• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which summer movie will be the highest grossing film of 2012?

Which summer movie will win the box office of 2012?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. Which summer movie will win the box office of 2012?

174 posts in this topic

I guess i'm in the minority for saying I loved Captain America. I thought it was very well done.

Thor bothered me with the lower budget when he got to earth. But I still enjoyed it a lot.

Let's also not forget about Xmen 1st class which was great too.

The Cap movie was really well done, it just felt more like a War movie than a hero movie. It was still a high quality piece with a terrific feel to it.

I guess i'm in the minority for saying I loved Captain America. I thought it was very well done.

Thor bothered me with the lower budget when he got to earth. But I still enjoyed it a lot.

The Cap movie was really well done, it just felt more like a War movie than a hero movie. It was still a high quality piece with a terrific feel to it.

That's true. They did establish his origin quite strongly in that movie...setting Cap up for the movies to come...

It was well done. I just thought it was a bit too corny in parts.

Agree with Mark that the earth scenes in Thor weren't up to par. Loki was, by far, the best part of the movie. He was great. I'm glad they used him as the villain in Avengers.

I have thought ALL superhero movies are corny at times. It is like jokes are forced for young children and jokes are forced for adults who are not comic book nerds.

I tend to look past those jokes/scenes.

If I had to rank all recent Marvel movies I would say, X-Men 1st class then Avengers, then Cap.

I have never walked out of a theatre disappointed with any movie......well maybe the latest Ghost Rider had me a little down.

I do fear however (marvel fan, born and raised) Dark Knight Rises could top Avengers.

Also the Amazing Spiderman may shock everyone.

The fame of the Avengers may start a fire to have all these newly acquired fans to go see all super hero movies from this point forward.

Remember 10yrs ago or so, no superhero movie got a good review from the critics.

X-Men 2 and Spiderman 2 had me on the edge of my seat, bitting my nails.

$207.1M box office opening (worship)

The superhero tentpole, scoring the top opening of all time in North America, outpaces Sunday's projected $200.3 million bow; worldwide, the film has earned $654.5 million, the top gross of 2012.

The news keeps getting better for Marvel Studios and Disney.

On Sunday, Disney's estimates put the domestic debut of The Avengers at $200.3 million -- the biggest three-day opening of all time at the domestic box office.

But thanks to a better-than-expected Sunday, the Joss Whedon-directed tentpole came in even higher with a projected $207.1 million (the number won't be final until midday Monday).

The 3D event pic, marking a major victory for Disney and Marvel, easily dethroned Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, which opened to $169.2 million last summer, then the largest debut in history.

Avengers opened a week earlier overseas, earning a whopping $447.4 million through Sunday for a worldwide total of $654.5 million -- eclipsing the $617.7 million earned by The Hunger Games to become the top title of 2012.

To boot, Avengers already has surpassed the lifetime totals of Captain America: The First Avenger ($364 million), Thor ($449 million), Iron Man ($585 million) and Iron Man 2 ($624 million).

Avengers -- which assembles Marvel superhero characters Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Captain America (Chris Evans), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) -- earned a glowing A+ CinemaScore.

Avengers is now positioned to reach $1 billion in global grosses in a much-needed win for Disney, which posted a $200 million loss after John Carter cratered at the box office this year. It's also a validation of Marvel's strategy to build a franchise by turning out single titles -- Iron Man, its sequel, Thor and Captain America -- and then bring the characters together. Avengers also could reboot the Hulk film franchise.

Among other records, Avengers is the first film to cross $200 million in only three days of play at the domestic box office. It also scored the biggest Saturday gross of all time, earning $69.7 million.

It was well done. I just thought it was a bit too corny in parts.

I thought that the 1940's were a bit more corny than the 2000's so in that respect, I think they managed to capture the charm of the WW 2 era.

Agree with Mark that the earth scenes in Thor weren't up to par. Loki was, by far, the best part of the movie. He was great. I'm glad they used him as the villain in Avengers.

I tried to take off my rose coloured glasses (because I am a big Thor fan) and thought the movie was well done but hey, I understand that you can't please everyone.

Still way better than stuff like Ghost Rider, Spidey #3, etc. and in the top 10, if not top 5 Superhero movies to date IMO.

I thought Captain America was a GREAT movie and it was very well done IMO!

Just think the movie made 200 million in 3 days, if the movie drops by 55-60% in it's 2nd weekend it still makes 120 million in it's 2nd weekend, it's final gross domestically could be in the $500-550 million range, and will more than likely be over 1 Billion worldwide. That's a lot of cash.

That should be a wake up call to a lot of film execs that should be sitting up and taking notice. Why they haven't been able to get their A game together for so many years and put out a quality product just shows that most execs don't have a clue as to what they are doing.

Roy, why would they need to when they've got plenty of moviegoers who are happy to lower their expectations to zero and throw their money at substandard product like "Transformers"?

Just think the movie made 200 million in 3 days, if the movie drops by 55-60% in it's 2nd weekend it still makes 120 million in it's 2nd weekend, it's final gross domestically could be in the $500-550 million range, and will more than likely be over 1 Billion worldwide. That's a lot of cash.

That should be a wake up call to a lot of film execs that should be sitting up and taking notice. Why they haven't been able to get their A game together for so many years and put out a quality product just shows that most execs don't have a clue as to what they are doing.

Roy, why would they need to when they've got plenty of moviegoers who are happy to lower their expectations to zero and throw their money at substandard product like "Transformers"?

Because there are also hugely expensive films like John Carter that bomb at the box office.

Where are all of those "The Hunger Games" fans at now? They will disappear again after the next Batman movie.

The Avengers is the best thus far, and most likely, for a very long time to come.

But that is why there is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream. To each his own.

Having said all of that. I thought the first Batman movie, with Jack Nicholson was great. He is the best. More entertaining than Keith Ledger ever was.

According to the poll, The Dark Knight Rises was predicted to be the highest grossing, over The Avengers, 46% to 35%. :blush:

Does anyone still think The Dark Knight Rises will do better than The Avengers? :D

According to the poll, The Dark Knight Rises was predicted to be the highest grossing, over The Avengers, 46% to 35%. :blush:

Does anyone still think The Dark Knight Rises will do better than The Avengers? :D

Not likely but if anything has a chance, its DKR. I liked the 1st one mostly but i gotta say that the trailer for it yesterday at the Avengers didnt exactly get me psyched up to see it (shrug)

Not likely but if anything has a chance, its DKR. I liked the 1st one mostly but i gotta say that the trailer for it yesterday at the Avengers didnt exactly get me psyched up to see it (shrug)

You went back to see it again? How many times is that now?

Yeah, that trailer is like 4 months old or something. It was ultra lame.

DKR is going to do well, but it's just not going to touch TDK. People go ballistic for dead movie stars. They did the same thing when The Crow came out. Comic people (at least the buzz around where I was at) thought The Crow totally cr@pped on the original James O'Barr story, but people felt obliged to like it because Brandon Lee's performance in it was awesome - which helped it do well at the Box Office.

Huh??? Thats only the 2nd time i've seen it. I'm pretty proud of myself, i think most people thought i'd have seen it 45 times by now! lol

If my wife wasnt out of town all last week leaving me with the kids, i probably would have! :gossip:

Huh??? Thats only the 2nd time i've seen it. I'm pretty proud of myself, i think most people thought i'd have seen it 45 times by now! lol

If my wife wasnt out of town all last week leaving me with the kids, i probably would have! :gossip:

The wife and I have seen it twice, but she said that's it for her!

I definitely have a t least 1 more trip in me. Both times i've gone with my 7 year old son so im definitely planning on one more time by myself where i dont have to run out 5 times to take him to the nathroom (thumbs u

no

Hell no.

And I voted for The Dark Knight Rises :ohnoez: