• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which summer movie will be the highest grossing film of 2012?

Which summer movie will win the box office of 2012?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. Which summer movie will win the box office of 2012?

174 posts in this topic

Just think the movie made 200 million in 3 days, if the movie drops by 55-60% in it's 2nd weekend it still makes 120 million in it's 2nd weekend, it's final gross domestically could be in the $500-550 million range, and will more than likely be over 1 Billion worldwide. That's a lot of cash.

That should be a wake up call to a lot of film execs that should be sitting up and taking notice. Why they haven't been able to get their A game together for so many years and put out a quality product just shows that most execs don't have a clue as to what they are doing.

Just think the movie made 200 million in 3 days, if the movie drops by 55-60% in it's 2nd weekend it still makes 120 million in it's 2nd weekend, it's final gross domestically could be in the $500-550 million range, and will more than likely be over 1 Billion worldwide. That's a lot of cash.

solid math here

solid math here

:roflmao:

solid math here

$200 million 1st weekend, 60% drop puts it at $120 million 2nd weekend. No that doesn't equal $500-50 million. After it's intial run domestically I'd guess i'd be in the $500-550 million range.

That should be a wake up call to a lot of film execs that should be sitting up and taking notice. Why they haven't been able to get their A game together for so many years and put out a quality product just shows that most execs don't have a clue as to what they are doing.

When it comes to writing and directing - absolutely we need the execs to let the Joss Whedon's of the world have creative control. Look what Nolan did for Batman when WB stayed out of his way.

What is being missed is that Marvel Studios is reaping the benefits of good writing and directing at the right time. Whedon openly admitted that filming and digital tech from even 5 years ago was not enough to create this version of a more realistic Hulk and add him into the scenes. This was also one of the reasons why when the screenplay and plotlines were developed a few years back it did not include Wasp or Giant-Man/Ant Man. They simply could not have the varying degrees of size and depth perception to work on screen and keep it looking and feeling "real"

This was also likely why Jon Favreau introduced the Black Widow in IM2 so that we had a strong female lead on the Avengers to replace the Wasp. In the case of the Avengers Favreau is the one person who has not been mentioned that much but was executive producer for the film and is not getting a lot of recognition - remember he wrote the first “Avengers Initiative” lines uttered by Nick Fury at the end of IM1.

solid math here

$200 million 1st weekend, 60% drop puts it at $120 million 2nd weekend. No that doesn't equal $500-50 million. After it's intial run domestically I'd guess i'd be in the $500-550 million range.

i've got some second grade students who could help you with this one

solid math here

Good grief, Charlie Brown. :facepalm:

solid math here

i've got some second grade students who could help you with this one

Marvel Rulz !

solid math here

Note the difference between 'drops to 60%' vs 'drops by 60%'. :gossip:

this is not a bad estimate but will prove to be too low. the best word of mouth superhero movies tend toward 3x multiple of opening weekend for total domestic gross. i see $600mm domestic, WW $1.5 billion is a distinct possibility. the competition the next two weekends is pretty weak: Dark Shadows & Battleship, :P

When it comes to writing and directing - absolutely we need the execs to let the Joss Whedon's of the world have creative control. Look what Nolan did for Batman when WB stayed out of his way.

What is being missed is that Marvel Studios is reaping the benefits of good writing and directing at the right time. Whedon openly admitted that filming and digital tech from even 5 years ago was not enough to create this version of a more realistic Hulk and add him into the scenes. This was also one of the reasons why when the screenplay and plotlines were developed a few years back it did not include Wasp or Giant-Man/Ant Man. They simply could not have the varying degrees of size and depth perception to work on screen and keep it looking and feeling "real"

This was also likely why Jon Favreau introduced the Black Widow in IM2 so that we had a strong female lead on the Avengers to replace the Wasp. In the case of the Avengers Favreau is the one person who has not been mentioned that much but was executive producer for the film and is not getting a lot of recognition - remember he wrote the first “Avengers Initiative” lines uttered by Nick Fury at the end of IM1.

Im sure the money will ease his pain

The reason DARK KNIGHT RISES won't do well.

Think Superman 3, Spider-Man 3. That type of story has been done before where the hero falls apart and comes back the big hero. Those type of movies just don't do well. From what they show in the commercials its that type of movie again. It may be done much better than those other movies though, that may have something going for it.

Guest Grails

The Avengers has done well despite each characters mediocre solo films. Well, the first Iron Man was decent. Dark Knight Rises will probably come in at number 2 since you have fans of one hero vs the four in Avengers. Yes, BW doesn't count.

For me Nolan is one of the best in the industry and I'm fairly certain Rises will be anything but formulaic. I'm still not rooting for either film in the box office since I'm not seeing any of that green. Well that, and the box office is not a representation of a good film. Avatar anyone?

The Avengers has done well despite each characters mediocre solo films. Well, the first Iron Man was decent. Dark Knight Rises will probably come in at number 2 since you have fans of one hero vs the four in Avengers. Yes, BW doesn't count.

For me Nolan is one of the best in the industry and I'm fairly certain Rises will be anything but formulaic. I'm still not rooting for either film in the box office since I'm not seeing any of that green. Well that, and the box office is not a representation of a good film. Avatar anyone?

you draw a distinction between "mediocre" and "decent?" let me in on it.

Think Superman 3, Spider-Man 3. That type of story has been done before where the hero falls apart and comes back the big hero. Those type of movies just don't do well. From what they show in the commercials its that type of movie again. It may be done much better than those other movies though, that may have something going for it.

I have a hard time believing Nolan won't knock it out of the park, considering everything else has been stellar.

I have a hard time believing Nolan won't knock it out of the park, considering everything else has been stellar.

+1

It's his last movie in the franchise. I don't see him "mailing it in". He's going to go out with a great one.

Iron Man was the best superhero movie made before the Avengers. Captain America was excellent and Thor was good. Iron Man 2 was decent.

I don't think any of the recent Marvel movies were mediocre.

Iron Man was the best superhero movie made before the Avengers. Captain America was excellent and Thor was good. Iron Man 2 was decent.

I don't think any of the recent Marvel movies were mediocre.

I agree with the order of your rankings (although I still haven't seen IM2), but I don't agree with your ratings.

Iron Man was great. Captain America was pretty good. Thor was decent. :baiting:

I guess i'm in the minority for saying I loved Captain America. I thought it was very well done.

Thor bothered me with the lower budget when he got to earth. But I still enjoyed it a lot.

Let's also not forget about Xmen 1st class which was great too.