• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which summer movie will be the highest grossing film of 2012?

Which summer movie will win the box office of 2012?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. Which summer movie will win the box office of 2012?

174 posts in this topic

Avengers killing it overseas; WW BO will blow by Hunger Games and possibly give DKR a run for its $.

It's definitely going to kill overseas. It's perfect for the overseas market--action-focused with lots of CGI and based on existing franchises so overseas audiences are pre-sold. Plus, it's a good movie, although unfortunately that seems to be a lesser factor in what attracts overseas audiences.

The Saturday viewings here were packed, after opening on Thursday. We had to go see the normal version because the iMax version for the Saturday afternoon showings was sold out as of Thursday, even though they run US$20 per ticket.

I have to change my predictions now, and make Avengers the most likely domestic and worldwide box office champ for 2012. I think it'll pass Hunger Games domestically, and has probably passed Hunger Games on overseas gross already. Only DKR probably has a chance at beating it out for #1 for 2012.

The Hobbit could be huge, both domestically and worldwide, but unless it's opening around Thanksgiving and not Christmas, then it will generate a lot of its gross in 2013, thus preventing it from unseating whatever movie is the 2012 box office champ after the summer.

My money's on Dark Knight but don't forget The Hobbit coming out later in the year... it will do huge numbers globally.

I have to agree. Chris Nolan has really never disappointed me (personally) and would love to see DK go to town on the box office. But if The Hobbit is anything like The Fellowship, my money is on the little-hairy-toed guy. The Fellowship was Tolkien translated straight from my imagination to the screen; I hope the same happens for Bilbo's adventure!

But still want to see The Avengers in a big way.

The Avengers is going to make a killing but it will be an upset if it or any other movie tallies more then the DKR based on how things are setting up for it. I said it in the other thread but the final chapters in trilogies seem to make people crazy in regards to how much they have to see a movie in the theater. I'm sure Inception making 825M won't hurt matters either especially since it was such a hit overseas.

Other studios were basically scared away by the DKR's release date in late July with no real competition coming in until 2 weeks later and that's a Bourne movie with a new actor and a Total Recall remake. After that there really isn't any other large scale, big budget releases except the Expendables 2 going into September when the kids here go back to school. If the movie is as good as it should be it's going to have a much longer shelf life at the theaters and 2+ months of IMAX receipts is going to help it's tally.

Just for reference sake in the subsequent weeks after the Avengers comes out next week you'll have Dark Shadows (Depp/Burton), Battleship, MIB 3, then the Snow White/Huntsman movie.

Curious how the Hobbit does, for some reason I don't feel the same excitement for it as I did for LOTR but maybe that's because I've read both.

There's not a lot of enthusiasm on this board for Prometheus it seems. Maybe it's because it's a comics board as opposed to film buff's board, but it will probably outdo Spider-Man. There seems to be two movies that the film lovers are waiting for with their tongues out, and they're The Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus. Spider-Man is talked about like it's a bit of an also-ran. And The Hobbit? Don't get me started on the whole 48 frames per second thing ...

Avengers killing it overseas; WW BO will blow by Hunger Games and possibly give DKR a run for its $.

It's definitely going to kill overseas. It's perfect for the overseas market--action-focused with lots of CGI and based on existing franchises so overseas audiences are pre-sold. Plus, it's a good movie, although unfortunately that seems to be a lesser factor in what attracts overseas audiences.

The Saturday viewings here were packed, after opening on Thursday. We had to go see the normal version because the iMax version for the Saturday afternoon showings was sold out as of Thursday, even though they run US$20 per ticket.

I have to change my predictions now, and make Avengers the most likely domestic and worldwide box office champ for 2012. I think it'll pass Hunger Games domestically, and has probably passed Hunger Games on overseas gross already. Only DKR probably has a chance at beating it out for #1 for 2012.

The Hobbit could be huge, both domestically and worldwide, but unless it's opening around Thanksgiving and not Christmas, then it will generate a lot of its gross in 2013, thus preventing it from unseating whatever movie is the 2012 box office champ after the summer.

Avengers will do $1 billion WW; that's amazing. DKR will have to be good/great to top it.

My money is on Avengers, DKR or The Hobbit. I'm not sold on Prometheus as it's likely to be an R rated film and those typically don't become high grossing films and don't appeal to families or children. Avengers it seems has the interest of everyone right now, The Hobbit can piggy back of the LOTR worldwide box office, DKR is up in the air for me as the DK had the free press and hype of Ledger's performace to prop it up, so unless Tom Hardy kicks the bucket or Bane all of a sudden becomes as popular as the Joker I don't see it becoming the hit that DK was.

It's getting close to the first summer movie of the year (The Avengers :banana: )

So,I think we should vote on who's going to be the highest grossing summer film of 2012 :cool:

Let the voting begin :popcorn:

My moneys on Avengers,Batman will disappoint at the box office compared to the Heath Ledger Joker film,while the Spiderman reboot will be the lowest of the 4 Spider-man movies box office wise.

They all could be great films, but that doesn`t mean anything if mainstream people have grown tired of superheroes!

So far my pick is looking good :cloud9:

I have read many postings on Austrian boards and movie websites regarding Avengers, and I have never seen so much people who want to see a movie for a second time. There is so much going on in this movie, everybody wants to see it at least twice. Me too, I have just booked my 4th screening for Friday. I think it will be the last one, but hey, the last time I saw a movie so many times in cinemas must have been 20 years ago.

After the first two weeks DKR will flounder IMO.

People are going to suddenly realize that lisping growling Batman Bale is not Brando and the only reason the blinder wearing public cared about the last one is because weak-willed "I porked Jake in a movie" Heath killed himself just before release.

Inception and Memento are "thinking man's" movies and they are 100% excellent in absolutely every aspect, writing, directing, AND acting. The Batman movies are weak in comparison and there's already rumor of a "reboot" on IMDB. :facepalm:

I know I'm playing to a tough crowd here when I say these things, but YOU are the blinder wearing public. :sumo:

Guest Grails

I'm not a fan of Bale or Heath Ledger. I also did not like Batman Begins. But I loved The Dark Knight. It just worked. It may not be a "thinking mans movie" but it definitely is as far as comic book films go. And to be quite honest, I didn't enjoy The Dark Knight the first time around. Thought it was a tad slow. But on subsequent viewings, it really grew on me as a solid crime noir flick.

As far as a reboot, that is not a rumor. Nolan won't be doing another Batman film so they have to reboot it.

I'm not a fan of Bale or Heath Ledger. I also did not like Batman Begins. But I loved The Dark Knight. It just worked. It may not be a "thinking mans movie" but it definitely is as far as comic book films go. And to be quite honest, I didn't enjoy The Dark Knight the first time around. Thought it was a tad boring. But on subsequent viewings, it really grew on me as a solid crime noir flick.

I used Inception and Memento as examples of Nolan work that are outstanding so it doesn't seem as if I'm panning the direction. It's the weak dialogue and acting (among a few other things) that hurts the Batman movies IMO.

I've listed the problems I have with the more recent of the two before and there's no reason for me to detail it all out again. I also know that my opinion of the film is definitely the minority one around here. :juggle:

After the first two weeks DKR will flounder IMO.

People are going to suddenly realize that lisping growling Batman Bale is not Brando and the only reason the blinder wearing public cared about the last one is because weak-willed "I porked Jake in a movie" Heath killed himself just before release.

Inception and Memento are "thinking man's" movies and they are 100% excellent in absolutely every aspect, writing, directing, AND acting. The Batman movies are weak in comparison and there's already rumor of a "reboot" on IMDB. :facepalm:

I know I'm playing to a tough crowd here when I say these things, but YOU are the blinder wearing public. :sumo:

You speak the truth

Here's the impact the free publicity of Ledger's death and the buzz about his performance was worth to WB

Batman Begins Domestic Gross $205,343,774

Dark Knight Domestic Gross $533,345,358

Batman Begins didn't make nearly as much as DK, but all the buzz and hype around Ledger bumped that movie to a whole new level.

Guest Grails
Here's the impact the free publicity of Ledger's death and the buzz about his performance was worth to WB

Batman Begins didn't make nearly as much as DK, but all the buzz and hype around Ledger bumped that movie to a whole new level.

You really think that Ledgers death helped push the box office to those numbers? That Ledger was so famous from all his previous blockbusters that people had to go see this?

how about the fact that DK was called one of the best superhero movies ever made? or scored 94 on RT and 82 on metacritic? or led to Hollywood revamping the # of best picture nominees from 5 to 10 because it was shut out? face it, you are going to be so wrong on your box office prediction of $400mm WW that you should just pack it in and post under a less obvious shill account.

how about the fact that DK was called one of the best superhero movies ever made? or scored 94 on RT and 82 on metacritic? or led to Hollywood revamping the # of best picture nominees from 5 to 10 because it was shut out? face it, you are going to be so wrong on your box office prediction of $400mm WW that you should just pack it in and post under a less obvious shill account.

Forgetting Ledger's death, I thought his performance was pretty spectacular. I have to agree that there was a morbid-factor involved in the box office numbers.

Then how do you account for the vast difference the two films made domestically? Not saying I didn't like Dark Knight, I just think Ledger's awesome performance carried the film. The free publicity the movie garnered from his untimely death and the buzz about his awesome performace mized in with Joker's popularity in pop culture elevated the box office of the movie way past Batman Begins.

Is Bane as popular? Nope. Do I hope Dark Knight Rises is a worthy successor? Hell yes, as I enjoy comic book adaptations.