• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Action Comics #1 of other hobbies?

178 posts in this topic

With the recent talk about a certain check, and about Action Comics #1 it got me thinking...

What is the Action Comics #1 of other hobbies?

I only follow comics, so Im in the dark on most things, and in some hobbies it may not be as clear, but thought it would be a fun list to make, and have people chime in who have multiple collectible hobbies....

I guess the way to decide what is the equivalent is a combination of perceived value as the "top" of the market book, popularity, and in part prestige in the hobby.

Comics: Action Comics #1

Baseball Cards: Honus Wagner T-206

Coins : Silver Dollars, Draped Bust 1804 Proof Restrike MS/PF (as far as I can see)

Magazines: Playboy #1 ? (dont know about this)

what are other collector hobies #1 item?

Pretty sure the Action 1 of magazines is the 1887 edition of Beeton's Christmas Annual containing the 1st appearance of Sherlock Holmes.

You could say this is the Action 1 of pulps too. If not, then it's the October, 1912 issue of All-Story Magazine containing the 1st appearance of Tarzan.

I guess here's my question... there are 1 off iconic collectibles (the "one of a kind"s) and then there are crown jewels to the collection.

There are 57 graded Action Comics

There are somewhere between 50 and 100 T-206 Honus Wagners

aren't both the coin and stamp examples 1 of a kind?

I'd consider the Inverted Jenny to be the Action Comics #1 of Stamps... very rare, very valuable, iconic and quite the grail (I assume) for a stamp collector... but then again Im not a stamp guy

Stamps:

Post Office Mauritius, 1847

$3.8 million at auction

I dont know anything about stamps but isnt the upside down plane stamp the #1???

Thats the only one ive ever heard of (shrug)

I guess here's my question... there are 1 off iconic collectibles (the "one of a kind"s) and then there are crown jewels to the collection.

There are 57 graded Action Comics

There are somewhere between 50 and 100 T-206 Honus Wagners

aren't both the coin and stamp examples 1 of a kind?

I'd consider the Inverted Jenny to be the Action Comics #1 of Stamps... very rare, very valuable, iconic and quite the grail (I assume) for a stamp collector... but then again Im not a stamp guy

The coin example isn't one of a kind.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2011-07-07-double-eagle-gold-coin_n.htm

Stamps:

$3.8 million at auction

I dont know anything about stamps but isnt the upside down plane stamp the #1???

As per wiki, a single inverted Jenny was sold or US $977,500. A block of four inverted Jennys was sold at a Robert A. Siegel auction in October 2005 for US $2.7 million.

Stamps:

$3.8 million at auction

As per wiki, a single inverted Jenny was sold or US $977,500. A block of four inverted Jennys was sold at a Robert A. Siegel auction in October 2005 for US $2.7 million.

Why does the inverted Jennys get so much publicity if theres a stamp 4 times more valuable???

Whats the stamp you posted? Why's it so valuable?

Why does the inverted Jennys get so much publicity if theres a stamp 4 times more valuable???

1. Its a US stamp, so US collectors are somewhat more interested in it. Its the most valuable US stamp (I think).

2. Inverts appear to be a collectible sub-set of the hobby (like people collecting double covers)

3. I think it was the first air-mail stamp too...

As far as Rock and Roll autographs,this is the holy grail.

sandiegocomiccon2011301.jpg

I would think Hendrix would be more of a grail since he died so young and signed fewer things (one would assume) than Elvis over the course of his career.

Stamps:

$3.8 million at auction

Inverted Jennys are the most famous error in American philately (they number approx 100)

The other one, besides having only 30 known copies to have possibly survived, has quite a rich history behind it.