• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD'S 100 Greatest Covers

293 posts in this topic

100 Best Covers #36: Amazing Spider-Man #238 (1983)

asm238frontcgc99.jpg

Who is this mysterious villain shredding Spidey's costume? Made us wanna buy it to find out. (It was actually the Hobgoblin's debut.) This cover marks one of the first collaborations between John Romita Jr. and Sr. Little-known fact: John Jr. rarely sells original art collaborations between he and dad.

100 Best Covers #36: Amazing Spider-Man #238 (1983)

asm238frontcgc99.jpg

Who is this mysterious villain shredding Spidey's costume? Made us wanna buy it to find out. (It was actually the Hobgoblin's debut.) This cover marks one of the first collaborations between John Romita Jr. and Sr. Little-known fact: John Jr. rarely sells original art collaborations between he and dad.

couldnt find a copy with a better grade, huh?? grin.gif

100 Best Covers #35: Batman #9 (1942)

118-060804-49.jpg

Batman creator Bob Kane scored with this image of his two classic characters in a classic pose. "It's a great shot, with an added element of danger in the spotlight thrown on them," says CAPTAIN AMERICA artist John Cassaday. "This is identified as *the* trademark Batman and Robin image. And rightfully so."

100 Best Covers #34: Daredevil #182 (1982)

daredevil_182.jpg

Frank Miller haunted readers with the image of Matt Murdock clutching the snowy grave of his late lover Elektra. "I remember having a very emotional reaction to that cover," says Brian Michael Bendis. "I bought DAREDEVIL #182 before I'd read [Elektra's death in] #181 and just thought '...on, no!' I just stared at it."

100 Best Covers #33: Amazing Spider-Man #316 (1989)

0226-Spidey316.jpg

It's evil. Leaning more towards the sci-fi world of H.R. Giger's "Aliens" than the standard spandex supervillain, the hulking creature standing over Spider-Man's beaten (dead?) body slaps you to attention. Even if you didn't know Venom, this "anti-Spider-Man" cover by Todd McFarlane reaches out, grabs you by the throat and dares you to ignore it.

Try this on for size: The interaction between the Living Pharaoh and the X-MEN logo was the FIRST TIME IT'S EVER BEEN DONE. (Think about that a sec.) Leave it to Neal Adams to innovate yet another cover technique that's been imitated thousands of times since.

sign-rantpost.gif Oh, Horse-hockey, Wizard!

Unless you narrowly define "interaction between" to mean "holding in both hands" there are plenty of earlier examples. Will Eisner started this with his Spirit Sections. Silver Age examples prior to Adams' X-Men 56 include:

Are you sure they didn't just mean the X-men logo? the first time the X-men logo has been interacted with?

100 Best Covers #32: Thor #337 (1983)

thor337.jpg

"I wanted to get the fans' attention," smiles cover artist Walt Simonson. "A monstrous Thor creature smashing the Thor logo - which was among the last of the original Marvel logos - how could Beta Ray Bill not be a bad guy? I played fair but misled the fans a bit, and got my message across: this isn't your father's Thor anymore."

100 Best Covers #31: Moon Knight #29 (1982)

59_1_b.JPG

Where's Moon Knight on the cover? Just follow the trail of blood. That is, once you get past the dead black cover, the predatory gaze of the creature's inhuman eyes and the hungry maw that hangs open. With a crescent moon - both the weapon and symbol of the main character - drowning in blood, artist Bill Sienkiewicz makes both Moon Knight and reader the prey.

Try this on for size: The interaction between the Living Pharaoh and the X-MEN logo was the FIRST TIME IT'S EVER BEEN DONE. (Think about that a sec.) Leave it to Neal Adams to innovate yet another cover technique that's been imitated thousands of times since.

sign-rantpost.gif Oh, Horse-hockey, Wizard!

Unless you narrowly define "interaction between" to mean "holding in both hands" there are plenty of earlier examples. Will Eisner started this with his Spirit Sections. Silver Age examples prior to Adams' X-Men 56 include:

Are you sure they didn't just mean the X-men logo? the first time the X-men logo has been interacted with?

Yeah, that had occured to me, but ask yourself this: If Wizard only meant that Adams was the first to apply an idea dating back to Eisner's post-War Spirit sections to the (ta-da!) X-Men title, doesn't that make their breathless ALL-CAPS quote above seem even sillier? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bradley, which issue of Wizard are you getting this list of covers from?

Everyone in the comic industry knows that Silver Surfer 4 and Spider-man 50 will never be topped. If they made a poster of the Silver Surfer 4 cover it would sell a million copies. I know of divorces where the final item to be settled in the divorce is who gets the Nm copy of Silver Surfer 4.

100 Best Covers #30: Avengers #221 (1982)

15_1_b.JPG

Curious to see who makes the team? This interactive cover by Bob Hall does its job. Spider-Man? Cool! Wolverine? He's on the X-Men! Invisible Woman...? "I love the fact that there's a blank spot showing the Invisible Woman actually invisible," laughs FATHOM creator Mike Turner. "It lured me in."

100 Best Covers #29: Iron Man #128 (1979)

dbb40.jpg

The demon of alcholism ain't just in the bottle - it's in Tony Stark himself, and the Iron Man armor can't help him in this fight. "That was a great human twist," says then-Marvel art director John Romita Sr., of Bob Layton's cover. "That cover had a great 'human interest' element, which Stan [Lee] would occasionally allow."

100 Best Covers #28: Marvels #4 (1993)

marvels_book_four_the_day_she_died.jpg

Alex Ross employed a crafty design using Spidey's trademark eye to reveal his nemesis, the Green Goblin. "What's important is the iconography of Spider-Man, to recognize him simply by the eye design," says Ross. "In that point of my career, I was adamant about removing this large-eye craze that was taking over all of Spider-Man's books."