• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Action Comics #1 of other hobbies?

178 posts in this topic

Looks like the Double Telescoping Vader is the Action #1 of Star Wars Action Figures

DTVader.jpg

really??? Does that beat out carded Anakin Skywalker POTF-85???

I've been out of toy collecting for awhile, and that was the grail when I was in.

hm

I thought the Jawa Figure was #1

Looks like a recent Anakin sold for $1800, while a Double Telescoping Luke (more common than Darth or Obi-Wan) sold for $3600.

you may be right on the Jawa Vinyl though.. recent sales go from $3300 to $5k depending on condition!

I know the Vinyl Jawa sufferes from the fear of counterfeit problem (at least the uncarded ones...)

Do prototypes count? I thought some of those brought huge money?

This made me think of the G.I. Joe prototype.

I think prototypes (since they are not produced for public consumption) wouldnt count... that would be like comparing a comic to a piece of original comic art...

Think for GI joe the Nurse is the most prized non-proto figure from the original line

Do prototypes count? I thought some of those brought huge money?

This made me think of the G.I. Joe prototype.

I saw a show on TV fairly recently, can't remember the exact name but is was something like "Toy Hunter" and he had a prototype Fett that he was asking like $10k or $20k for.

Looks like the Double Telescoping Vader is the Action #1 of Star Wars Action Figures

DTVader.jpg

I've been out of toy collecting for awhile, and that was the grail when I was in.

hm

pretty sure the Boba Fett with firing rocket is the ^^

DTVader.jpg

For production toys, a carded (MOC) DT Ben Kenobi is rarer and would be worth more.

There are far more valuable pre-production and prototypes in the Star Wars toys category.

DTVader.jpg

hm

pretty sure the Boba Fett with firing rocket is the ^^

If we are including prototypes, then the L-slot or J-slot rocket firing Fett's would be more valuable.

DTVader.jpg

hm

I thought the Jawa Figure was #1

Looks like a recent Anakin sold for $1800, while a Double Telescoping Luke (more common than Darth or Obi-Wan) sold for $3600.

you may be right on the Jawa Vinyl though.. recent sales go from $3300 to $5k depending on condition!

I know the Vinyl Jawa sufferes from the fear of counterfeit problem (at least the uncarded ones...)

A conservative estimate on an MOC DT Vader would bring in the neighbourhood of $15K-$20K. Much higher if it were a graded example exceeding the score of 85.

Comparatively, an MOC DT Kenobi would bring conservatively in the neighbourhood of $20-$25K. I haven't checked the census, but based on how rare and frail the telescoping sabers are for this figure, I don't think it would be possible for a graded example to meet or exceed the 85 grade, so if one did, sky's the limit.

For VC Jawa's, an MOC in 85 can be had in the conservative range of $5-$8K. Because these are not in the same rarity category as the DT Vader or Ben, some collectors would hold out for unpunched, unstickered, better presenting examples and they are out there.

That said, if any MOC foreign example like a Meccano or Toltoys VC Jawa were ever to appear on the market, it would most certainly meet or exceed any of the top values for production toys.

This photo below shows a Mecanno VC Jawa - rumour has it that it's legit, although to my knowledge, it hasn't ever been publicly documented or verified:

SW_V_88_.JPG

For electric basses, the Bass of Doom , Jaco Pastorius'es 1962 Fender Jazz bass, frettless.

wow didn't really know who this guy was but after reading his wiki page seems pretty amazing. Also he was born in Norristown, Pennsylvania which is pretty close to me. died at 35...dooh!

For baseball cards it's Honus Wagner

Isn't that upside down plane a holy grail stamp?

Inverted Jennys are the most famous error in American philately (they number approx 100)

thus most sought by American collectors, but by no means most valuable or rare...

According to the internets - this movie prop TIE Fighter from New Hope went for a cool $350,000.

TIEFighterMiniatureProfilesInHistory.jpg

Another non-mass-produced item that sold for that high because it's unique and therefore not well-comparable to mass-produced comics.

According to the internets - this movie prop TIE Fighter from New Hope went for a cool $350,000.

TIEFighterMiniatureProfilesInHistory.jpg

Not sure if they apply here, but blue screen props, especially the ships, costumes, guns/weapons and pretty much any screen used prop from the Star Wars films have a ton of interest and go for big bucks.

For electric basses, the Jaco Pastorius'es 1962 Fender Jazz bass, frettless.

wow, I had never heard this was found! I always hoped it would turn up, somewhere

For baseball cards it's Honus Wagner

Isn't that upside down plane a holy grail stamp?

Inverted Jennys are the most famous error in American philately (they number approx 100)

thus most sought by American collectors, but by no means most valuable or rare...

I don't understand what you mean? The OP asked for equivalents of Action 1 for other hobbies. These examples are just that... Holy grails for other hobbies.

The above examples are the action 1 equivalents in baseball cards and stamps.