• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

:headbang: Just arrived today! The ultra rare Star Wars #1 Greek baby.....

Star_Wars1_Greek_front_smaller.jpg

Star_Wars1_Greek_back_smaller.jpg

The top right looks like a piece is missing.. but its actually a defect of the printing plate I think? Its like a registration problem where the original non printed paper is showing....

WOW! Nice find sir! You getting it sent in for grading or restoration?

The Asm 121 is a spanish edition, and it's in surprisely nice condition.

Heck yea its nice! Like VF looking for sure! Gotta love those Bats too! though I have a question Marmat? Now we know that Novaro art was licensed for the EPUCAL editions in Columbia….. But as far as I know that was the only geographical difference in Novaro art that I had ever seen.

Notice the differences between the books you posted and scans from the Novaro run on GCD. The GCD database has Novaro books of both types there so that doesn’t really answer any questions? Some have speculated their might have been different Novaro printings, some rarer than others? Or maybe different runs slated to go to other Spanish speaking countries? At this point I am not even sure the Columbian EPUCAL books were printed in Columbia or on the Novaro presses themselves in Mexico? Lots to think about…. Can you shed light on what you think might be going on? Thanks! Love the books BTW!

Novarodiff2.jpg

Novaro_diff.jpg

Is it possible a Spanish as in Spain Novaro variant exists? hm

:headbang: Just arrived today! The ultra rare Star Wars #1 Greek baby.....

Star_Wars1_Greek_front_smaller.jpg

Star_Wars1_Greek_back_smaller.jpg

The top right looks like a piece is missing.. but its actually a defect of the printing plate I think? Its like a registration problem where the original non printed paper is showing....

WOW! Nice find sir! You getting it sent in for grading or restoration?

Nope... its gonna live raw with my SW #1 German, French canadian, and Mexican versions happily ever after.... lol Its not that I do not like slabs... I just cannot afford to slab my foreigns or get them ss'd. I need every scrap of dough to seek and search out more foreign monsters that need slayin'! (thumbs u

Yes, they are both Novaro though

So what you are saying than Ches is there are Spanish variants within the Novaro run.... this isn't a stamp on the cover.. its a whole nother black plate. That means a possibly smaller print run or another possible Spanish variant Novaro Bats 227 for me to have to find! :frustrated:

I wonder how many different variants existed then? hm So these are similar to the Marvel UK pence variants in that a black plate was changed.... very interesting Hector! :applause:

Edited by Define999

The Asm 121 is a spanish edition, and it's in surprisely nice condition.

Heck yea its nice! Like VF looking for sure! Gotta love those Bats too! though I have a question Marmat? Now we know that Novaro art was licensed for the EPUCAL editions in Columbia….. But as far as I know that was the only geographical difference in Novaro art that I had ever seen.

Notice the differences between the books you posted and scans from the Novaro run on GCD. The GCD database has Novaro books of both types there so that doesn’t really answer any questions? Some have speculated their might have been different Novaro printings, some rarer than others? Or maybe different runs slated to go to other Spanish speaking countries? At this point I am not even sure the Columbian EPUCAL books were printed in Columbia or on the Novaro presses themselves in Mexico? Lots to think about…. Can you shed light on what you think might be going on? Thanks! Love the books BTW!

Novarodiff2.jpg

Novaro_diff.jpg

This is what I know about this subject.

Editorial Novaro was a huge, and still is, a publishing company based in Mexico. Starting in the early 50's they begun to translate superhero comics for the spanish speaking market; this includes latin America and Spain. They had production plants in almost every country.

The difference in colors are probably not an intended variant, I mean, it was not done in purpose. I think it was more like a difference in the color mix during the printing process.

But they do translated the text for any country. In Spain, there are lots of words that are used in a different way compared to South America countires and viceversa.

So yes, there are spanish variants, but not because of the covers, the difference is on the texts inside.

Tomorrow I'll check what the indica says, maybe I can find more information

Edited by marmat

PSTAS means Pesetas, the monetary currency of Spain back in the day....
My GL 76 has that as well. I might have to track down the other one just for the heck of it.

Nope... its gonna live raw with my SW #1 German, French canadian, and Mexican versions happily ever after.... lol Its not that I do not like slabs... I just cannot afford to slab my foreigns or get them ss'd. I need every scrap of dough to seek and search out more foreign monsters that need slayin'! (thumbs u
With all the Novaro books I've recently acquired it's put me in the position where I can start focusing more on subbing them for SS. It'll be expensive for sure but I'm bound and determined to have the most extensive Neal Adams & Bernie Wrightson foreign SS collection in the known universe. lol

My GL 76 has that as well. I might have to track down the other one just for the heck of it.

With all the Novaro books I've recently acquired it's put me in the position where I can start focusing more on subbing them for SS. It'll be expensive for sure but I'm bound and determined to have the most extensive Neal Adams & Bernie Wrightson foreign SS collection in the known universe. lol

This way, however, you’ll no longer be able to browse them, which IMO, is one of the most interesting things, even if you don’t know the language. ;)

This way, however, you’ll no longer be able to browse them, which IMO, is one of the most interesting things, even if you don’t know the language. ;)

True but I do have my HCs & TPBs that reprint a lot of it. (thumbs u

Well, if you put it that way, do I have the most extnsive SS ASM 300, 298, 252 collections in the world???? lmao lol

Well, if you put it that way, do I have the most extnsive SS ASM 300, 298, 252 collections in the world???? lmao lol

For now........... :baiting:

You very well might. hm