• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which summer movie will be the highest grossing film of 2012?

Which summer movie will win the box office of 2012?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. Which summer movie will win the box office of 2012?

174 posts in this topic

A couple of weeks ago, I'd have said that THE HUNGER GAMES phenomena was definitely going to carry it through the entire summer as the box office champ in the end. But, I think now that this could be that rare season with two, maybe even THREE separate phenomenas as far as mind boggling grosses are concerned.

I've been eagerly counting the days waiting for THE AVENGERS to hit the screen ever since it was first mentioned as a POSSIBILITY around the time the first IRON MAN was in production. So, it's been years...

But, even with the success of each subsequent Marvel film in the series building up to it, I wasn't so sure that the general public would be quite so eager for THE AVENGERS film to make it a guaranteed blockbuster. Oh, I figured that it would make money, but I thought that it's gross would be dwarfed by THG & very likely RISES. Probably ASM as well.

But, all that thought's gone clear the window now. What with the mad amount of enthusiasm that the public's shown leading up to it's domestic release, the stellar critical notices it's gotten & the unexpected ( by me anyhow ) amount of riches that it's already accrued from it's world wide release thus far.

Now, I firmly believe that THE AVENGERS will have the highest gross both domestically & WW come labor day.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES?

It will obviously be a huge success, no question about it.

But now, I think there will be some talk about it being somewhat of an "under-performer" because it may not reach quite the same heights as THE HUNGER GAMES & THE AVENGERS. We'll see...

Unfortunately, now I think the film that just might get lost amid these other mega-event movies is ASM. I'm concerned that by the time it's released, the public might be experiencing a bit of a superhero hangover of sorts & a significant percentage of them might choose to ignore it.

We, the fanboys & girls will flock to see it of course, probably in enough numbers to ensure that it's not a failure. But, I think it may fall short of blockbuster status.

OH, where do I envision PROMETHEUS in all this?

It's not so easy to peg...

The vast majority of "us" are all thrilled at the thought of seeing it. We can't wait.

But, the public at large?

Who knows?

It could very well become the summer season's third ( maybe even fourth ) box office total sensation or, it could turn out to be a disappointment. It'll all depend on the young people. Many of whom might not "get it" regarding it's ties to ALIEN, or if they do, might not care. It's tough to say.

Anyhow, I hope I'm underestimating them & the rest of the general public, which means it'll be huge.

Unless DKR is a great, great movie we probably have our winner.... Avengers is taking names, killing it, breaking records and marching on. Great summer movie and a glimpse of what can happen when fanboys are in charge of making these films.

Prometheus looks really cool, saw the trailer before the Avengers this weekend and I wasn't that interested in watching it but will be there opening day now.

Prometheus looks really cool, saw the trailer before the Avengers this weekend and I wasn't that interested in watching it but will be there opening day now.

Prometheus might be a fine movie, but it won`t affect the box office race. Ridley Scott has made some great movies, but none have been mega-blockbusters.

Prometheus might be a fine movie, but it won`t affect the box office race. Ridley Scott has made some great movies, but none have been mega-blockbusters.

Yeah was just a general comment, was never an "Alien" movie fan and the only 1 I ever saw was the Cameron written/directed Aliens which I enjoyed.

This movie is going to be rated R anyway no ? Kinda makes it a moot point when discussing it and it possibly being 1 of the highest grossing films of the year.

Yeah was just a general comment, was never an "Alien" movie fan and the only 1 I ever saw was the Cameron written/directed Aliens which I enjoyed.

:o

You need to see "Alien"!!!! :makepoint:

The great thing about "Alien" and "Aliens" is that they`re so completely different, to the point of being completely different genres, but both are excellent. The first one is a suspense/horror movie, while the second one is a straightforward action flick. I`m personally partial to "Alien", which I think is a truly great movie, while "Aliens" to me is simply a very good movie.

:o

You need to see "Alien"!!!! :makepoint:

The great thing about "Alien" and "Aliens" is that they`re so completely different, to the point of being completely different genres, but both are excellent. The first one is a suspense/horror movie, while the second one is a straightforward action flick. I`m personally partial to "Alien", which I think is a truly great movie, while "Aliens" to me is simply a very good movie.

It's hard for me to chose the better flick...

One monster on a giant space ship with only an astronaut crew

or crashing on a planet with a futuristic marine unit armed with heavy weapons

while thousands of the monsters hiding every where.

both are 10 out 10 classics to me...

while on this Alien kick I did some youtube looking and I found this jewel...

I must be living in a cave because I never seen or heard of this deleted scene

(basically what does an alien do if there is no queen) this might actually shed

some light on the Prometheus story line of just one space jockey and all those eggs

there could've been one rogue alien that did to the space jockey's whole crew

and his "distress call" was after he became impregnated.

But then again, a delete scene really isn't suppose to be part of any story line at all, right???

Great Stuff!

:cloud9:

Guest Grails

some light on the Prometheus story line of just one space jockey and all those eggs

But then again, a delete scene really isn't suppose to be part of any story line at all, right???

Great Stuff!

That scene along with others like Ripley with a flame thrower were put back into the film for the Directors cut and the re-release in theaters in 2003.

Hunger Games will top them all -- and will probably still be playing when summer officially (June 21) rolls around.

What maroon wrote this? meh

A week and a half for the Avengers to make a liar of me. Bravo. (worship)

Everyone voting for "Avengers" is engaging in seriously wishful thinking.

How does that crow taste? hm:whistle::baiting:

I guess I can handle being wrong once a year. :ohnoez:

Great Stuff!

That scene along with others like Ripley with a flame thrower were put back into the film for the Directors cut and the re-release in theaters in 2003.

Now that I thought about it even more, the space jockey was by himself

and the human crew all became those eggs...

my only question was what happened to the alien that created this scene?

Maybe the being died fighting with the last bit of human resistance

in a suicidal explosion?

hm

I didn't think "The Hunger Games" would be the top gross for 2012, but still think it will be in the Top-5. Expecting "Battleship" to not meet expectations...probably Spider-Man as well.

No doubt now, "The Avengers" will be the top gross for 2012....No movie this year is going to beat it.

I think it's almost safe to say it'll be Avengers. I wasn't expecting 200 million in one weekend. That's insane. I saw it twice and both times I saw it the theater was sold out, I had a friend who didn't buy tickets in advance who got to the theater at 9:30 and couldn't get in. So he had to wait until 3 showing later to get a ticket that wasn't sold out.

Awesome movie! Can't wait for the blu ray

Just think the movie made 200 million in 3 days, if the movie drops by 55-60% in it's 2nd weekend it still makes 120 million in it's 2nd weekend, it's final gross domestically could be in the $500-550 million range, and will more than likely be over 1 Billion worldwide. That's a lot of cash.