero's dilemma was black... the only thing white was Moon Knight. It was simple and dynamic in design. And black."

100 Best Covers #63: Punisher #3 (1985)

65892802344.3.GIF

A dangerous cover. The black and white setting conveyed how the title character views his world. The scowl on his face and his smoking gun lets you know his mood. And the bleeding targets? It's the frosting on this raw, in-your-face cover. But cover artist Mike Zeck sums it up best: "It's my homage to Dirty Harry."